jwarrens84

E39 528i with S-EDC / E39 530d Sport Touring

Thought I would start a project thread to share my E39 528i with a rather unique factory spec.

I bought this to replace my E36 328i Touring which suffered from rear corroded brake lines. Decided to sell as I didn't want to stomach the large bill (later found out it's not that bad of a job). Sold that early summer, and bought a E46 318ci M Sport, worst decision!! A few weeks later and the vacuum pump failed and back filled the servo with oil, and me landed me in £850 bill. A few weeks after that the DSC module failed on me, and I decided to get rid!

I really missed have a straight six, and set my eye on owning a E39. Really wanted a facelift, 6 cylinder petrol, touring M sport with a manual box and ended up with the complete opposite E39.

Purchased at the beginning of November last year, from a average listing on eBay "BMW 528i Luxury Pack" with 146500miles on the clock with 15 stamps in the book. It was fully loaded when ticking the options list - pretty much everything, minus PDC and a sunroof. The bodywork is pretty good condition, tiny bit of bubbling at the rear.The two tone paint is not too everybody's taste, personally I am not a fan. I will eventually get around to painting it back to full arctic silver.

Factory Options:-

Ordered Options
0216 Servotronic
0223 Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
0261 Rear Side Airbags
0291 Bolted X Spoke 5-8Jx17-235/45
0302 Remote Control Anti-Theft System
0352 Double Glazing for Side and Rear Windows
0354 Graduated Tinted Windscreen
0428 Warning Triangle and First Aid Kit
0431 Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror
0456 Comfort Seats - Electric
0464 Ski Bag
0494 Seat Heating for Front Seats
0500 Headlamp Wash + Intensive for Windscreen
0522 Xenon Headlamps
0534 Automatic Air Conditioning
0540 Multi-Function Steer Wheel + Cruise Ctrl
0609 Navigation System with OBM, TV and OBC
0628 Telephone Package
0629 Phone - Fixed
0694 CD Preparation
0773 Polished Vavona Wood Trim
0812 GB Specification
0850 Additional Fuel for Export Vehicles
0863 Dealer Network - Europe
0877 Remote Alarm Setting Only
0880 English Handbook
0962 Registration-plate carrier front, deletion

Standard Options
0260 Side Airbags for Driver and Passenger
0411 Electric Windows - Front and Rear
0520 Front Foglamps
0853 Instrument Panel Lettering in English

Info Options
0459 Electric Adj - Front Seats + Driver Mem
0473 Front Centre Arm Rest
0488 Lumbar Support for Front Seats
0555 On Board Computer
0602 On-Board Monitor with TV and OBC

Jobs needing do

- SatNav is intermittent
- Correct the two-tone paint scheme
- 17" BBS RC alloys need a good refurb.
- Washer jets are very weak, I'm guessing the pump is shot, or the lines and filters are blocked.
- Some of the pixels are gone on the instrument cluster, but is pretty good and readable.

- Full service
- Gearbox & Diff oil change
- Cooling system refresh - Water Pump / Thermostat / Expansion Tank / Radiator
- The box can be pretty slow changing from 4th to 5th. I'm hoping disconnecting the battery will reset the learning algorithm on the box, and maybe fix the SatNav as well.

IMG_3793_1.thumb.jpg.4fcbca73f5689186010ed0bb9191af60.jpg

IMG_3795_1.jpg

IMG_3150_1.jpg

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3898_1.JPG

Edited by jwarrens84
Add pics1

Blimey I've never seen s-edc on an e39 before. These cars continue to surprise me 9 years after I bought my first one 

Really nice E39. Interesting spec too. Bet those shocks are expensive to replace.... lol. Does the system all work ok?

The seat buttons are for the heated seats, it’s the old style with the adjustment on a seperate button.

The S-EDC button doesn’t work, but they are always set to automatic. And yes, they’re reassuringly expensive to replace.

Picked up this beauty this week, pre 99 single stage airbag with telephone buttons.

B3A0E77F-24E8-4EDC-9CC3-8A4826F34379.jpeg

Edited by jwarrens84

Bad news yesterday, failed the MOT on brake lines (BMW kryptonite).

Reason(s) for failure

• Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
  • Offside Brake pipe excessively corroded main to rear (3.6.B.2c)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Nearside Rear sill corroded but outside seatbelt prescribed area
  • Offside Rear sill corroded but outside seatbelt prescribed area
  • Nearside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Offside Front brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1)
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit on limit (4.1.E.1)

My E36 328i suffered the same fate, both rear lines corroded badly and I decided to sell because of it, which was a terrible mistake on reflection. I’m in two minds what to do really. It's such a rare spec E39, which deserves to be saved!

The front brakes and tyres are an easy one, which I was going to do anyway. The front brake lines I understand are much easier to replace and are only slightly corroded.

The rear sill corrosion is a concern, I will need to investigate how bad it is.

Offside Brake pipe excessively corroded main to rear (3.6.B.2c). Typically front and rear brake lines come up as failures more than main to rear lines. 

How bad of a job is this? Is it an easy access simpler routing path? I’m hoping it will be less labor intensive, just a much longer piece of material is required.

Edited by jwarrens84

It was poorly listed on eBay last year. The seller was a real car collector, he had a spat of Jags and Daimler's, plus a mint 924 S and a Maserati 3200, plus other various.

He wasn't keen on BMW’s and bought it from a local family (spent its whole life in Swindon) for peanuts, and then I got it for peanuts.

Thought it looked familiar, I enquired about it on there but it had gone by the time I got a reply.

You did well if you got it for less than it was up for, real bargain.

Edited by Pete Soulby

Alloys.....hmmmm.....

Keep these awesome BBS RC and get them refurbed or go for a pair of Style 32’s which are equally awesome B)

I also want to rip out the vavona trim for gloss black.

Edited by jwarrens84

1 hour ago, jwarrens84 said:

Alloys.....hmmmm.....

Keep these awesome BBS RC and get them refurbed or go for a pair of Style 32’s which are equally awesome B)

I also want to rip out the vavona trim for gloss black.

Get a set of 17" Style 32s or 66s; run them and get the BBS's properly refurbed (for me, sparkle silver centres or gunmetal grey, with hand polished lips); they'd look awesome ;) 

Personally I like the vavona trim; but it suits my sand beige interior. I've never been keen on the gloss black; but you could always get yours wrapped in any finish you like. A CF finish would suit well IMO

Never heard of E39 with EDC. Is the button connected to anything or just for show?

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, Mazi said:

Never heard of E39 with EDC. Is the button connected to anything or just for show?

Definitely real - check out the rubber cap on top of the strut.

2 weeks later and the E39 is back with a passed MOT.  7 meters of new brake lines to the rear, new brake hoses and brake fluid. The garage owner had a lovely red E34 535i manual factory sport tucked up in the corner.  Now I can focus on giving it a good service, cooling system overhaul, discs and pads, new rubber all round and refurbish the BBS RC alloys.

Also managed to pick up a 97 sale brochure, enjoy for now.

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

Edited by jwarrens84

Fitted a OEM roof rack today,  looks fairly decent. I’m not sure what bike racks are compat with these. I also replaced the mircrofilters with Meyle ones. Removed half a tree on the passengers side.

Next weekend I’m fitting new rubber on the rears with Pirelli P7 

967C2F82-745F-4F7D-BACB-2250216402C6.jpeg

8A40B7DD-3870-48CB-ADE4-142947798508.jpeg

204432BF-26EA-40C0-AA2B-12478A79C827.jpeg

Awesome car - crazy options!! Wonder if it was a dealership demonstrator or something?

Not long after I bought my impressively optioned 530 I saw a facelift 540 for sale even more optioned than my 530 or this 528. Had S-EDC too, that did. Also sunroof, active seats... the list went on and on.

Will be interesting to see if the EDC can be brought back to life. If you're lucky it's nothing more than a faulty acceleration sensor! :) What happens when you press the button - no green LED? That means there is a fault and the system has turned itself off. Need to get yourself set up with a cable and INPA to read the fault codes and see what's up. WDS has all the diagrams and useful technical description of the system too, which will help troubleshoot...

https://www.pss-autosoft.net/diagrams/bmw/index.htm

Needs internet explorer and java working, or alternatively there's an Android app...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dcsoftware.eu.bmwwdsviewer.free

Oh and lucky you having servotronic steering, just like me! Hope you don't have a leaking rack anytime soon! :)

I’m considering parting with this, after a trip down to the coast to see a E39 530d Sport Touring. 

Ive only driven it a handful of times in the past 6 months, and  want something more usable. I original set out to get a E39 sport Touring in the first place.

Please let me know if anyone is interested. 

Edited by jwarrens84