roundy

Side/Daytime Lights Fault

Hi all, 

Apologies if this has been covered previously but does anyone know the placement of the sensor for this fault?  Also would a replacement need coding or a straight swap plug and play?

This error happen every so often but now is on 80% of the time, sometimes has no impact on the lights and other times one of the side lights isn't lit. Sometimes a restart of engine clears the fault and it's not seen for the rest of the journey.

Thanks

Light fault.jpg

From memory the module for the DRL is in the wheel arch and susceptible to moisture ingress.

I'd identify which side it is and check those first and maybe sealing would buy you some time but from experience when damp takes hold they will become unreliable. 

Have had this myself one or twice, definitely dampness, only had it after washing the car, will flag it up to dealer before warranty runs out 

On 17/02/2018 at 10:59 AM, bmwmike said:

It is that module. Tempted to remove mine and make sure it's not damp etc.

Does anyone know if spraying in wd40 is a good idea or a bad idea?

No wd40, use a hair dryer and take a look at it or use a special cleaner for pcb boards.. I had module go on mine 

I've still not got round to checking yet. I notice when i switch the engine off and the lift stay on for a short time the passengers side go off instantly where as the drivers side stay one for a short time. 

Presume that means the passengers one needs to be checked. 

Do these modules just pull out does anyone know or more work required?

I've checked and cleaned both pcb's and made no difference, the error is still coming up. Awkward to get to the one screw aswell and manged to drop one when putting them back in......god knows where it went. 

Think the over all design isn't great especially if you use snowfoam to clean the arches damp/moisture is always going to be present. 

3 minutes ago, roundy said:

I've checked and cleaned both pcb's and made no difference, the error is still coming up. Awkward to get to the one screw aswell and manged to drop one when putting them back in......god knows where it went. 

Think the over all design isn't great especially if you use snowfoam to clean the arches damp/moisture is always going to be present. 

No idea but I know where it'll end up.. a tyre!

Replacement Sensor arrived and fitted, faults cleared now. 

One thing i have noticed though was another code showing on the Carly App - 'Smoothness controller Cylinder 4: Correction amount outside the allowable range  Code: 2A6D00'  Not sure if this something to be worried about or not. 

Has anyone ever come across this error before guys? 

Just had the same happen to my BMW 520d M sport. Glad I read this thread as I was just going to replace the bulb! 

Ive noticed condensation in the near side light. 

So is replacing the sensor the best thing to do? Won’t the new sensor just get damaged when the condensation comes back. 

Along with the 2 screws holding the plastic trim in place i have used some silicon to seal the section fully.   

I don't think is a great design personally, definitely not water tight as i can can get my fingers down of each side with ease. 

People using snowfoam or clean the arches in depth will always be at risk as far as i'm concerned so hopefully this will help out. 

I have got the same fault on my 2012 520, its just on the drivers side do i need to remove the small plastic "door" inside the wheel arch to get to the module? thanks in advance

10 hours ago, roundy said:

Yes that's correct, the module is slightly offset from the opening so the screws can be annoying to get to. 

That's great thanks for that, do I need to remove anything else or is it pretty easy to get to once I've removed the awkward screws? 

Hi, no once those 2 screws are removed nothing else other than pulling the sensor/pcb out and swapping them over. 

Maybe just my model but it was very fiddly to get remove and replace due to positioning.