Jump to content
Rich b

B47 f10 2014 fuel economy

Recommended Posts

Had my O2 sensor replaced today. Error code P22AE was reset and has not come back on during my drive from the garage (so far, so good). If I am to gain any improvement in my MPG, does anyone have any idea how long the car's ECU takes to "reset" to the new readings and adjust the fuel mix?

Edited by stourpower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 520D is also showing error P22AE. MPG seems ok and it runs perfectly with no issues.  It is going into the dealership next week for its first MOT & check over. I will see what they say.

 

Thanks for posting the update.

 

Ed:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:47 PM, Yokozuna said:

All you needed to do was put a link to it.....

;) 

 

You little troll, you.

 

Heheheh.  It's a northern thang.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents: if you want 40-50+ mpg, drive accordingly.

 

If you like to stomp the accelerator, cruise at 80, use all the heated gizmos, overtake a lot - do so, but accept diminished fuel returns.

 

Since my 520 land yacht has had an oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, fuel filter change, and a tank of juicy V-Power mega-diesel, I have noticed much better pick-up and pull.

 

My mechanic also flashed my ECU and completely updated my software on Saturday.  Feels as though I've had a re-map.

 

Do I expect 700 miles per tank?

 

Er...nope.

 

Blessings.

 

Dr T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, on my first day driving with my new oxygen sensor (15 mile commute - 40 minutes), I have seen no evidence of an increase in my MPG. It was at 29.6 MPG before (after a few hundred miles of readings) and is still at about 29.x today. Not sure if there is some sort of reset I need to undertake or if the system as a whole takes a while to recognise the new sensor? Was hoping for 5-10 mpg increase but nothing yet.

 

Out of interest, when you accelerate from a stand still an a flat road, with the real-time MPG figure shown in the instrument cluster, what does it go down to? I see mine go down to about 8-10 mpg for the first 10-20 mph, and that's with moderate (keep up with others off the lights, not racing) accelerating - not foot flat to the ground. In my 520D Auto with B47 engine and Eco-Pro setting, that seems excessive?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case, and I may be stating the obvious, but are you reseting the trip computer between tests? If not you may be seeing the average over a long period, which won't change much after each subsequent journey.

Mine is set (ticked) to automatic reset meaning each main journey resets the trip computer.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2018 at 8:54 PM, Dr Taylor said:

 

 

My mechanic also flashed my ECU and completely updated my software on Saturday.  Feels as though I've had a re-map.

 

 

Sounds interesting. Can you explain more and cost?

I take it this is just the equivalent to a main dealer software update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bee said:

Just in case, and I may be stating the obvious, but are you reseting the trip computer between tests? If not you may be seeing the average over a long period, which won't change much after each subsequent journey.

Mine is set (ticked) to automatic reset meaning each main journey resets the trip computer.

Good luck

I did reset the figures after the o2 sensor change. I'll keep an eye on it for a while and take it back to the garage if I don't see an improvement soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bee said:

Only a suggestion but there are 'old fashioned' causes of poor economy, including binding brakes, tyre pressures, etc.

Worth eliminating.

agreed,   and on the e61, the maf sensor did not throw up a fault code but gave poor economy.  I do not know if this is the same in the Fxx series but worth a check.      Also, if the maf is out, it may well throw the oxygen sensor out also.

 

I rarely see under 40mpg on my 535d unless driving through Germany.

Edited by Enzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incidentally, are you running 275 rear tyres? Easily lose a few mpg with those big boys on.

Now its starting to get warmer(!) it's worth copping a feel of your tyre temps after a high speed run in case as under inflation or an alignment problem will likely generate some heat that you'd feel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bee said:

Only a suggestion but there are 'old fashioned' causes of poor economy, including binding brakes, tyre pressures, etc.

Worth eliminating.

 

The brakes don't seem to bind - the car will roll quite freely. I have the winter boots on at the moment but they were only put on just after I got the car (4 weeks ago) and had all pressures set correctly at the time.

 

12 hours ago, Enzo said:

agreed,   and on the e61, the maf sensor did not throw up a fault code but gave poor economy.  I do not know if this is the same in the Fxx series but worth a check.      Also, if the maf is out, it may well throw the oxygen sensor out also.

 

I rarely see under 40mpg on my 535d unless driving through Germany.

 

I do get a reading from the MAF via my OBD plugin but I don't get any voltage from my O2 sensors at all, even after the o2 sensor replacement. This is why I think it needs to go back in and have a more detailed inspection - I won't be able to get it to the garage for a couple of weeks though.

 

6 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Incidentally, are you running 275 rear tyres? Easily lose a few mpg with those big boys on.

Now its starting to get warmer(!) it's worth copping a feel of your tyre temps after a high speed run in case as under inflation or an alignment problem will likely generate some heat that you'd feel.  

 

I have the standard 520D SE fit wheels and tyres but just don't think the rolling components are the issue - I'll let the garage prove me wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, bee said:

Sounds interesting. Can you explain more and cost?

I take it this is just the equivalent to a main dealer software update?

 

So far as I can, the procedure was simply: stick laptop and cable into OBD port.  Press the correct buttons, and wait.  It took 90 seconds to wipe the ECU, and around 5 mins to re-set it.

 

This is just like a dealer software update - same thing.  Point is, in a car with 120+k on the clock, the effect of all my little bits of work has been quite noticeable.  I doubt I'm making any more power at all - I just think I've got most of my 184hp back.  Happy days!

 

Cost....let's just say mates' rates...and nothing at all like a stealership...  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Incidentally, are you running 275 rear tyres? Easily lose a few mpg with those big boys on.

 

 

So true !!  When I bought my E60, a previous owner had fitted incorrect 245 to the rear when it should have been 275 on the staggered set-up. After about a year of ownership I fitted the correct 275 and have never seen anything like the same mpg figures since. Lost up to 5 mpg on long runs, although for city driving I don't think there is a lot of difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this E60 didn't either as standard, it was an option that the original owner ticked on the options list. Another disadvantage is that you can't switch them front to rear either to even out tyre wear. It isn't that I have a huge amount of power that needs 275 either... it isn't an M5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite disappointed with MPG on my 2015 520d M-Sport too (20K on the clock) I never seen 50MPG on long run average 70MPH, no breaking etc. With my previous 2009 E60 520d LCI m-sport I was getting 60MPG easily (same driving style) This is my main disappointment, they made newer/greener car, which consumes extra 15% of fuel :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but the 

5 minutes ago, 5ERG said:

 newer/greener car, 

 

is far far heavier than your previous E60.  

 

My F10 max loaded is over 2300kg.  I don't think my E60 fully loaded weighed anywhere near that, and I've got a smaller/lighter engine now.

 

But the main bonus of the B47 over your 2009 E60 520d is that the valvetrain drive doesn't have components made from cheese.  I would rather put more fuel in it than worry about a four figure repair bill to sort out the dodgy valvetrain drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah but the 

 

is far far heavier than your previous E60.  

 

My F10 max loaded is over 2300kg.  I don't think my E60 fully loaded weighed anywhere near that, and I've got a smaller/lighter engine now.

 

But the main bonus of the B47 over your 2009 E60 520d is that the valvetrain drive doesn't have components made from cheese.  I would rather put more fuel in it than worry about a four figure repair bill to sort out the dodgy valvetrain drive.

yes, this is the only explanation I can think of, the weight.. E60 was about 1600kg and F11 is about 1800kg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 5ERG said:

yes, this is the only explanation I can think of, the weight.. E60 was about 1600kg and F11 is about 1800kg

 

E60 vs F10 in 520d guise (DIN unladen) = 1620kg  vs 1715kg so only 95kg difference

 

Remember the N47 in the F10 was more efficient than the N47 in the E60 so weight isn't impacting the efficiency. The B47 is known through these forums to be less efficient than the N47. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering if anyone managed to successfully remap the B47 engine. They are promising on their websites more power and more MPG, but not sure if we could trust this info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, Tuvoc said:

It isn't that I have a huge amount of power that needs 275 either... it isn't an M5.

Well the torque on a remapped 3l diesel at very accessible rpm is close to the m5's peak torque - there's no way i would try a foot to the floor launch with my 245 cross climate rears on mine. 275 pilot sports get the power down a lot more effectively once its warm and dry! (sorry late reply but its the reason i switch back to staggered in the summer) 

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×