rickz

High Mileage F10 or E60?

Hi Guys,

Currently on the look out for a E60 525d or 530d M Sport for around £6500/£7000 ish...

Although one I seen above my budget for £7,700 was a 2008 525D M Sport in my Grey with 86k on the clock (1 former owner)..

Looking towards £7500-£8000 mark, I've noticed I could actually pick up a 520d or 525d SE F10 with circa 130k on the clock.

Which one would you guys go for?

F10 SE or E60 M Sport?

I'd say the answer to that question would depend a lot on the service history.  Not the stamped book, but sheafs of invoices.  At 86k miles and 10 years old, your E60 is going to start getting tired, and might start to need some big ticket items replacing.  Fine if this has been done, but if not..........

At 130k miles, you may well find some of the big ticket items have already been dealt with.

It depends too on how many miles you'll be covering.  The F10 should be worth more when you've finished with it if your annual miles aren't that high.

Personal preference is the other thing.  For me, the F10 is a much nicer car, even in SE guise - and the interior is definitely nicer - and better.

having had an E39 then E61 then F11 I would personally go down the F11 route, the E61 is great to look at & drive but feels a lesser car than the F11 in terms of quality, ergonomics and styling. 

For me, I always go on service history, reems of paperwork and overall condition of the car

Could be that the older car, the E60 has a better spec, overall condition and a very well looked after motor etc... But so could the F10

I like both shapes, the E60 can be made to look quite aggressive IMO and suits being modded etc... Haven’t seen many F10s modded as they’re still bit of a rep car IMO etc

But maintenance, SH and condition would be paramount

On 08/02/2018 at 2:10 PM, rickz said:

F10 SE or E60 M Sport?

I'd say neither. The E60 is far too ugly, and i never have and never would buy any BMW in SE guise, they just look too old man. Try and stretch to an F10 Sport.

Don't go for a pre LCi F10 if it's in 520d guise, it has timing chains made from cheese. Only only only consider one if it's had more oil changes than you've had hot dinners, and I mean as others have said loads of receipts for interim oil changes. Although if it's got 130k on the clock it that might mean it will be o.k.

I personally wouldn't touch one with that engine regardless of mileage. 

A six pot diesel is a far far better engine to have in a car.