Modge

E60 CCC Android system upgrade

Has anyone had any experience with installing an Android system in lieu of the I drive CCC?

I have seen the one at the link below and am tempted, but have a few questions for anyone who has used one.

1/how easy are they to install? This claims 30 mins plug & play.

2/Do I still have full functionality of the I drive controller and steering wheel controls?

3/How easy is the navigation system to update and how do you go about this?

Any advice is welcomed!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232480158939

18 hours ago, osealy said:

Interested to hear the answer as well. I think you should be able to get it for under€500.

Found a good youtube demo of this last night and it does look like you can use the existing steering wheel and I drive controls with it as well as/instead of the touch screen.  It seems also that you can switch between the android and BMW OEM CCC system by holding the menu button on the I drive control.  Also looks reasonably easy to install, I'm thinking I might take the plunge!!

17 minutes ago, osealy said:

Looks good. Updates please. I guess it's coming from HK or PRC by the delivery date.

Yeah, HK I believe. 

Will keep you posted on how I get on, think I'm going to go the whole hog and fire in a reversing camera and DAB adapter too!!  

Man the wife isn't going to be happy, I started this whole endeavour off looking at plug and play DAB adapters and now im looking at nearly £500 for a full retro fit of my stereo system!!  Well at least if she kicks me out and I have to live in the BMW I will have a decent entertainment system!!!

I'm sure many will be interested in the report.  Sound quality.  Mirrored Google maps. Etc.  My experience of Bluetooth music streaming with a Kenwood unit was disappointing.  Will you use phone in unit or mulf? To save wiring Mic.

4 minutes ago, osealy said:

I'm sure many will be interested in the report.  Sound quality.  Mirrored Google maps. Etc.  My experience of Bluetooth music streaming with a Kenwood unit was disappointing.  Will you use phone in unit or mulf? To save wiring Mic.

From what this lot claim the mic etc is all built into the head unit and its a straight swap with an extra wiring adapter for connecting it up so no need for a MULF or coding etc.

Just scanned the ebay ad so the answer could have been in there, but given that it's touch screen, does that render the iDrive obsolete? Or does it work both from the screen and the iDrive?

35 minutes ago, amauvis said:

Just scanned the ebay ad so the answer could have been in there, but given that it's touch screen, does that render the iDrive obsolete? Or does it work both from the screen and the iDrive?

Works with both apparently.

No just the unit for now, I brought a reversing camera from another vendor, fitted the same type camera to the girlfriends E90 and it works great.

Once I install it I will better know what extras it will need, I'm hoping my oem dab will work OK with this.

On a side note I got the vendor to throw in a free obd dongle as part of the deal

1 hour ago, Misterbish said:

No just the unit for now, I brought a reversing camera from another vendor, fitted the same type camera to the girlfriends E90 and it works great.

Once I install it I will better know what extras it will need, I'm hoping my oem dab will work OK with this.

On a side note I got the vendor to throw in a free obd dongle as part of the deal

He's trying to charge £40 quid for a 3 quid dongle, the peenarse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD-Board-Diagnostics-Module-A-Range-products-we-sell-/252092583803?hash=item3ab1e38f7b

£2.19 on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supper-Bluetooth-Compatible-Android-Support/dp/B014WHK27W/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NP6Y4NY1CQT8QR9WSMH5

That sort of greed almost puts me off ordering from him. 

Edited by Deviant

Hasn't arrived yet, bit annoyed about that, guess the vendor doesn't hold stock himself and orders elsewhere when he gets a sale

Will post as soon as it arrives

5 minutes ago, Deviant said:

This android dab tuner at £26 delivered is cheaper than his £56.50 delivered offering too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-DAB-Radio-Aerial-Tuner-Amplified-Antenna-For-Android-6-0-7-1-Car-Stereo/122946977396

That one wont work with the android v4.4.4 that the head unit runs on though.

1 hour ago, Modge said:

That one wont work with the android v4.4.4 that the head unit runs on though.

Well spotted, all the other ones didn't mention android versions at all.

Just search ebay for dab android 4.4 antenna £22.00 and upwards. 

I'm still waiting for my android unit to arrive it was ordered on the 17th March from a UK supplier who had stock, i thinking he was telling me porkies, anyway he assures me i should have it by the middle of next week.