DirtyHarry88

ZF 6 speed transmission issues

I see what they did, they bodged up a shagged gearbox, lubeguard isn't a typo its a bodgeit and scarper oil. Your box is shagged no doubt, probably going to cost £2500 to put it right if you are lucky.

Zip kit and Lubeguard, they may as well have shoved sawdust in it!

http://www.lubegard.com/C-110/Transmission

50 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

probably going to cost £2500 to put it right if you are lucky.

I was quoted up to £3,200 to put my E60 box right after it threw its Eclutch. That was for a full refurb.

It's these V8s, they chew up the boxes....... :(

No, not at all....there are plenty of solid BMW Indys across this country that this Forum will tell you to go too....and they work,  just ask but do search the forum as well.........not is all lost friend.

If you can get the box out of the car, it's not too difficult to overhaul it. The main issue would be of vacuum testing the valve body so you can ream out the bore to fit an oversize valve. ;)

On 03/02/2018 at 5:28 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

You may be surprised at which gear it is in. If I leave work I'm straight out into a 50MPH area. Mine will sit in 5th gear but at 2500RPM still accelerating until the box oil has heated up. When the torque converter locks up when the box is up to temperature it'll plod along at 1300RPM, but still in 5th. My gearbox has the xHP remap on which allows me to see on the dash what gear it's in instead of just D. It shows D5 for example.

xHP - Me want.  So, how much for a combined engine and gearbox remap?  I need to get my thermostat sorted, then the trip to Chester is a 500 mile round trip.

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's these V8s, they chew up the boxes....... :(

Nah they don't have enough torque to do that :lol: :lol:.....

Seriously it has to be lack of maintenance that BMW say we don't have to do 

I'm going into hiding now :ph34r:

DirtyHarry88 there's a lot of advice on this thread. I'd be interested to find out who has actually removed, stripped, diagnosed and repaired a 6HP box themselves - and is therefore giving first-hand advice.

Based on your symptoms, engine and mileage I stick by my original diagnosis, your torque converter lockup clutch is a bit worn. Some new oil, even at 30k miles since the last change will help. Warmer weather will help. A full fix is likely to be to remove the torque converter, have it re-manufactured and refit with new oil. Parts cost around £200 for remanufacturing your torque converter, £200 sump, £200 oil. Then add labour.

mine started out with the same problem had oil and filter changed (lifelong only) and then over time got worse,  tried Dr Tranny fix did nothing in the end had torque converter reconditioned at Sussex Auto`s and fine since

43 minutes ago, JasonH said:

DirtyHarry88 there's a lot of advice on this thread. I'd be interested to find out who has actually removed, stripped, diagnosed and repaired a 6HP box themselves - and is therefore giving first-hand advice.

Based on your symptoms, engine and mileage I stick by my original diagnosis, your torque converter lockup clutch is a bit worn. Some new oil, even at 30k miles since the last change will help. Warmer weather will help. A full fix is likely to be to remove the torque converter, have it re-manufactured and refit with new oil. Parts cost around £200 for remanufacturing your torque converter, £200 sump, £200 oil. Then add labour.

OP's sump pan is metal.