Sign in to follow this  
Back2Beemer

Sun Protection Glass - how dark?

Evening all,

Does anyone know how dark (in terms of % light allowed through) the factory tinted glass is?

It’s not something I’ve optioned so will have to go down the tint route, but want to get it as close as possible to factory.

If anyone has any pics of their factory tint or aftermarket that would be great.

They're pretty dark, you have to see it really, I had it on a loan 330d and it looked really odd on a dark car with normal windows up front and heavily tinted ones on the rear.

I'm obviously in the minority though as it seems to be selected on pretty much every G30/31.

1 minute ago, Johnyboy said:

They're pretty dark, you have to see it really, I had it on a loan 330d and it looked really odd on a dark car with normal windows up front and heavily tinted ones on the rear.

I'm obviously in the minority though as it seems to be selected on pretty much every G30/31.

Yeah it’s not to everyone’s taste, and I’m waiting to see what the car is like in the flesh before I decide I’m definitely going down the tint route.

BMW’s does look darker than most from the factory when I’ve seen them on the road. 

I think it’s 30% will check tomorrow, looks great on a white car imo

Yes they are dark, first car I have had with it and now I love it.... had a loan 520 for a day and without privacy glass it felt like driving around in a goldfish bowl 

Thanks all - they do look really dark, I would have said as low as 15/20% looking at the pics!

I guess I’ll have to see one in real life up close to determine which tint level I’ll need.

If your buying as part of the M Sport plus pack, worth it for the other equipment in there and the tint comes as part of the pack, look better than tint as it’s gas tinted. However, if your speccing separately as a stand alone option, no way it’s worth £300 plus, my car says it’s 30% transparency 

11 hours ago, sjak92 said:

If your buying as part of the M Sport plus pack, worth it for the other equipment in there and the tint comes as part of the pack, look better than tint as it’s gas tinted. However, if your speccing separately as a stand alone option, no way it’s worth £300 plus, my car says it’s 30% transparency 

My car is an SE, and unfortunately it’ll be rolling it’s way onto a boat any day now, so factory options aren’t an option any more.

That’s why I was asking how dark they were so I could get the best match possible done. I know it doesn’t look quite as good as the factory fit, but it’ll have to do!

8 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

My car is an SE, and unfortunately it’ll be rolling it’s way onto a boat any day now, so factory options aren’t an option any more.

That’s why I was asking how dark they were so I could get the best match possible done. I know it doesn’t look quite as good as the factory fit, but it’ll have to do!

I’ve been dissapointed with the privacy glass on my previous BMs but this time the tint is perfect , IMO it really adds to the look