DirtyHarry88

ZF 6 speed transmission issues

Sorry bud I don't know, but £900 sounds like nearly 3 man days which is along time. It cost me £200 to get one banks cylinder head cover gasket done. Was keen a garage did it as my wife was very pregnant at the time and I couldn't afford to be without it for long.

If it's not a daily driver, DIY? It doesn't look too bad. Once you get the front end stuff out the way like the rad and fan etc just to give a bit more room.

Sod that! Looks like an absolute pain in the arse for what it is and most DIY guides suggest the same.

Garage is fine with one side only for rocker and timing covers at no additional cost. He said that cost is a worst case scenario though.

I’m doing both banks rocker gaskets on mine diy, split over 2 weekends, did the OS bank last Sunday 

im doing vanos valve seals and top timing cover seals at same time, the NS bank is pi$$ing out the timing cover and corner of rocker, I left this one till last as access to the cover looks slightly worse and thought the other bank would be a slightly easier practice

not a fun job by any means, but possible diy. I used  DIS to set the valvetronic to minimum lift before removing the motor dash lit up with engine fault, reduced power. But on refitting all and cycling the ignition twice, my heart started beating normal again when engine ran fine and all warnings off. Same fun again I spose doing NS bank this sunday

recommended to replace all cam sensor o’rings, eccentric sensor seal, timing cover seals, vanos valve seals, spark plug tubes, vac pump seal

double work removing pollen filters and intakes and cross bar, and setting valvetronic to minimum lift by diagnostics - not drastic amount of double work doing each bank separate, but to be honest your best doing both

Maybe so but if the left hand timing cover doesn't leak for a good while then it'll be money well saved for the time being. I'd rather take the chance given what it is relative to the cost.

Edited by DirtyHarry88

These engines do seem to like to spring leaks, I’ve had vac pump leak, eccentric sensors seals leak, oil cap, breather pipe split, alt bracket leak, now a more serious leak from upper front timing case and rocker. It’s been a continual Chad over the past 2 years. My alternator now been soaked again

I’m not stuck for a car so not been using my 550 since found this oil a proper leak this time, and done all replacements myself, hate to imagine the costs otherwise, feel your pain (without having felt it fully myself)

my e39 with m62 engine had leaky rocker gaskets too, I can advise don’t let them get too bad, once that oil hits exhaust it stinks and takes ages to clear

9 hours ago, Iain550 said:

My alternator now been soaked again

Soaked from the rocker cover seals or from part #2? 

Some bright spark in the N62 design team decided it would be a real wheeze to put an o ring between the block and the alternator support bracket to  leak oil from. It's an engine support job as you need to take the near side engine mount off to get the alternator bracket off.

Andrew, the alt bracket seal a couple months ago, but since then the rocker gasket and top timing seal have both been leaking a fair bit onto my nicely cleaned up alternator. Should be the end of it when rockers done

58 minutes ago, DirtyHarry88 said:

Back to transmission for a minute, could the guibo be anything to do with less than perfect shifts?

Looking through the car's history I don't think it's ever been changed.

Yes it can cause clunks and thuds, mainly when changing gear and putting the lead foot down, you can normally see if it is starting to fail as it will be splitting.

19 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Yes it can cause clunks and thuds, mainly when changing gear and putting the lead foot down, you can normally see if it is starting to fail as it will be splitting.

I'll get the chap who's doing the gaskets to check that before looking at the gearbox or TC then.