axell

520D - Oil Service

Hi All, i thought i would sign in and ask for some advise; just about to do the 1st Oil Change on my 520D M Sport - called the dealer and they quoted £300 (Filter, OIl, Labour)?

Is this for real?

How much did you pay for yours to be done?

Thanks,

Axell

Hi, just got back on the phone with them and it seems the first "person" i was talking to yesterday was not fully "trained". The price include the microfilter as well which seems to be a pain when it comes to costs (£120 ish)... will see.

Is your car on lease or PCP? If you're not planning on keeping the car (and selling on privately etc) there's no way I'd be paying dealer prices for an oil service - £300 is a joke. It's a £100 job at best at a garage.

Edited by Back2Beemer

32 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Is your car on lease or PCP? If you're not planning on keeping the car (and selling on privately etc) there's no way I'd be paying dealer prices for an oil service - £300 is a joke. It's a £100 job at best at a garage.

Even on PCP from BMW you don’t need to have it serviced at BMW I’ve asked that question already

16 minutes ago, Hudds.taz said:

Even on PCP from BMW you don’t need to have it serviced at BMW I’ve asked that question already

Yeah that’s what I meant - you’re under no obligation to get it done at a main dealer, and if you’re not keeping the car then I definitely wouldn’t either!

22 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Yeah that’s what I meant - you’re under no obligation to get it done at a main dealer, and if you’re not keeping the car then I definitely wouldn’t either!

And that’s exactly what I’m doing :D

If its on PCP it could affect your valuation . The car has a fixed value on trade in, but things like too much mileage, scratches and above average wear and tear will be adjusted. Including I think a BMW service history

If I was a second buyer that's what I would look for. The first oil change is important - mostly to ensure the correct grade of oil has been used

My service is due on May 2019 so there is time to think about it anyway for me

Edited by Carrera77

Thank you all for your input; i was told that i am under no obligation to have it done by the main dealer and this will not affect the manufacturer's warranty in any way as long as the correct parts/liquids (OEM!?) have been used.

Yes the car is on PCP; I will be going with them for the 1st Oil Change and Microfilter and will take it from there.

From my experience they will try to lower the trade in value as much as possible regardless the service history; indeed the mileage and any scratches, wear and tear could lower considerably the trade in value.

Is this correct that BMW is dropping Castrol in favor of Shell? Or just rumours / only in the States?

Edited by axell

I'm sure it depends how you acquire the car, but I bought outright and there's no way I would not use BMW for the first service, especially on the hybrid. A couple of years down the road may be different, but I'm sure it would impact my trade in with them if I choose to get another BMW in the medium term.

Just a quick update: i have been offered a Service Pack for 4yrs/50k miles for £500; you have to buy the Service Pack before your 1st Service!

It seems to be a very good value taking into account that the 1st Oil Change and microfilter is going to be £300 and the 2nd Service will include a Brake Fluid change as well.

Your thoughts?

7 hours ago, axell said:

Just a quick update: i have been offered a Service Pack for 4yrs/50k miles for £500; you have to buy the Service Pack before your 1st Service!

It seems to be a very good value taking into account that the 1st Oil Change and microfilter is going to be £300 and the 2nd Service will include a Brake Fluid change as well.

Your thoughts?

So the total is £500!! I checked with my local dealer and it’s was £1500, where did you get that price? it’s doesnt feel right as that seems stupidly cheap

Edited by Hudds.taz

On 31/01/2018 at 1:21 PM, Monkeyfinger said:

I'm sure it depends how you acquire the car, but I bought outright and there's no way I would not use BMW for the first service, especially on the hybrid. A couple of years down the road may be different, but I'm sure it would impact my trade in with them if I choose to get another BMW in the medium term.

I bought cash too and for me and you, BMW service history makes sense because we will looking for the best price when its time to part ways with the car. But if I leased or PCP and had a GFV, I would be doing it at any Indy.

15 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

So the total is £500!! I checked with my local dealer and it’s was £1500, where did you get that price? it’s doesnt feel right as that seems stupidly cheap

From what I've been told it's straight from BMW Warranty Team; it must be from their UK headquarters - i might be wrong though.

Bought the car from up North but my dealer is Lancaster.

It might be the case where the Service Pack depends on your engine size, fuel etc? Maybe £1500 include the brakes maintenance? Mine is without the brakes! - Hope it helps.

Edited by axell

I found this about the service inclusive packs, which is £399 for 3 years or 36000 miles:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/servicing-and-repairs/servicing/service-inclusive

I haven’t got my car yet, should arrive in a week or two, so not sure about the service interval on a 5 series. If you do low miles, say less than 8000 a year, how long does it take for the service indicator to come on, anyone know? I’d like to have an annual service, but pretty sure they won’t let you do that on one of these packs.

5 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

Do you have a contact for BMW warranty team so I can them I want a piece of that price 

I am afraid I cannot help directly; your local dealer should be able to help.

3 hours ago, Healeyfels said:

I found this about the service inclusive packs, which is £399 for 3 years or 36000 miles:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/servicing-and-repairs/servicing/service-inclusive

I haven’t got my car yet, should arrive in a week or two, so not sure about the service interval on a 5 series. If you do low miles, say less than 8000 a year, how long does it take for the service indicator to come on, anyone know? I’d like to have an annual service, but pretty sure they won’t let you do that on one of these packs.

From what I've been told the Service intervals would be every 20k miles; I am not a pro but 20000 mls/30000 km isn't a bit too much even for the best of the best engine oil? I might be wrong though.

With today's technologies monitoring your driving style and daily journeys it seems that the software will adjust the service intervals/oil change accordingly; in my case the 1st service should be done in the next 1200 miles (around 15000 miles).

53 minutes ago, axell said:

I am afraid I cannot help directly; your local dealer should be able to help.

So I’ve emailed and spoken to a load of dealers near me and they are all £1500 ish so if you’re in genuinely £500 take it before they change it

On 31/01/2018 at 11:33 AM, axell said:

Is this correct that BMW is dropping Castrol in favor of Shell? Or just rumours / only in the States?

I think it’s all BMW branded now, but supplied by shell. Must have been a couple of years ago, there were quite a lot of shell adverts featuring M cars a while back.

Edited by Johnyboy

On 2/3/2018 at 6:44 PM, Hudds.taz said:

So I’ve emailed and spoken to a load of dealers near me and they are all £1500 ish so if you’re in genuinely £500 take it before they change it

Got it, £499 for 4 yrs or 50k miles.

I saw some posters at the dealer advertising some Service Packs and they were like £299 for 3 yrs for 1 and 2 series and £399 for 3 yrs for 3, 4 and 5 series - if I am not mistaking.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:57 AM, Johnyboy said:

I think it’s all BMW branded now, but supplied by shell. Must have been a couple of years ago, there were quite a lot of shell adverts featuring M cars a while back.

Thanks, been very pleased with Castrol through the years on all my BMW's; hope will be the same with Shell.

My original service pack for my x5 was £475 for 50k miles 

I was told when I asked for the service pack it is now £375 for 36k miles on the 5 series which might or might not be two services decided not to bother 

I am just awaiting my upgrade from my 2005 E60 next month so have been looking at this.

The link Healeyfels provided is still valid, what is also worth taking in to account is that it covers any future owners in that period and in addition guarantees any work needed at first MOT.

Current price is £399 although I can not see anywhere if it includes VAT.