Ram Rod

Will there be a 518d?

Some time ago there was a rumour that BMW would brung out a 150 bhp version of its 1.5 litre three cylinder diesel engine for the new 5 series.

My current 518d F11 is is perfectly fine for 99.5% of my driving which is mainly autoroute/motorway. In early 2016 when I ordered mine in France, the 520d was another €1,700 more expensive than the 518d, plus the 518 had an extra discount of €8000, so it was a no brainer to order the car with an auto gearbox.

In May next year I can buy my F11 for €27,500 and I may hang onto it as the new 520d starts at €620 a month with no deposit, but by the time you add extras like an auto box, comfort seat and metallic paint plus doubling the kilometre allowance to 80,000 bumps the lease up to €820 a month. Quite a jump from my current €560

I am hoping a 518d might come along to reduce the price. Has anyone heard anything about the three cylinder diesel engine going in the new 5 series?

Edited by Ram Rod

BMW have always talked about offering the 518d, along with the 518i and 550i. 

Can only presume it will be later this year?

The 518d is a detuned version of the F10 520d 2 litre . Interesting they both have the same mpg....it suggests the 520d is about right

well Autocar seem reasonably happy with it 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:16 PM, Carrera77 said:

The 518d is a detuned version of the F10 520d 2 litre . Interesting they both have the same mpg....it suggests the 520d is about right

well Autocar seem reasonably happy with it 

Correct.

A stage 1 tune on a 518D takes power up to 220BHP. The extra premium buying a new one is effectively (as far as I've ever been able to tell, including cross referencing some part numbers) just a software difference.

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

A stage 1 tune on a 518D takes power up to 220BHP. The extra premium buying a new one is effectively (as far as I've ever been able to tell, including cross referencing some part numbers) just a software difference.

you mean its better to wait for the G30 518D and get it chipped to 220 BHP? Assuming they use the 2 litre, which I think they will

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

you mean its better to wait for the G30 518D and get it chipped to 220 BHP? Assuming they use the 2 litre, which I think they will

I thought the 18d engines were all going to 3cyl now? But again, seems doubtful they would use such a setup in the 5 series!

3 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

I thought the 18d engines were all going to 3cyl now? But again, seems doubtful they would use such a setup in the 5 series!

You say that, but they have just released a 7 series with a 2.0 4 pot Diesel engine!

People still have soooooooo many issues with engine downsizing in aid for higher efficiency.

The current X5 25D is just as competent if not better than old 3.0 model, the new 7 series will be the same in the 2.0.

The big engine and six cylinders “nescessity” is laughable in today’s day and age. You’re either a Neanderthal or have a really tiny willy if you fail to accept that times have moved on and economy is king in this day and age.

22 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

People still have soooooooo many issues with engine downsizing in aid for higher efficiency.

The current X5 25D is just as competent if not better than old 3.0 model, the new 7 series will be the same in the 2.0.

The big engine and six cylinders “nescessity” is laughable in today’s day and age. You’re either a Neanderthal or have a really tiny willy if you fail to accept that times have moved on and economy is king in this day and age.

How much more economical can a 4 pot diesel be in a tank such as the X5 or a bus like the 7er compared with an unstressed 6 pot? The 4 pot will be working twice as hard to make equivalent progress leading to both higher fuel consumption and higher emissions!

And really, who wants to be able to hear the rattling 4 banger in what is supposed to be a luxurious, quiet and comfortable mode of transport?

MB has returned to an in-line 6.  The 7 series gets a 4 pot because of local taxes making it expensive in Turkey and China

An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balancer shaft  Its inherently smooth and quite a simple arrangement. It makes sense in a car with premium pretensions and of course big truck engines

Edited by Carrera77

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Correct.

according to Auto car the final drive is slighter shorter, to give a respectable acceleration figure. The gear ratio has been adjusted, which must mean higher rpms.  So its more than software.  And not so good mpg

Edited by Carrera77

On 25/01/2018 at 10:22 PM, F10 530d said:

How much more economical can a 4 pot diesel be in a tank such as the X5 or a bus like the 7er compared with an unstressed 6 pot? The 4 pot will be working twice as hard to make equivalent progress leading to both higher fuel consumption and higher emissions!

And really, who wants to be able to hear the rattling 4 banger in what is supposed to be a luxurious, quiet and comfortable mode of transport?

There is no rattling of B47 engine in the current 520d. It is very refine. Go and try one

It is quiet and serene . Believe me, the 520d  is lighter and not as nose heavy as 530d. 520d in Sports mode gives me better shove in the back than the tested 530d up to 50 mph. In the past few days I have learnt that if you down shift with the paddle once or twice, the power is maintained to 70-80mph. 

I am always in Sport mode (town driving and even motor way driving) and my average mpg has been 42mpg 

The beautiful engine sounds from 640d and 540i makes it worthwhile to upgrade to them but not  to 530d. 

518d configurator just gone live. Doesn't make much sense, considering it costs £75 more base than my 520d did a year ago...