CS10

Drivers side damaged door seal

Hi everyone.

I picked up a used f10 last week but didn't notice the damage to the inside door seal when I brought it otherwise I'd have mentioned it to the garage.

However, I don't think it's going to be an issue, other than cosmetic if anyone was to see it.

That being said, if it's not too much trouble to fix/replace, I'll do it.

Anyone know how tricky this is to do?

Thanks in advance.

CraigIMG_20180204_160303.thumb.jpg.6b31ffa68ffc24f615948c76e6a66308.jpg

Unsure! The rest of the car is really good condition (bar the driver door handle - the comfort access doesn't work - I've asked garage about this too).

That seal damage is strange isn't it!

The mileage is 95k. High I know.

I was happy with the service history etc.

I've contacted the garage where I got it from to see what they say.

Whilst I'm waiting, I've tried to find the part.

Am I right in thinking it is item 1 on this diagram? Or have I got that completely wrong?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FW12-EUR-06-2013-F10-BMW-520d&diagId=51_7854

Thanks!

I'm not overly concerned about the mileage.

It's above average for sure, but full service history etc.

I could have brought a lower mileage F10 for the same price, but with no extras what so ever.

This has a lot of optional extras on it which swayed me.

Does that part I've identified look like the right part?

2 minutes ago, CS10 said:

Haha maybe yeah.

I wonder if the soft close door function plays any part in this wear?

I don't think so. It looks someone using the rubber as a lever point to get themselves out of the car and it seems to start in the driver's seat as it is looking quite worn on the right side.

1 minute ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I don't think so. It looks someone using the rubber as a lever point to get themselves out of the car and it seems to start in the driver's seat as it is looking quite worn on the right side.

Ah yeah, could be. Prob gripping on to it like you say.

21 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I was going to say a potentially disabled driver too, as the heavy seat scuff wear and seal damage does look like hand assisted entry and exit?

22 minutes ago, Derek Mc said:

I was going to say a potentially disabled driver too, as the heavy seat scuff wear and seal damage does look like hand assisted entry and exit?

Yes perhaps your right.
Anyone used anything to make leather look good again?

Got any more pics as it looks like it has gone into the body of the leather through the surface, so may need a proper restoration paint process?

3 minutes ago, Derek Mc said:

Got any more pics as it looks like it has gone into the body of the leather through the surface, so may need a proper restoration paint process?

I'll get some later when I finish work :).

Is the proper restoration paint process something I can do myself or does it need to be taken somewhere to be done?

1 minute ago, CS10 said:

I'll get some later when I finish work :).

Is the proper restoration paint process something I can do myself or does it need to be taken somewhere to be done?

You can attempt it yourself but the people doing this day in and day out will have all the tools and the spray gun to lay down the leather dye. Their results will probably be far superior to anything we can do and the seat will look close to new.

Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

You can attempt it yourself but the people doing this day in and day out will have all the tools and the spray gun to lay down the leather dye. Their results will probably be far superior to anything we can do and the seat will look close to new.

Expensive job?

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

What he said for sure, if the rest of the car is sound and it's a keeper it's worth getting professionally taken care of I'd say

I do know that having watched a few cars on WheelerDealers get done they spent about £300/£400 on the front pair typically so a local firm may well want a ton or something for the drivers seat only?

Edited by Derek Mc