Busterbvi

530i ROAD NOISE ?

2 hours ago, Liam79 said:

Sounds good and good luck with it, but I still think you're crazy regarding your tyre plans!! :)

For example your proposed 255/60 17 has sidewalls 50mm taller than the correct 255/40 17! 100mm bigger diameter! 2" of extra ride height before you've even changed to the SE suspension! I've no idea if such things will even fit on the car at all, or at least would be highly likely to rub over a bump or the fronts maybe just steering! Not to mention the speedo and gearing will be a mile out.

As stated, I may not tamper with the tyres at all if I can achieve the desired ride with a change of shocks and roll bars.  To be honest, I would rather not, I like the Sport rims and the extended rim protector on the existing tyres but thinking it through now,  I may very well stay safe go for 225/55/16 the right size for SE spec if I have to to achieve the desired result and tell the insurance company what I have done.

Edited by Busterbvi

7 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Agree with you Dan.

99% of the time i see people who have an SE (including me) trying to upgrade parts to mimic a sport.

Ive never seen it the other way around. (Sport - SE).

Doesn't seem feasible...but each to their own.

Marc-86. Tell you what, I will drive to your place and we can swap my Sport suspension for your SE stuff ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Busterbvi

9 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

Marc-86. Tell you what, I will drive to your place and we can swap my Sport suspension for your SE stuff ! :rolleyes:

I would happily snap your hand off ha. Yes i love the magic carpet feel but would prefer the sport look and feel. We're a right pair...both settled for what we didnt want lol.

3 hours ago, Liam79 said:

Sounds good and good luck with it, but I still think you're crazy regarding your tyre plans!! :)

For example your proposed 255/60 17 has sidewalls 50mm taller than the correct 255/40 17! 100mm bigger diameter! 2" of extra ride height before you've even changed to the SE suspension! I've no idea if such things will even fit on the car at all, or at least would be highly likely to rub over a bump or the fronts maybe just steering! Not to mention the speedo and gearing will be a mile out.

Fully agree with this

Sounds like you've got hell of a car; but your tyre plans aren't doing it any favours!

As already stated, stay away from XL tyres and go for tyres that are known to have softer sidewalls (Toyos, Kumho KU39s, Nexen 8000s etc)

Stick within the specs for tyres (use a tyre calculator to suss this) and you'll be fine

New SE suspension with any new suspension parts needed plus non-XL tyres on 16" turbines (or similar), IMO, will give the car a very wafty ride

FYI; the E39s, IMO, look well on turbine alloys. This is my 530i Sport, on coilovers and lowered c30mm all round, on its winter 16" turbine and Michelin Alpin winter tyres:

IMG_20171201_144916.jpg

For your silver car; I reckon alloys in a gunmetal grey with a sparkle lacquer would look spot-on :mrgreen: 

On 2/28/2018 at 1:45 PM, Busterbvi said:

Next job is to get a Sat Nav in it and some decent sound, the standard set up is shite !  One of these going in ....

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm5839b-android-8-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Another cheap chinese clone type unit...   'hopefully' the one you get will work properly out of the box and will continue to do so longer term. A few people who get these types of units find they do work and also longer term. Many however, find that either just after delivery or a few short months later, things begin to go wrong, issues come up, things don't work properly and also stop working completely. More than often at that point, there's no chance of a refund and if you are lucky, you'll be offered a replacement once you send the faulty one back to China most likely. My recommendation would be to avoid the cheapy chinese head units. 

As for your suspension, then that's what's I meant which others are also perhaps now understaing - to have the looks of the Sport E39 but with a SE 'softer' ride quality but keeping the same ride height :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Just to add sports seem more desirable (subjective I know) so recon a 530i se would get you more for your money in any case

18 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Another cheap chinese clone type unit...   'hopefully' the one you get will work properly out of the box and will continue to do so longer term. A few people who get these types of units find they do work and also longer term. Many however, find that either just after delivery or a few short months later, things begin to go wrong, issues come up, things don't work properly and also stop working completely. More than often at that point, there's no chance of a refund and if you are lucky, you'll be offered a replacement once you send the faulty one back to China most likely. My recommendation would be to avoid the cheapy chinese head units. 

As for your suspension, then that's what's I meant which others are also perhaps now understaing - to have the looks of the Sport E39 but with a SE 'softer' ride quality but keeping the same ride height :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, yes they are Chinese but they are superb head units, I have one in my other car, a Focus Ghia for a year now and I love it, best sat nav and sound system I have come across for the price. I got mine from AudioTech Direct based in North Wales, they have them made to their own specifications and their customer service

is truly excellent. It was a bit quirky to set up as the manual supplied was useless, a couple of e-mails to ATD who replied the same day with answers to my queries got me going. I did have a minor issue with a random loss of the radio pre-sets due to a weak signal in my area, ATD sent me a small in line signal booster to plug in the back free of charge and no problems since. You can have any map software you want, Google, Waze, Tom Tom etc, I like the iGo maps excellent graphics. The HiFi sound is awesome on the CD and a nice equalizer is included. A 7 inch touch screen, Android 8 OS and the hands free Bluetooth works perfectly and supports any phone. A DVD player to watch movies if you so choose and TV !  A Google browser works great when in a  a hotspot.  The 'Torque' App is included for OBD 2 diagnostics, I had a rough idle problem on the Focus, I bought the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for £5 on Ebay to plug in under the dash, paired to the head unit no problem and interrogated the cars engine management computer, found the fault code, the unit automatically Googled the solution, bought the £11 part and bish bosh, job done and now running great. Very impressed and saved me a  garage bill. A nice feature of these is you can set the cars manufacturer logo as the boot screen so on start up it looks OE.  It was a perfect fit into the dash and it looks the dogs bollocks. One single multiplug to match the cars wiring is fitted so installation is very simple. You can add a reverse camera and dash cam as optional extra's. A few mates have seen mine and got one for themselves, all very pleased with the functions, reliability and the service from ATD. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good sat nav & sound system solution.

They have just released a 9 inch model here for the E39, a thing of beauty but no CD player so I will stick with the 7 inch.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm3702b-android-7-1-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Edited by Busterbvi

Be careful though as the X53 X5 has different shape slightly to the E39 head units... They can stick out a touch iiRC

51 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Be careful though as the X53 X5 has different shape slightly to the E39 head units... They can stick out a touch iiRC

Already been in touch with ATD on that and a couple of other concerns with the heater controls and speaker / amp config. There was a small fitment issue with the earlier model head unit. The new Android 8 BM5839B unit is modified to go straight in a E39 without

fouling anything and a nice flush fit. I tell you, ATD are on the ball !

Edited by Busterbvi

Hmmm interesting I see they do a DSP retention device so these things work with DSP! Last I looked into this only the more expensive Dynavin supported DSP, but looks like the know how is now out and available for all aftermarket units. You know of any reports on successfully using that DSP box?

2 hours ago, Liam79 said:

Hmmm interesting I see they do a DSP retention device so these things work with DSP! Last I looked into this only the more expensive Dynavin supported DSP, but looks like the know how is now out and available for all aftermarket units. You know of any reports on successfully using that DSP box?

Not sure Liam, mine doesn't have DSP so I didn't pursue it. If you click on the 'Fitment Guide' on a unit you may fancy, all known issues are mentioned.

If you need any more info, an e-mail to James at  webcs@audiotechdirect.com will get you the answers.

On 01/03/2018 at 3:24 PM, Marc_86 said:

Personally id sway towards 16" 22/55/16 - right size and spec and coupled with SE suspension - very comfortable. I barely feel anything in mine - its literally like a flying carpet...just glides along.

Dont try and undo what BMW spent years and millions on R&D.

"Years and millions in R & D" ! :D  No car manufacturer has produced a car that I have owned and been satisfied with. My first car in 75 was a standard Mini, within 2 months that car morphed into full Cooper-S spec. Next car was a Mk2 Cortina 1600E, lovely car but just not quick enough so

in went a big valve Lotus Twin Cam on a 2000E box with full Lotus spec suspension & brakes, awesome car, wish I kept it !  I had a nice 3.5L Rover V8 engine and box out of a crashed SD1 sitting in my workshop and decided I need to put something around it so I bought a TR7 with a blown engine

and project TR8 with works rally spec twin exhaust was complete a month later, lovely sounding car, I used to skull it through tunnels with the windows open to enjoy the noise, turn around and do it again ! Next was a standard Mk2 RS2000, that was promptly upgraded to 'Custom' spec, the story

goes on.

I swear that if I bought a new Rolls or Bentley I would find something to tinker with. Now in my late 50's I am going the other way, my boy racer days are long gone and comfort and silence is now my thing. Had I held out for and SE for the comfort, knowing me, I would quickly change

the look of it and upgrade the body, interior and trim to Sport spec.  Now I have got a lovely looking Sport and project 'Magic Carpet'  begins. I can't help myself, I love car projects .... never satisfied !   There used to be a great magazine in those days called  'Cars & Car Conversions'  I had

mountains of them, great mag, don't see it anymore, I think it stopped in 2001 ... shame.

Edited by Busterbvi

On 3/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, Busterbvi said:

Hi Dennis, yes they are Chinese but they are superb head units, I have one in my other car, a Focus Ghia for a year now and I love it, best sat nav and sound system I have come across for the price. I got mine from AudioTech Direct based in North Wales, they have them made to their own specifications and their customer service

is truly excellent. It was a bit quirky to set up as the manual supplied was useless, a couple of e-mails to ATD who replied the same day with answers to my queries got me going. I did have a minor issue with a random loss of the radio pre-sets due to a weak signal in my area, ATD sent me a small in line signal booster to plug in the back free of charge and no problems since. You can have any map software you want, Google, Waze, Tom Tom etc, I like the iGo maps excellent graphics. The HiFi sound is awesome on the CD and a nice equalizer is included. A 7 inch touch screen, Android 8 OS and the hands free Bluetooth works perfectly and supports any phone. A DVD player to watch movies if you so choose and TV !  A Google browser works great when in a  a hotspot.  The 'Torque' App is included for OBD 2 diagnostics, I had a rough idle problem on the Focus, I bought the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter for £5 on Ebay to plug in under the dash, paired to the head unit no problem and interrogated the cars engine management computer, found the fault code, the unit automatically Googled the solution, bought the £11 part and bish bosh, job done and now running great. Very impressed and saved me a  garage bill. A nice feature of these is you can set the cars manufacturer logo as the boot screen so on start up it looks OE.  It was a perfect fit into the dash and it looks the dogs bollocks. One single multiplug to match the cars wiring is fitted so installation is very simple. You can add a reverse camera and dash cam as optional extra's. A few mates have seen mine and got one for themselves, all very pleased with the functions, reliability and the service from ATD. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good sat nav & sound system solution.

They have just released a 9 inch model here for the E39, a thing of beauty but no CD player so I will stick with the 7 inch.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm3702b-android-7-1-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Hi Buster,

I've seen this company previously and I wish them good luck in selling and supporting all the cheap chinese units. They're perhaps the 5th/6th UK based company to try their hand at it over the last decade, so will be keeping an eye on them to see 'IF' ... 'finally' there's a clear good choice of unit that performs well but most crucially, reliably over the long term in many hundreds or thousands of customers cars. The units 'promise' all the functionality and which is why buyers quote all the same stuff as you have as well, however the 'important' part is ensuring all those functions 'ACTUALLY' work!..  and that aspect, over this last decade isn't what happens and why those UK companies I mention have either gone out of business or stopped selling them due to the high rate of failures/returns. 

The unit with the 9 inch looks terrible and won't match the smooth elegant lines of the E39 dash, I can't see that being a good selling unit at all! 

As for the 'don't mess up what BMW spent millions in R&D' line I've heard over the last 25+ years or so..  the end result is too much of a compromise for me, so I'll spend the £300-1000 or so for when it comes to the Suspension compromises to get myself a 'Truly Enjoyable Driving Machine' with my specific needs met :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis.

I can only report on my own experience with these Chinese head units, mine and others I know of are superb but the stand out thing for me is the excellent customer service at ATD, quite refreshing in this day and age !

Glad someone's with me on my plans to modify my car, yes they do spend years and millions on R&D but that doesn't mean they always get it right, not for me anyway.  As they say "There is always one".... That'll be me ! :)

Around here, we have a lot of those traffic calming strips across the roads near junctions etc, ran across some this morning and I kid you not, my teeth clatter'd together !!  so those low profile tyres are going, can't put up with 

that nonsense for too long !

Edited by Busterbvi

Dennis I've spoken to ATD as well and they seem pretty switched on so far. Apparently they commissioned a company in Germany to help them figure out the DSP integration and be able to offer the 'DSP retention module' on their site. That puts them above any other supplier of 'cheap Chinese' head units that I've seen so far and up there with Dynavin and their 'expensive but still Chinese with no support unless you're in the US' head units as the only two companies who have figured out a solution for aftermarket head units on DSP equipped cars. I'm rather tempted to grab their DSP module and try out one of their head units being less than half the price of a Dynavin. If the head unit turns out to be a lemon and I get no support, at least I now have standard RCA inputs to my DSP system that I can connect to a quality brand radio. I'd just have to put up with standard double DIN and an ugly adaptor bezel rather than OEM look.

Hi,

Buster - I fully understand this aspect. There are indeed a 'number' of owners who've installed a cheap chinese unit and it's been 'good' for them longer term. Those owners have also posted up on the forums to mention so and that they're happy 6,12,18 and in a few cases 2/3 years down the line. The handful of previous 'UK based' importers and distributors also offered good/great customer service and backup too. It's only when units that did go faulty even if only for relatively mundane reasons/effects and the 'factory' in China didn't manage to get around to refunding them that after a while, decisions were taken to cut their losses and not supply them any more. 'Hopefully' ATD have more of a 'solid' dealer/importer channel and get their money back quickly for the faulty units/warranty returns etc. 

Liam - I see that adaptor on the site and it's an option that seems good to allow more choice to the BMW owner that has DSP!. However, even when 'new' back in 1996'ish, the DSP speaker drivers weren't very good and also didn't sound 'great' and by the end of the 90's having 'DSP' functions for 'stadium' and 'Church' etc went out of fashion for consumer electronics. Over the years, the OEM DSP speakers have of course deteriorated, the DSP amp's fail more often and no one 'fixes or overhauls' them. I can understand owners who don't want or need any good increase in SQ just keeping the standard DSP setup, but for those who do want a decent/good increase without wanting to spend 'too much' it's a riskier option. There's a smaller pool of fully working OEM DSP amplifiers and as they fail, it's getting smaller, the integration module is £150, so that needs to be added onto the approx £300-350 or so for the chinese head unit, so that goes to around the £500 level. Although there'll be an audible difference, it won't be much of one given how 'relatively' poor the OEM DSP drivers are. To get a markedly better increase in Sound Quality, then only BSW make direct fit, DSP compatible replacement speakers which I think are around the £450-500 level once all taxes and duties etc are paid (might be more in Norway?!). 

I'm not wishing to dissuade you both or anyone else looking at the Chinese option. In fact, the reason I look very closely at them is I'm looking for a reliable product AND where an importer/dealer in the UK has a rock solid and well observed warranty channel back at the factory. When I see that, I may well sell them for the UK BMW market (I wouldn't be interested in other marque units). 

Good luck to you both if you do go the chinese route !

Finally, Buster, it sound as though you need a very softly sprung car with that air carpet like ride quality...     Citroen or Rolls Royce ?!!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis.  Certainly not a Citroen or RR. If I am not satisfied after project 'Magic Carpet' is complete, I will start looking at 7 Series, S Class Merc or early Lexus barges.

Edited by Busterbvi