Aggy

Live fuse box

My other half bought me a dash cam so I thought i'd better fit it or i'll never hear the end of it.

So the first place to hard wire it in is the glove box fuse panel.

I connected my tester to each fuse in turn and every one was live even though the ignition was off.

Is this normal ??

I'm looking for a fuse that's only live when the key is turned, are they only in the boot ?

Any help would be great !!

Me too - the cigar lighter is only powered on with the ignition, so perhaps connect to that feed - pain to reach though

On 07/02/2018 at 8:22 PM, Aggy said:

My other half bought me a dash cam so I thought i'd better fit it or i'll never hear the end of it.

So the first place to hard wire it in is the glove box fuse panel.

I connected my tester to each fuse in turn and every one was live even though the ignition was off.

Is this normal ??

I'm looking for a fuse that's only live when the key is turned, are they only in the boot ?

Any help would be great !!

You might have to wait for the system to turn off circuits

I had this issue. 

You have to find a live wire while the key is at the accessory position. Remove key and wait around 2 minutes then it will power down of you have a suitable point. I have an amp in mine and you hear a slight tick when it powers down. 

It gave me a headscratching moment initially but it's just another quirk to come to terms with on the e60. 

I installed a bluetooth mp3 player in the glove box and just ran a piggyback fuse holder to the stereo fuse. I assumed it would turn off with the head unit. Luckily, I haven't had any problems. 

If your struggling and you car has the holder/torch wire it into that, I have wires mine there comes on when I unlock car and powers off roughly 15 after being locked