sams255

F11 530D oil Level

I have had my F11 530D since April 2017 and with 2 oil changes under its belt since I purchased it, it has been ok when it comes to the weekly check on the oil level. Since its last service 5,000 miles ago I have noticed it is starting to consume oil now it's in the middle of min and max. I know with my Audi A4 it would consume oil between services, but for the last 15k miles I had this car the oil level has not dropped and only now I am noticing it. any ideas? 

What age and mileage is on the car?

Its normal for modern engines to consume some oil. 

In the days of M54 engines acceptable oil usage was up to a litre per 1,000 miles.  According to BMW!

Make sure you check the oil when the engine is fully up to temp (as per BMW recommendation). There is big difference in height between cold and hot.

Have you ruled out a leak? With all the engine covers these days a leak may not be obvious until it fills up the covers and overspills.

I had a leak from transmission oil cooler lines on my Senator, didn't know until it filled up the underbelly and dribbled out when I parked on a slope......

it was only serviced by the dealer 5k ago there doesn't seem to be any oil around the engine bay or dripping from the tray at the bottom.  I suppose just monitor it for now. 5w 30 is that what i need or 0w 30 ?

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

5w 30 is that what i need or 0w 30 ?

Either, as long as its to LL04 spec you will be rightly.

OW oil will make it slightly easier to start the engine on cold days but here in the UK its really not an issues if its 5W or 0W.

1 hour ago, sams255 said:

it was only serviced by the dealer 5k ago there doesn't seem to be any oil around the engine bay or dripping from the tray at the bottom.  I suppose just monitor it for now. 5w 30 is that what i need or 0w 30 ?

As Andrew said. And per my post from yesterday: 

My car Is now at 154k and the fill 1-litre oil on warning light has come on again. I filled 1 litre around 150k. Couldn't see anything obvious but today I found out there was a dip stick and checked that (although the engine was warm, see pics below)  i have now noticed oilly splash near the AGR manifold maybe some hose is cracking or something see pics below.  But dipstick seems to show an ok amount even for a warm engine. so could it be a faulty oil sensor and or split damaged pipe

IMAG3184.jpg

IMAG3185.jpg

IMAG3186.jpg

IMAG3187.jpg

IMAG3188.jpg

IMAG3191.jpg