gorba2000

Central locking remote&manual stopped working.

So unlocked the car as usual this morning, took it for it's MOT which it passed. Got home and tried to lock the car, nothing. 

Tried a few times but it just wasn't having any of it. I then tried putting the key into door lock and locking the car that way, but it only locked the drivers door. 

I have then changed the fuse for the central locking (53) but still it won't work. I can't even reprogramme my key as central locking isn't working. 

I have no idea why it would suddenly just stop working, does anyone have any ideas?

I have a 2003 touring if that makes any difference to the answers!!

I had my remote stop working along with the boot micro switch earlier this year, turned out it was the boot wiring in the rubber concertina where it feeds into the car so worth a look there

So this morning I start the car and I have a warning light on the dash for my air suspension. The drive seemed OK though. Driving to work, I then noticed that my indicators were working but the audible click wasn't.  Full beems worked but the dash light for them never. reverse lights were also not working. 

What is going on with my car?!

I think you'll be surprised? 

Ask tims on here to see if he has one knocking about? 

Im sure there's a how to on here as well? 

Might be sorted for not much ££'s?

On 21/01/2018 at 6:50 AM, gorba2000 said:

So this morning I start the car and I have a warning light on the dash for my air suspension. The drive seemed OK though. Driving to work, I then noticed that my indicators were working but the audible click wasn't.  Full beems worked but the dash light for them never. reverse lights were also not working. 

What is going on with my car?!

Do you have a Webasto auxiliary diesel heater fitted? Do you know if it's working? I had similar problems with mine with my Webasto unit which had gone haywire. As soon as I disconnected it, all my electrical gremlins went away. My symptoms were intermitted remote central locking, radio working whenever it felt like it, no sound from the indicators, SLS light illuminated on the dash. 

I don't no. I have recently fitted a new stereo which i thought may have caused the problem but it had been installed for a couple of weeks working absolutely fine. 

Thanks for the diagnosis Yokozuna. Spent an hour today cleaning the ignition switch and all seems ok. No warning lights on dash and central locking working again. Think I just need to reprogramme my key as remote still not working. 

Ok so where I fixed all the electrical gremlins with the ignition switch repair my car now doesn't start! . Everything on dash lights up and looks fine on turn of the key but when you turn to start it just clicks.

Help!

Ok so jump start worked. Battery has a bit of a constant drain on it apparently which im going to assume is the new stereo. 

Anyways, car back up and running so you would think I'd be happy........

Old electrical gremlins have returned. Central locking, reverse lights, dash troubles are all back. 

Why when I cleaned the ignition switch did it clear all the electrical faults and seemingly work fine and now fail so soon after. 

Is the switch past repair?

Or is this new radio causing all the issues? 

Unless you've really cocked up the connections to the new stereo; I can't see it being that

I think an ignition switch replacement is the next best step followed by a new battery (or maybe do the battery first)!

A poor battery in these cars isn't good; they can have hissy fits when power available is low!

Battery was replaced a year ago so virtually brand new.  Suppose I shall try a new ignition switch.  Just seemed strange that my 'fix' worked for 24hrs.

Looking into ignition switches, some places specifically state there's are for manual vehicles, others don't seem to mention it. Mines an auto, is it going to matter, what's the difference? Real oem website doesn't specify either

So new switch arrived installed it yesterday, cars dead again. Proper dead battery, don't get any dash lights at all. Tried jump starting, albeit with some fairly basic cheap leads and despite leaving them connected for a good five minutes prior to trying to start mine, i couldnt even get a light on the dash. 

I'm working all weekend so going to have to call RAC on Monday to get me going again I think. Getting pretty cheesed off with it all now.

So I had purchased a new switch off eBay.  It was brand new but I was trying to save some pennies. Cost me £25. 

Turns out it didn't work!!!

It started the car, but as soon as you let go of the key, the car stalled.  Put the old switch back in and it starts fine, but I obviously still have the gremlins.  So switch is bring sent back for a refund and I've ordered a new one direct from BMW at £80.....

I'll collect it later and see how this one fairs 

Brand new ignition switch from BMW installed and guess what? Still got faults. 

So to recap faults are

Air suspension warning light on.

No reverse lights

No dash display when indicating or have full beams on.

So if it's not the ignition switch what's going on?

Hmmmm

water Ingres somewhere? A bad earth? A bad battery? A bad connection on the battery? A ruined light control module? A break in a cable? 

Dunno? 

Try all the tings that won't cost money, like you did with the switch but that turned out to be a bit of a red herring! 

But why did everything work after you cleaned it and then failed again? 

Maybe there's an issue with your steering wheel/console? 

Sorry cant help any more :( 

Yeah I wondered why my 'repair' worked temporarily.  

I know my battery is good, RAC man tested it. RAC man also sent a list of all the fault codes, so that's now been forwarded to my mechanic. All the faults seemed to be communication problems. 

I'd say that would point to a module of some sort or a brake in a cable that is just about arcing and causing things to work then not....

good luck with it

So it would appear the car has fixed itself. Got in it the other day and no faults! Don't know what's changed, but driven a few days now with no faults. Perhaps the new switch just needed to get comfortable.......