JasonH

BMW Radiator Drain Plug

I need to flush and replace my coolant, it’s not been done for quite a few years.

My experience of doing this is that the red drain plug, that looks like the picture below, tends to leak once it has been disturbed.

Does anyone know the O-ring dimensions or a good place to get a replacement plug or O-rings from, I think the plug is around £9 normally, which seems a bit excessive for what it is.

BMW Drain Plug.GIF

my rad has no drain on it, instead the manual says to drop the bottom hose, you could always do that instead of disturbing it?

19 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

my rad has no drain on it, instead the manual says to drop the bottom hose, you could always do that instead of disturbing it?

That was my plan but it's not a jubilee clip, it's a nasty metal band that needs to be cut off.

My plan is now:

1) Flush with water and see if the drain plug actually leaks with plain water in the system

2) If it does I have the alternative plug on order, that may be needed

3) Perhaps use the O-rings from the alternative

4) I may also have some O-rings in my kit of 419 assorted O-rings - but I bet I don't!

5) Finally I'll be off to BMW....

Thanks

1 hour ago, JasonH said:

That was my plan but it's not a jubilee clip, it's a nasty metal band that needs to be cut off.

My plan is now:

1) Flush with water and see if the drain plug actually leaks with plain water in the system

2) If it does I have the alternative plug on order, that may be needed

3) Perhaps use the O-rings from the alternative

4) I may also have some O-rings in my kit of 419 assorted O-rings - but I bet I don't!

5) Finally I'll be off to BMW....

Thanks

Ahh crap, mines got those clip on pipes so it's a doddle :(