While checking the brakes on the car a week ago I noticed a piece of stone wedged in the front tyre which I dug out. I lost the piece before I could take a picture but it was 10mm long and about 2mm wide at the top almost perfectly rectangular but with a very sharp wedge shape that penetrated the tyre. I could see the steel belt through the hole it caused but chose to put my head in the sand for a week. Doing the oil this weekend I had the wheels off the ground and could spin them freely and there was the hole staring at me, funnily enough the tyre didn't magically mend itself!

So what to do? This is my front tyre with 5.8mm of tread left damn it. The only option is to replace the tyre. The last time I changed tyres due to a bulge in the side wall in one tyre and a cut in another, I replaced all 4 and kept 2 tyres just in case I had a RFT disaster in the future. Last night I went to check and one of the 2 tyres had 4.3mm of tread so I thought yes, problem solved with little cost to be incurred, I'd just swapp it for the newly holed one on the car. It has been in the shed for 4 years with the 2nd of the salvaged tyres lying on top of it so I took it down off the shelf and pushed it to roll across the patio. Hmm, the tyre should just roll? Not this one as it has a darned flat spot from where it has been sitting untouched for the 4 years. End of another tyre and it had just been taking up space in my shed!

So I've had to order 2 new tyres and this time I'm going with Michelin Primacy 3 RFTs that according to the specs should be better mileage and better in the wet. £440 for 2 tyres and they'll be fitted at my friendly HiQ tyres in Tunbridge Wells (who took the 2 old tyres from me to dispose of) on Wednesday. Wasn't expecting that expense just before our holiday but can't put a price on the safety of my Fam. :rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew Ashton

I can understand why you replaced the two. After loosing an argument with a pothole in my E60, I replaced only one tyre on the front and was worried about it being different from its mate on the same axle, but I had not issues with it for the next 30,000 miles, other than it wearing out of course but I was changing fronts at different times. 

I have fitted the same Michelin tyre as you have gone for on my summer fronts , great grip in the bends and in the wet too.

What was wrong with the other tyre in your shed?  Surprised that one had flat spotted without any weight on it.

But yes, spend money on tyres, don't save it.

1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

I can understand why you replaced the two. After loosing an argument with a pothole in my E60, I replaced only one tyre on the front and was worried about it being different from its mate on the same axle, but I had not issues with it for the next 30,000 miles, other than it wearing out of course but I was changing fronts at different times. 

I have fitted the same Michelin tyre as you have gone for on my summer fronts , great grip in the bends and in the wet too.

What was wrong with the other tyre in your shed?  Surprised that one had flat spotted without any weight on it.

But yes, spend money on tyres, don't save it.

Only one was flat spotted the other just had too little tread 2.8mm I wasn’t prepared to use it. Shouldn’t have kept it in the first place. They were also 2010 tyres so too old on top of it all. 

58 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

They were also 2010 tyres so too old on top of it all. 

6 years is the recommended max age of tyres I think.

Not sure if that will be coming to an MOT test near you......

wont be an mot fail but they will advise it if they bother looking a the date, typically only look at the condition.

I think the 5, 6 or 10 years depending on who you talk to is a bit of a con. Actually 10 years is probably closer to the truth on premium branded products although I know you Andrew had problems after 2 years with some dodgy tyres on your car and a friend's Pirrelli  tyres on a 458 Ferrari started showing those hairline cracks in the rubber after 4 years. The 2 Goodyears I've scrapped today both looked to be in reasonable condition other than one of them looking round - square - round (get the jist)

58 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Be interested to hear how you get on with the Michelins Matthew as those are what I hope to put on when ready.

To add to what I said early about that tyre, a big plus is that it has a rim protector which has saved my powder coated rims from damage from one of Renfrewshire Councils finest potholes.  They are a direct replacement of the Primacy ZP which is an OEM tyre.

Just realised, sorry to disappoint you @Matthew Ashton I can't sell you my tyres as they are too big for your set up.:P