Sign in to follow this  
Back2Beemer

Harman Kardon - EQ tips?

Hi all, 

Took delivery of my new car yesterday, and absolutely in love (apart from the fact it was delivered to me with a damaged rear bumper, but that's one for another day!).

I know everyone's ears are different, and it's subjective of the kind of music you listen to, but does anyone have any "sweet spot" recommendations for the HK EQ settings? I've had a fiddle about but can't seem to get a sound I'm really happy with.

Do people generally have Logic 7 turned on or off? I have my fader set ever so slightly rear and that seems to have made an improvement to things too, but the whole sound just isn't quite right for me and I can't put my finger on what it is.

Any suggestions / pics would be most welcome!

Cheers.

Thanks very much. Yeah I know that it will need time to bed in - was the same with my last car.

Tried to have a feel under the front seats for the subs going, but couldn’t feel anything! Anyone else noticed this? I’m taking it they’re located under those plastic covers with the holes in? If so they are small for subs!

You want to make a banana shape. Start from default setting on bass and raise by 1 or 2 most, then each setting lower by 1 or two notches with middle being lowest then raise back up again to form a banana shape.

remember going higher will distort, going lower will clarify but decrease max volume. Will post a pic of mine tomorrow. I listen to a varied amount and types of music and everyone compliments the HK.

also, remember, it will sound better once broken in.

Back2Beemer, glad you raised this. Took delivery of my 530e 2 weeks ago and so far I have not been impressed at all with the HK system. I have come from a standard speake build in a C Class which so far was more impressive.

healeyfels, thank you. I’ll try those settings tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Clembo said:

Back2Beemer, glad you raised this. Took delivery of my 530e 2 weeks ago and so far I have not been impressed at all with the HK system. I have come from a standard speake build in a C Class which so far was more impressive.

healeyfels, thank you. I’ll try those settings tomorrow.

I’ve had a good hour in the car tonight and followed some of the advice - thanks everyone for input by the way.

I have got to a place where I’m happy, so given some bed in time I’m sure it’ll get better and better. I’ll share my EQ setup tomorrow, and I have a fun drive to Welwyn Garden City and back from Newcastle, so that’ll give it a good few hours bed in time ha. 

On 1/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, Back2Beemer said:

Thanks very much. Yeah I know that it will need time to bed in - was the same with my last car.

Tried to have a feel under the front seats for the subs going, but couldn’t feel anything! Anyone else noticed this? I’m taking it they’re located under those plastic covers with the holes in? If so they are small for subs!

It definitely needs bedding in then. When I first got mine I thought the subs were turned off, now there is not a chance in hell you are missing them. With bass turned up past 7 things in the car vibrate even at 50% volume.

After a good hour and a half of fettling, and 550 miles of driving yesterday, this is the EQ I’ve settled on (I like a decent amount of bass).

It sounds really clear, and is a good balance for a varied taste in music!

Logic 7 is switched off - I think it sounds artificial.

Be a good spot for people to share their settings so people can try different things!

D5B3D09B-900E-4732-97C0-CBEAF25D9208.jpeg

Note I have a F11 which may well be different. I use the 'banana' technique but only at the treble end. I stay flat through the bass. I have logic 7 on and a small rear bias. Took me months to settle on these settings ...

Well, just goes to show that taste is very individual. Tried the OP suggestion, sounds to distorted and rumbly, tried the second one and sounds too muffled haha

3 hours ago, AdamBell said:

Why does the HK system have to bed in? 

Is this mentioned in the manual and how long does it take?

Same as anything with moving parts really, but speakers especially need to bed in to sound their best. Turning them up too high straight away can end up blowing them.

It depends really, but certainly a good few weeks for it to start sounding as good as it can. 

Some good info here:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/how-run-speakers

Edited by Back2Beemer