gorba2000

Central locking remote&manual stopped working.

You might have dry joints somewhere or water Ingres? When you had the crazy faults was it raining? 

Has it rained since it's all working? 

Does a wizard live by your house and is just fucking about with you? :lol: 

So my resident wizard seems to have flown the nest!

Car has been working fine for 4/5 days. Drove this morning all good. Come to work this afternoon in the rain and hey presto, issues have started again.

So seems you are spot on yokozuna. 

Is there anywhere I should start my investigation into water ingress? Usual/trouble spots!!

Yeah try the antenna, is it a touring? 

Im not sure where it's located in the E39, it's in the rear spoiler in the later E61 and E91's and it does indeed get water Ingres in it, the fix (apparently) is to dry it out and just reseal the box! So it's well, water tight ;) 

im sure someone will point you in the right direction? 

Also put your vin into realoem and that might give you an idea? :) 

Never thought I'd be looking at weather reports to get an indication as to wether my cars going to work or not!

Sticking antenna into realoem brings back hundreds of possibles. I'll have a look in boot well at weekend. Anyone know what I'm looking for and where I can find it on a touring. Or at least point toward possible locations where water ingress can be causing issues.

The problem is it could be a number of different places, as there's fuses and relays all over the place. Have you had a good look around in the boot area to see if the carpet, or under the carpets is wet? I also read (whilst troubleshooting other issues on mine in the past) about drain holes under the cabin filter intakes in the engine bay, being blocked and I believe there's a big box of relays there under the passenger side one - someone said on another thread that when they removed the plastic housing for the cabin filter, that box of relays was soaked... so worth a look under there.

Good luck either way - trying to chase down problems like these are a nightmare sometimes :(

Edited by chicaneuk

13 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

K-bus problem and one possibility causing this is Webasto control card like previously suggested.

Says he doesn't have a Webasto fitted though :(

17 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Are you sure? At least all 530d's have Webasto from factory. Check the sticker in engine bay. 

DSC02333.jpg

Ok just checked and I do have this webasto thing. Where is it and what do I check? Oh and what is it?

It lives down behind the wheel arch on the passenger side. You'll need to jack up, remove the wheel, remove the wheel arch liner to get proper access. Then, to rule it out as being your cause, disconnect the larger of the two electrical connectors on the top of it. You may need patience as the connector can be a little resistant to being unplugged. For good measure you may as well remove both - the smaller two pin plug is the power, but I think a faulty control card can also cause a parasitic battery drain if you leave the power connector plugged in.

It's a standalone diesel burning heater designed to accelerate the heating of coolant in the car, when there's low temperatures outside. In other regions (and with some reprogramming on a UK car) they can also be configured to run independent of the car, so produce heat through the vents even without the engine running.

They're used quite a lot on boats and the like, but also installed in quite a few other marques seemingly.. I'd never even heard of them prior to buying my 530D. Unfortunately they are seemingly known for being prone to failure, and especially so on the E39 due to their placement down in the wheel arch where they get hammered with water and muck which seems to cause the control boards to eventually let in water and corrode / fail and cause the kind of problems you're seeing.

Well done to Clavurion for calling it. Again.

Edited by chicaneuk

I owe Clavurion an apology. Because he knows what he is talking about I opened the bonnet and low and behold the sticker is there. Next to it is an unused mounting platform where I had assumed that the Webasto would be fitted but I now know it is in the passenger side wing. My handbook says that the system is fitted to all 520d, 525d and 530d models.

I will now have to learn what the thing is supposed to do and see whether it works.

Well based on my experience it makes not much difference for us, not only because our climate never really gets THAT cold, because it probably hasn't even been working for a while and it's just taken time for the electrical gremlins to manifest themselves. The car will take a bit longer to warm up and indeed it'll be a good 5+ minutes of driving before you start to get any amount of heat through the air vents. Ideally though if you have no plan to get it fixed or recommissioned it may be worth removing it and bypassing / joining the coolant pipes that run into the unit.

However, It has become something of a crusade for me trying to get mine working, really because it's quite a novelty, but also because it's a fun little DIY project.. but it's ended up becoming something of a bête noire as I've now replaced the unit two times and each time got one part working only for something else to fail, so I've never actually seen it run properly and work. I'm in for 2x pre-owned Webasto's off E53 X5's, the Webasto water pump and a segment of wiring loom that I managed to zap and melt and right now it's still not working - I got the closest I've yet gotten, where I was able to activate the thing but for some reason the little fuel pump then refused to work (having worked previously) then winter set in and I don't have anywhere to actually work on the car nor have I had time, to take it all apart AGAIN and work out what's broken. So I think it'll have to wait for a spring day, but either way I'm determined to resurrect the bastard even if I have to buy another pre-owned unit.

I've got a thread about my ongoing saga and some of the steps I've taken if you're interested:

Edited by chicaneuk

So I had 10 minutes to spare so started going through the list of potential issues. Easiest to check was the boot floor under the spare wheel. 

It was drenched!!

There was about an inch of water there. Took a while to get rid of it, but I noticed quite a few wires heading underneath the big black round thing in the middle, I would imagine whatever is under there was sopping wet too but i simply didnt have the time to get it off and check. Job for tomorrow perhaps. 

What is under that black thing? Secondly anyone have suggestions for where I can start looking for where this water is coming in?

IMAG0465-20180215-160312307.jpg

4 minutes ago, gorba2000 said:

So I had 10 minutes to spare so started going through the list of potential issues. Easiest to check was the boot floor under the spare wheel. 

It was drenched!!

There was about an inch of water there. Took a while to get rid of it, but I noticed quite a few wires heading underneath the big black round thing in the middle, I would imagine whatever is under there was sopping wet too but i simply didnt have the time to get it off and check. Job for tomorrow perhaps. 

What is under that black thing? Secondly anyone have suggestions for where I can start looking for where this water is coming in?

IMAG0465-20180215-160312307.jpg

That’ll be the pump for your air suspension, won’t it?!

I believe a very common source for water ingress in the boot is the gaskets / seals around the tail lights. Might be worth getting someone to hose the car with a hosepipe whilst you sit in the back and see if you can see water coming in?

As it was 19 degrees and sunny at 5pm here today I doubt that even at the coldest here I would be looking to start my car at a temperature where the Webasto would kick in so I am inclined just to forget about it,  I bought the car new and it spent the first 18 months of it life near Chelmsford but if the Webasto operated then I never noticed it.

So after some investigation I have found that the water seems to be coming in from the point indicated on the picture. I initially thought fuel filler cap, but mine seems in good nick and water is pooling in there and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. 

I drove to work in the pouring rain yesterday and while there was a little bit of water build up in the boot well when I stopped it wasn't that much. Today, driving in the relative dry I have got home and there is more water in the boot well that yesterday. I can only think that the rain over night has pooled somewhere and as I have driven it has emptied into my boot. I just cant fathom it out!!!!! Where is it coming from? 

Rear light surround inside is bone dry so don't believe its the seal/gasket on that. i had a quick look in the wheel arch but unfortunately i couldn't get my wheel off to have a proper look. someone has well over tightened the nuts! anyway without a good look its hard to say there are no issues under there, but the arch liner seemed intact and I couldn't see any glaring problems. 

InkedIMAG0465_LI.thumb.jpg.ed1986237669eae4934b884ad9c87a3c.jpg