Calypso-E34

AncestryDNA - has anyone tried it?

My Wife is adopted, and has no information about her birth family - or any family.  Her adoptive parents are both gone now.  I have bought her one of these AncestryDNA kits as a present for Valentine's day, so she can find out a bit about herself, and who knows - she might trace a distant relative, if any have also taken the test.

Have any of you tried this, and if so, have you found it interesting?

It sniffs of big brother to me TBH

Sending off a saliva sample for a DNA reading; it'll be stored on some weird database somewhere and one day you'll wake up with your kidneys on sale :lol: 

As my dress wearing, dish washing, coughing friend d_a_n1979 says, it's all a big spying game! 

Imagine getting arrested for something that you done or didn't do when you where young and stupid and it was all just a laugh but someone thought otherwise and bingo bango your now sharing a cell with big Willy and he's going to make you his big Willy sleeping bag! :lol: 

fuck that shit! :lol: 

oh and the romance isn't dead in your house is it? What's wrong with a bunch of flowers and peck on the cheek?  :lol::lol:;) 

3 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

My Wife is adopted, and has no information about her birth family - or any family.  Her adoptive parents are both gone now.  I have bought her one of these AncestryDNA kits as a present for Valentine's day, so she can find out a bit about herself, and who knows - she might trace a distant relative, if any have also taken the test.

I've not, but it would be fascinating to find out one's racial makeup - in my case there's French and Ukrainian in my DNA and I wonder what else there might be. I doubt you'd find anyone close but you never know. I say go for it - it'll be good to find out something about herself. Look at the very recent story of 'Cheddar Man' - they managed to trace a descendant of his!

And to the detractors - I think Google, Apple, Faceache and your ISP know even more about you...

Edited by e60neindanke

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

As my dress wearing, dish washing, coughing friend d_a_n1979 says, it's all a big spying game! 

Imagine getting arrested for something that you done or didn't do when you where young and stupid and it was all just a laugh but someone thought otherwise and bingo bango your now sharing a cell with big Willy and he's going to make you his big Willy sleeping bag! :lol: 

fuck that shit! :lol: 

oh and the romance isn't dead in your house is it? What's wrong with a bunch of flowers and peck on the cheek?  :lol::lol:;) 

Oi... Twatty McTwatface... I’m all better now :mrgreen: 

It just rings a bit iffy to me TBH...

Just now, d_a_n1979 said:

Oi... Twatty McTwatface... I’m all better now :mrgreen: 

Well I'm not! But you don't see me posting I've got a cough I'm sneezing I'm in bed blah blah blah....

oh no! I'm still working away, in fact right this very second I'm outside in the rain doing what I do! Then I'll be doing all over again come 10:30pm 

and its Mr Twatty McTwatface, thank you very much....

:P 

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

I never buy flowers for Valentines - I refuse to follow the commercial machine’s rules. I buy her flowers at other times, when they are not expected, or when I think she needs a wee lift. Last time was just Friday past in fact!

Just now, Calypso-E34 said:

I never buy flowers for Valentines 

What about a peck on the cheek then? ;):lol: 

I must admit, we buy flowers all year round as they smell nice and sometimes look ok as well! :lol: and I very really buy flowers for this made up day of making money by the card companies....

but what ever you do, DO NOT DO what I did a few years ago! I asked my then girlfriend (she's now my wife!) what she would like for this stupid day? To which she replied, nothing! So I got her, well..... I got her exactly what she asked for! Nothing! 

She then put some stupid rant on faceyjunglebook (which I'm not on so she thought she got away with it! :lol: ) to which I got sent a screen shot of by a friend, I showed her what I had been sent and she went mad and went to bed!

the following day (after she stopped being all mad) I asked what did she want me to do as she got exactly what she asked for, to which she even said I can't be mad at you for doing what I said (for a change ;) ) 

I think I took her out or something to make up for it? Can't remember now? 

Moral of the story- always listen to your wife/girlfriend and do as they say, then they can't shout at you for doing it! ;):lol: 

On 08/02/2018 at 6:38 PM, Yokozuna said:

but what ever you do, DO NOT DO what I did a few years ago! I asked my then girlfriend (she's now my wife!) what she would like for this stupid day? To which she replied, nothing! So I got her, well..... I got her exactly what she asked for! Nothing! 

I'm about to try the same tactic, 15 years into marriage and 23 years into our relationship. You'd think I'd know better... :lol:

2 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I'm about to try the same tactic, 15 years into marriage and 23 years into our relationship. You'd think I'd know better... :lol:

You fool. That will never end well :lol:

3 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

As long as she actually said she wants nothing then your ok......

kind of! :lol: 

7 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I'm a dead man, basically, aren't i! :-D

It depends on how you interpret dead.... ;) 

but like i say, IF she has said don't get me anything then your kind of ok! She will be pissed off but then you play the trump card of "well I do listen to you honey" ;) 

and for once (and I do mean once!) she will have no comeback at all! 

You will be forever trying to make it up to her but at least you would of listened and actually been in the right ;)