Max M4X WW

Intravee & Low OBC

Hi all,

I'm back on here after 5 years since selling my previous 540i Sport and now have a 525i Sport. Unfortunately the new car doesn't have NAV and has the Low OBC - is the Intravee likely to be of any use to me? I remember the indicator flash, coming home lights, etc functions but I'm unsure how you would set this up without a screen.

Just wondering if its worth me looking for an Intravee to buy and also if anyone knows how difficult the High OBC upgrade is (as I believe the retrofit loom is no longer available).

Thanks

What type of radio does the car have?

It is possible to configure the Intravee through the downloaded program, but it’s not exactly easy.

Hi Richard,

The basic one I believe, the tape player looks to be attached to the lower half which has the basic narrow screen. 

Thanks 

That's the Integrated radio - no text display.

If you want the Intravee with some sort of display for setting up control features you'd have to upgrade the radio to either IRIS (which looks almost identical) or MID.  Even with those you don't get to configure everything.  Although the upgrade is pretty easy (just get a radio module with the same plug, round or square and add the MID connection which has 4 wires all of which just come off the main radio plug), unless you can pick one up very cheaply, it's probably not worth it, but that's a decision you'd have to make.

I really want the MID but I'm not 100% confident in doing it myself or the likelihood of finding all the bits.

How would I identify a car with the IRIS system and was it an option?

It's pretty easy to find the bits for the MID, you just need the MID itself, the radio module (with Tape, CD or MD) and the 12 pin plug for the MID.

The IRIS is just a poor mans MID.  It looks almost identical to the Integrated radio, but it's in two pieces.  The IRIS does NOT have the TONE and LIN buttons, there are on the radio part.  And IRIS radio will work with the MID, but a MID specific radio that does not have the tone controls will not be able to control the tone with an IRIS. The connections for an IRIS are just the same as the MID.  I'm not sure what determined if an Integrated radio or IRIS was fitted.

No, you don’t need a high cluster for the MID to work.  There are different versions of the MID for cars with different options, Phone, DSP, and high Cluster, but the only differences are the layout of buttons on the right.

Ok that's great, so I could also upgrade to a CD player too? Do you know if the late ones take MP3 discs like the E46's do?

Problem is I'm not sure I have ever seen a car with MID and without the high cluster so I will probably struggle to find the correct MID?

Thanks for all your help!

MID%20Displays%20for%20Low%20and%20High%

The Low cluster does not support display of the Onboard Computer info on the MID, so the Low Version of the MID does not have the BC button.  If you install the high version of the MID in a Low cluster car then the BC key will not function correctly, but that does not matter.  If you are planning to upgrade the cluster later then you could get a High MID anyway.  The other buttons on the right are all options, it really dos not matter if you have them or not as you won't have a phone and wont have DSP with an Integrated radio.

I 'think' that some of the very last E53 X5 radios supported MP3 playback, so if you can find one  then great.  If you have the round pin connector you will need an adaptor from round to flat pin as later radios have flat pin. 

OK. I would like the trip info on the MID at some point so I may just look for a High MID - especially if any MID will work in my car.

Then I need to find a radio module (top bit) which has definitely come from an MID car, not IRIS?

IRIS radios will work with the MID, they have tone controls on the upper part, there will work with the MID as well.

If you want an MP3 version of the CD radio, it will be a MID unit anyway.  P/Ns for the MP3 versions end in 6961218 and 6943433 also add 1 for refurbished units ( 6961219 and 6943434), they have flat pins.

So I picked up an Intravee on ebay which arrives tomorrow - now I'm wondering if I can actually use it with my current set up.

I think I have found a correct MID on here which I plan to buy and fit also.

Will I be able to get the lane change and an iPod working?

Thanks

I've just plugged it all into the car with the 'integrated' radio still in and nothing seems to happen. Do I need to reset it as I believe it came out of an M5 which probably had nav?

You will need radio module from a MID or IRIS system to get it to work, it won't work with the Integrated radio.  The MID itself does not need coding to operate the radio.

Great, thanks. I read the manual and I thought it would work just without any display.

I will rip it out tomorrow, check the pins and get an MID and Radio.

As predicted I do have the square pins but I have only just realised I won't have a plug for the MID and re-reading your post above I assume I need to get the plug and splice it into a few places? (unless the plug is hiding behind the dash somewhere, I assume not!)

Thanks again.