Sign in to follow this  
whiskychaser

Paying by card, sir?

I stopped at a motorway services a couple of weeks ago and bought £15 worth of goods. A few days later, I was looking at my bank account online and found I had actually been debited £75.

So how did that happen? Well, you might assume that just like when you are using self service at the supermarket, the total you see on the display is the total you are authorising. Not so. The sales assistant transfers the till total - which you can clearly see - to the card machine manually. And the card machine does not show the amount entered.  The machine at my corner shop shows the total on the card machine. But those at a chain of stores you will find on most motorway services and airports do not.

I got a cheque for £60 with very little fuss. I did not even need to produce a receipt. Now, if I were a cynical person, I might conclude that this is not a rare occurrence. And that the 7 on a keypad is nowhere near the 1.  

Only time my card has been compromised Natwest phoned me within a day and before i even knew. Money added back the same day, i suspect there was a cash point skimming cards the day before. 

They usually have a pretty good idea about whats fraudulent because it tends to happen at scale.