Sign in to follow this  
flybynite

What to do with my 535?

New to the forum so HI TO ALL! :D

I have an '89 E34 535i Sport that has been in the family for a couple of decades and been off the road for half of that. Time has come to deal with it one way or another. For the life of me I can't decide what to do. To be honest I have a couple of cars to deal with and I have to be a bit ruthless. I would love to keep them all but it can't happen.

It has done 130K, still on metric wheels, clutch has gone, it has a flashing dashboard electrical niggle and it drains the battery. Outside the paint (zinober red) is faded and there is a bit of a crease down both drivers side doors otherwise body is sound not much rust and the engine did run well. Black leather interior is still OK. That was before it was parked in a corner 10 years ago so I would say that is the starting list now!

I think I have a few choices. (would start a poll but I would like to hear peoples thoughts)

To sell it. I could do that either as it is, make it drivable (bare minimum for MOT etc) or spend more time/money to get it decent. I don't think they are fetching the sort of money that would make it worth spending much on though and I can't really see that changing soon. Its a good car but it's not an E28. 

OR use it as a donor for another car I have ('83 E30) which will probably be the keeper. One option is to make a 335i out of the two (equivalent to an Alpina B6 or 333i) then break the rest of the car selling the shell and other parts. The E30 needs engine work anyway which is the best part of the 535

I would like to sit on it longer but I can realistically only keep one and I think the E30 wins on that front. Seems a shame to just break it or sell it as a non-runner but I don't see much option at the moment.

Thoughts? :wacko:

Sell it whole.

The M30 is an old boat anchor really and there are much better engines to fit into an E30 such as the cheap and readily available 330i E46 unit.

A saveable red 535i Sport has a value, especially a manual like yours. Probably 1000-1500 quid if it's not fucked with rust and still has a cam that doesn't resemble a Toblerone.

Thanks for all the replies!

27 minutes ago, cableguy said:

Manual or Auto? Manual will always fetch a good premium over the Auto cars.

Its a manual! (thought the "clutch has gone" bit might give it away :D)

25 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The M30 is an old boat anchor really and there are much better engines to fit into an E30 such as the cheap and readily available 330i E46 unit.

I looked at other engines and to be honest they all need a lot of fabrication and a lot of parts-bin engineering. Even a 'stroker' M20 engine is harder to do these days now eta engines are scarce. The M30 is almost plug and play, it has been done by others including Alpina. I would not be looking for bleeding edge performance, just a bit more fun and to replace a very problematic M20. Plus I know that engine did run well.

33 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

A saveable red 535i Sport has a value, especially a manual like yours. Probably 1000-1500 quid if it's not fucked with rust and still has a cam that doesn't resemble a Toblerone.

This is my dilemma, to get another engine/gearbox along with all the other bits would probably be cost me a lot more. Plus it has the leather Mtec sports seats that I could put to use

10 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd at least take it for an MOT and see whats what.

To be honest to do that it is going to be money wasted if I either sell it as-is or break it. It will obviously need the clutch and most probably tyres, because it is on metrics that would mean wheels as well. I can see most things myself on the ramp anyway when I eventually retrieve it from where it is stored.

1 hour ago, paperjams said:

How much would you want for it as is? I’d love a project 

I've only just started to think about this, as above really, a reasonable price for it at the moment might not replace the parts. If I find a more viable option for the E30 it may put a different slant on it. I'm looking at all options I can

Which is probably why I cant make my mind up :wacko:

If it has no sentimental value to you, then depending on how much work is required to put it right, making it roadworthy with a fresh MOT would probably be the best option, because you could then sell it for decent money.

As others said, using it as a donor for an E30 is not the best option, as there are better engines/gearboxes out here...

If you want to get rid off it as it is, then try putting it on eBay or in the "Cars" section of the forum and see what kind of interest you get. Simple.

535 manuals are starting to rise in price ... Why not post some pictures and see the response ...  red exterior with black leather is lovely 

Some good pics and an honest advert would realise good money on ebay, however be prepared for lots of muppets asking stupid questions... It would also break for good money being a genuine Sport. ;)

Good luck in whatever your decision.

C.

Well thanks for all the replies, to be honest I am still no further on so I'm going to deal with one of the other cars first to give me a bit more thinking time :rolleyes:

A lot will depend on what I do with the E30 and I have spent a lot of time looking at that now and no further on with that either. Yes the M50/52/54 from the e46 era is a better engine but the fit is far from straight forward. Parts are scarce to make stroker engines out of the M20 now. The M50B35 just seems an easy bolt on choice and I have a whole donor car. If it was a standard 535i I probably wouldn't hesitate but being a genuine Sport I don't want to do anything rash.

As soon as I get it out of storage I'll post some pics always better to see the machine I guess

One decision made though, just doing it to MOT will not happen, to do that I may as well keep the momentum going and bring it up to a reasonable standard, most of the spending would be to get it to MOT (tyres/clutch/electrics) to get it decent would not be that much more work. Final alternative is to sell it as is and that is still a possibility if I find a good solution for the E30.

I would still need to sort out the wheels and tyres. To keep it looking like a Sport (rather than an Alpina, M5 or an E39) would be important I think. Guess it would be type 5's or go with what metric tyres are available.

Anyone re-shod or replaced metrics recently?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Bmw-Parts?_rdc=1

Send me a shopping list and I will get you some prices.

A set of 15inch BBs's, like fitted to this is 150 for the set plus post

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Breaking-E34-525-tds-Manual-Cosmos-Metallic-/372179591516