Modge

E60 CCC Android system upgrade

I was googling for android head-units and found this topic...

First of all nice retrofit job Misterbish! I've ordered same unit from same Ebay seller. Arrival time was about 3.5 week.

I've just finished installation and got a problem with sound from unit - there's none. Do you have to connect two aux rca's to your car aux somehow? there were 2 rca cables- red & white. Factory CD/FM/Aux sound works fine. I've followed a guide from some blog, but described unit was slightly different hence my question.

Everything else works perfect, including backup camera. 

Hi

No I didn't have to connect anything other than the multiplug extention lead that came with the kit, also had to relocate the most optical cable (green/black) from the oem multiplug to the new multiplug extention that then connects into the back of the ccc unit.

Aux volume is very low on startup, did you crank up the volume while in the android dashboard.

Thanks for coming back so early!

I'm pretty sure everything is connected correctly including optical fibres.

I think I found solution on some Spanish boards (hallelujah google translate). I'll leave it here for next visitors, in case they will encounter same sound problem. From what I read, this problem exists if your car running professional CCC or both USB/AUX interfaces in armrest.

Solution 1

No sound in Professional CCC Browser 8 buttons -> set the AUX function to "mount" in the CAPPL module with NCSExpert and NCSDummy.

Solution 2 - tested and work

Use RCA to Jack 3.5 and connect to car Aux - in my case it's inside armrest.

HTB16I5mmMDD8KJjy0Fdq6AjvXXad.jpg

I ordered RCA to Jack cable from Amazon, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Another tip I found from Spanish boards is to connect to OEM GPS antenna, the one included in kit takes ages to connect/locate if you place behind unit - I've tested this morning and can confirm that it takes up to 5 min to connect. Apparently you can use Fakra to SMA cable, doing so you will loose connection to OEM Nav. You can also get a Fakra splitter to multi connect both Android unit and OEM Nav.

31NZyc1++KL._SX466_.jpg

Yet another tip is to use anti glare screen protector. I've just ordered mine from here https://www.amazon.co.uk/BROTECT-Screen-Protector-iDrive-Navigation/dp/B01CV4QYLG

Edited by bimmer_ldn

I used the default GPS antenna and mounted in the passenger side a pillar, i kept the oem one connected for the CCC unit incase i need to use the oem sat nav, mine doesn't have any connection issues that i have noticed.

Good find on the screen protector i have just ordered a couple.

Let us know how you get on with the RCA jack cable, if it will solve my low volume on startup using AUX i might go down that route

I tested RCA/Jack to Aux connection, works good! Haven't noticed problems with low volume on startup I feel like everything is on similar level.

I still have to change GPS connection, this morning external GPS couldn't locate position at all though it did manage to sync time. I'm not using OEM Nav so I'm not going to miss it.

Edit:

My screen protector arrived Today, it really helps to reduce sun glare on screen.

When fitting, take of the plastic cover - it's fixed with 6 screws. Makes the screen protector installation job much easier.

Edited by bimmer_ldn
new stuff

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, Misterbish said:

Navigating isn't a problem its only a few sub menus that i find you have to use touch screen, the rest i use the idrive knob, i also upgraded my idrive controller to one with the shortcut buttons off a LCI, makes it a lot easier.

Hi, slightly off topic question. Does the LCI controller with the shortcut buttons work on the OEM CCC??

Cheers

Monkey

14 hours ago, dubmonkey said:

Hi, slightly off topic question. Does the LCI controller with the shortcut buttons work on the OEM CCC??

Yes it does, requires a little wire modification, i had to update a couple of modules on mine to get it to work, the worst part was cutting out the larger hole in the centre console trim to fit it.

But well worth it....  

2 hours ago, Misterbish said:

Yes it does, requires a little wire modification, i had to update a couple of modules on mine to get it to work, the worst part was cutting out the larger hole in the centre console trim to fit it.

But well worth it....  

Good news! I found your other thread on doing that.
Also found a guy on German eBay that will machine out the trim to the right shape.  Although the thought of cutting the original M5 aluminium trim does make me cringe. Also can't find the right button combo for the full LCI console swap. They all seem to have DSC where I want the tyre pressure warning button