slam

Road Tax Fine

Yeah, it came through at the same time as the slip that confirmed I am no longer the keeper of the vehicle in the same way as other vehicles I have sold previously.  I'm just not sure how their system could have thought I had tax on it?  I just declared it SORN when the tax ran out back in August and I have checked there have been no payments for any further tax since.  But totally agree, its pretty worrying that kind of error can happen, I mean If I have received a refund in error, his many people out there have been charged extra in error??

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Agree, but there are two drawbacks - 1) foreign companies/hgvs will carry enough fuel never to need to fill up here, however we could introduce an overseas registered vehicle charge

2) the roadtax process is a good way to enforce a check on insurance of those vehicles on the road, otherwise we dont have a central record that owners are forced to use

Hmmm.....

1) Do they not do that anyway? And would it make that much difference if we are actually getting revenue from the people who are currently avoiding RFL?

2) The kind of people who are deliberately dodging RFL will in all probability be the uninsured tosser who rear ends you in a traffic queue. If they can get away without being caught for RFL what is to say they are insured or that the vehicle has a valid MOT?

I am not saying do away with the central database, just change the way the RFL is collected.

True enough, but hgvs cause so much damage to road surfaces vs a standard weight vehicle, they need to find a way to charge appropriately and keep British transport fleets competitive! 

Anyhow, did you know the post office is still involved with the RFL? Trying to get a refund of tax on mine due to a change in status of the vehicle and apparently the post office needed to update their database! Very wierd.

Aagh. Despite doing everything asked of me by them on the last call, when they even phoned through to the case officer who'd rejected it the first time to check what was needed, ive just received another letter stating i need to visit the post office yet again to change the vehicle class despite me having changed it at the post office 5 months ago. Muppets. 

After a long struggle the case has been closed in my favour.

After getting no where with the enforcement department, I went through their complaints department, annoyingly they had assigned the same case to two different complaint handlers so I received two different letters telling me to beat it.  Thankfully, the letters had a direct telephone number on them, I finally managed to speak to a human who acknowledged problems with wording on their website and to my disbelief said they wouldn't have enforced the fine anyway - which is wonderful for the folk that avoid tax knowingly.  I guess the use of debt collection agents is a scare tactic to make you pay up.

It shouldn't have got this far, waste of my time and public resources but I won.

Edited by slam

Join ClearScore if you haven't already (it's completely free) and check if all of this has had an affect on your credit score.

You may have another battle on your hands trying to get it removed :(

Some info...

The number of direct debit agreements for vehicle excise duty (VED) processed in 2016/2017...

2016: 13,046,276

2017: 13,750,815

Late payment notices  for direct debits missed...

2016: 401,414

2017: 484,475

Cases referred to debt collection agencies for direct debits missed...
2016 : 321,756

2017: 401,837

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/659918/vehicle-excise-duty-evasion-statistics-2017.pdf

The DVLA are processing more direct debits than ever but yet the number of untaxed vehicles is rising, the number of penalty notices are rising and debt collection agencies are getting busier.

Allows someone ready  to make a profit out of someone else’s misfortune. If everybody did everything right, think how many debt collectors and associates would be out of work.

19 hours ago, slam said:

Some info...

The number of direct debit agreements for vehicle excise duty (VED) processed in 2016/2017...

2016: 13,046,276

2017: 13,750,815

Late payment notices  for direct debits missed...

2016: 401,414

2017: 484,475

Cases referred to debt collection agencies for direct debits missed...
2016 : 321,756

2017: 401,837

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/659918/vehicle-excise-duty-evasion-statistics-2017.pdf

The DVLA are processing more direct debits than ever but yet the number of untaxed vehicles is rising, the number of penalty notices are rising and debt collection agencies are getting busier.

The percentages are not far off consistent. More people should get caught this way