Caesar

Mixing Winter with Summer Tyres

A colleague of mine went to her local tyre place to enquire about a set of all season tyres. 

She was advised to buy two full winter tyres and keep two summers. 

I am amazed. I'm not an expert but would have thought the difference in grip and braking characteristics would make it unsafe, particularly in slippery conditions. Am I being a bit of a wuss? 

2 winters on the front on a front wheel drive car would be ok, assuming she doesn't have ditch finders on the rear, but obviously four winters or four all season tyres would be best. 

My dad ran his F10 with 2 of my winters on the front when he got a 351 rim refurbed. No issues with that, but he wouldn't have been driving like he stole it.

Was it Kwik Fit she went too?

For a while, my Mum's Audi A3 was like that. It was because 2 of the summers were too bad to go back on when the winters were coming off. I told my Dad that it was unsafe. He didn't believe me so I wrote to Honest John. However, he replied to say that, whilst not ideal, it wasn't unsafe! That was my plan foiled ...

That said, it now wears winters all year round.

All the above notwithstanding, I'd personally only run 4 of the same type.

Thanks guys. I think maybe I need to tone down my reaction from dangerous to perhaps less safe than a full set of winters or all seasons. 

I'm sure it could be argued winters on the driven wheels are safer than summers all round, but I suppose it comes down to your own preferences. 

I'll be advising my colleague to get a full set of all seasons as she doesn't have storage space for two sets. 

Having said that, we're having a bit of a heatwave this weekend! 

On 27/01/2018 at 3:54 PM, Caesar said:

I'm sure it could be argued winters on the driven wheels are safer than summers all round, 

If it's wrong wheel drive then o.k but I don't fancy driving in snow with only a set of winters on the rear on a proper car. Yes you could get traction, but you would never be able to stop! 

It's a Honda Jazz. 

Tyre company has suggested Viking All Seasons as an alternative. I think they're a sub brand of Continental. 

But you can get Michelin Cross climates for a tenner more so I know what I would go with.