dee121

Run Flat Tyres to Ordinary Tyres

2008 BMW 5 Series 520d 177BHP 2L    Tyres fitted at the moment are:-  Run Flats  225/50/17"

Hi

I am wanting to fit ordinary tyres onto my car. I bought the car in the summer and it had the four Run Flats fitted.

Will the alloy wheel that the Run Flats are on be compatible with ordinary tyres.  Are the alloy wheels standard?  

Or will the wheel be specially made to take Run Flats.

And do you recommend me changing the Run Flats for ordinary tyres?

Looking for a BIT OF guidance here.

Thanks Guys

Edited by dee121

13 hours ago, dee121 said:

2008 BMW 5 Series 520d 177BHP 2L    Tyres fitted at the moment are:-  Run Flats  225/50/17"

Hi

I am wanting to fit ordinary tyres onto my car. I bought the car in the summer and it had the four Run Flats fitted.

Will the allow wheel that the Run Flats are on be compatible with ordinary tyres.  Are the allow wheels standard?  

Or will the wheel be specially made to take Run Flats.

And do you recommend me changing the Run Flats for ordinary tyres?

Looking for a BIT OF guidance here.

Thanks Guys

Fine, swap them out. You'll have zero issues, but a comfier ride

IIRC it'd be worth going for XL tyres to give you some rigidity in the side walls, but they'll still be more compliant than RFTs!

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

IIRC it'd be worth going for XL tyres to give you some rigidity in the side walls, but they'll still be more compliant than RFTs!

I've never driven on runflats so I don't know what they are like. My car already had XL non-RFT when I got it. I've since changed to standard rather than XL tyres, and there was a noticeable improvement in ride quality with that change. So I'm not so sure about the advice on getting XL tyres. They may be better than RFT but in my view they are still harsh in terms of ride quality.

Never had any harshness from XL tyres and they're an OEM spec on the E39s (I know this is an E60). They'll give better sidewall rigidity as well IIRC, so a more compliant drive, but not as rough as RFTs etc

However, if the OP wants a much softer ride, then yes, non-XL tyres would be fine

I had a nail in the sidewall of one of my RFs last summer, I bought a new replacement £150 approx.

Big regret. Should have gone for 2 non RFs instead, and replaced the other 2 RFs in due course.

My 520 white lines like a b@gger and Im certain it's they tyres.

There are many subjects in this forum regarding run flats..

Some garages may not fit them as the car was designed for run flats therefore changing to non-runflats could cause the garage issues.. There was only one garage near me that wouldn't change them over (for insurance reasons he said) he is an independent tyre fitter. SETyres had no problem changing them over.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tuvoc said:

I've never driven on runflats so I don't know what they are like. My car already had XL non-RFT when I got it. I've since changed to standard rather than XL tyres, and there was a noticeable improvement in ride quality with that change. So I'm not so sure about the advice on getting XL tyres. They may be better than RFT but in my view they are still harsh in terms of ride quality.

I think it's advisable to get XL tyres if it's an E61. if it's a saloon then non XL might be OK. I have zero evidence for any of this - just what a trusted tyre fitter told me !

On 2/11/2018 at 11:05 AM, Blobby said:

Some garages may not fit them as the car was designed for run flats therefore changing to non-runflats could cause the garage issues.. There was only one garage near me that wouldn't change them over (for insurance reasons he said) he is an independent tyre fitter. SETyres had no problem changing them over.

A colleague was telling me just that yesterday.  His son bought non rft tyres for his 1 Series, local tyre fitter told him to go do one when he turned up asking for them to be fitted as they refused to fit non rft tyres to a BMW that was meant to have rfts.

I had to admit that was the first time I had ever heard that.  Loads of folk have gone down the non rft route but I had never heard about issues with tyre fitters until that and what Blobby has said.

I'm glad I found this subject. My fronts won't be far off needing to be changed and I've got a slow puncture near nearside I think.

Swapping them out for non RFT seems a sensible option.

I've read this about RFT being a harsher ride

Edited by M&E manager
My phone