sams255

F series Gearbox video made by ZF

17 hours ago, DickieG said:

Excellent video, clearly describes the problem and solution, I’ve changed the oil in 8 speed ZF gearbox and can confirm its as simple as shown here.

I was quoted stupid money by my indy around 800 quid, and then he turns around and says its best not done as my car which has 150k now has never had it done. Although some people of other forums have taken it to ZF in dortmund and had it serviced and had a strip down and flush the torque converter etc for around 450 euros.

The common issue with auto gearboxes that aren’t serviced is that as the clutches wear, debris is suspended in the fluid which is then captured by the filter that eventually blocks up and in the process starves the pump of fluid = pretty much instant destruction of the box. If you’ve got to 150k without changing fluid the box has done very well, personally I’d get the fluid and filter done ASAP, your Indy may well be running scared of any come back if the box gives up the ghost not long after he’s done the job and prefers not to get involved. I wonder if he’d give you the same answer if your car had only done 80k miles?

3 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

Very good points Dickie and sams255 really needs to consider driving a distance to the places that have good rep on here...imho..

looks like im gonna have to go to ZF in Dortmund and have a weekend away and do the 400-mile trip. 

3 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

I'm getting my autobox done next month hopefully for £300 with ZF Kit etc. The car approx 110k and not had the service done before, it sure will now that I own it.

who is going to do the service on your autobox?

Dortmund... LOL... My local garage is doing here in East Coast Scotland. There is thread a few months ago discussing various places in England all vouched for by members.. I'm actually getting the zf kit based on that thread. My local has done them before... 

19 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

I'm getting my autobox done next month hopefully for £300 with ZF Kit etc. The car approx 110k and not had the service done before, it sure will now that I own it.

ZF 6HP oil change kit is cheaper than the 8HP kit.

6 hours ago, jake13 said:

ZF 6HP oil change kit is cheaper than the 8HP kit.

True but I think there maybe differences as the 8 is for newer models along with different technicals.......I think..?? I meant more gears system...

Edited by RightHandGoose

5 hours ago, Markn47 said:

I contacted ZF UK earlier this week regarding a gearbox service and they have pointed me in the direction of one of their recommended service facilities local to me who I will be contacting in due course.

Well done but do check out there current reviews......times change over a period of time. But do keep the links recommendations I have posted.....

13 minutes ago, johnleb said:

what a fantastic video.. thanks for posting. I didn't know you could get  a kit. sweet. Mine is on 91k and think it would be good time to have a change. thanks!

For sure......get it done......as for what kit number...me no no senoir...

I have seen some kits for around 200 pounds on eBay with genuine ZF oil. But due to the mileage i have done,  I feel that ZF service is the best option for me. They will drain the torque converter and flush it all out and replace parts and strip bits down. I know someone from the other forums who went there from the UK last year. I have emailed ZF but one of the guys is on Holiday so they will get back to me next week with a price and dates. I used to be stationed out in Germany when I was in the forces and its a fairly ok drive to ZF

Just now, sams255 said:

I have seen some kits for around 200 pounds on eBay with genuine ZF oil. But due to the mileage i have done,  I feel that ZF service is the best option for me. They will drain the torque converter and flush it all out and replace parts and strip bits down. I know someone from the other forums who went there from the UK last year. I have emailed ZF but one of the guys is on Holiday so they will get back to me next week with a price and dates. I used to be stationed out in Germany when I was in the forces and its a fairly ok drive to ZF

That sounds like quite a job. I'm happy just to get the bits and let a garage do it to be honest. It's not rocket science but I can't get under the car. I get you want a full on strip down almost but I've not time or inclination for that. At least I'll put some oil in it, better than nothing.

4 minutes ago, johnleb said:

That sounds like quite a job. I'm happy just to get the bits and let a garage do it to be honest. It's not rocket science but I can't get under the car. I get you want a full on strip down almost but I've not time or inclination for that. At least I'll put some oil in it, better than nothing.

Yea, same situation as you I won't be able to get under a car to do it and some people locally are asking for stupid amounts of money for an oil change and service. Obviously, they are not going to be as good as the manufacturer and I have been told to expect ZF to charge around 450-500 euros for service. I know its a bugger going to Germany but only have to get there the night before and then they do it in morning then come back.

56 minutes ago, sams255 said:

Yea, same situation as you I won't be able to get under a car to do it and some people locally are asking for stupid amounts of money for an oil change and service. Obviously, they are not going to be as good as the manufacturer and I have been told to expect ZF to charge around 450-500 euros for service. I know its a bugger going to Germany but only have to get there the night before and then they do it in morning then come back.

... and a fantastic drive!