Ladies and Gents

I have an upcoming service, and the car is still just about inside the 1 year AUC warranty still. I am going to attempt to attach some screen shots of what the car claims is due on the iDrive, and what the dealer claims the key says is due and when too.   (Seems to include a "vehicle check" and a "vehicle inspection", one of which is just a fluffy way of saying an MOT from what I can gather)

The dealer told me the next one is a biggie and that it'll cost over £600.  So the reason for this post is, to ask you folk if you think his assessment is accurate, is the service that big and should it cost that much (or shall i get some other main dealer quotes to use to haggle him down?)

I also notice that the rear brake pads report to be needing to be done soon too, but possibly not in the scope of the imminent "big" service. Would you favour getting that done at the same time? Or keep that for a small garage and save a few pennies? 

Thanks guys!

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

Ladies and Gents

I have an upcoming service, and the car is still just about inside the 1 year AUC warranty still. I am going to attempt to attach some screen shots of what the car claims is due on the iDrive, and what the dealer claims the key says is due and when too.   (Seems to include a "vehicle check" and a "vehicle inspection", one of which is just a fluffy way of saying an MOT from what I can gather)

The dealer told me the next one is a biggie and that it'll cost over £600.  So the reason for this post is, to ask you folk if you think his assessment is accurate, is the service that big and should it cost that much (or shall i get some other main dealer quotes to use to haggle him down?)

I also notice that the rear brake pads report to be needing to be done soon too, but possibly not in the scope of the imminent "big" service. Would you favour getting that done at the same time? Or keep that for a small garage and save a few pennies? 

Thanks guys!

IMG_0415.jpg

Hi Sarjoo,

The BMW Vehicle check is not the MOT - 2 different things but ultimately looking at the same areas of the car. I let them do the vehicle check on mine just to keep a clean service history and then had the MOT done.

Take a look at www.bmw-service.co.uk with your Reg and mileage and you'll see the cost of the different service items. I'd suggest you need:

Engine oil service with microfilter, air filter & fuel filter

Vehicle Check

Standard Scope (This is required with most services at BMW)

Your rear brakes are showing being required in 49,710 miles so a long way off yet.

Most dealers are going to give you the standard price as shown on the website I mentioned. But do try to haggle of course.

You can go the Indi route but as you have AUC still, I'd consider going with BMW so there are no arguments should anything fail while still under warranty. That is just my opinion and mine is to have the standard services done at BMW but brakes I will do myself. Just to maintain the dealer service record.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

To give you a rough idea i did a "full" DIY service once my warranty ran out in July, this included the oil, oil filter, microfilter, air filter element and also the fuel filter. the parts cost me just over £100 and apart from the engine oil being Fuchs 5w-30 LL04 and not BMW's (shell rebranded) oil, i used Mahle parts for all the filters which is what BMW uses.

if you are not planning on extending the warranty then i would just do the service yourself or a via reputable independant and it will cost you half or less what BMW want

Yes looks like it could be a biggie due in April this year.  I'm not sure obviously on the frequency of items on a Diesel engined variant but on mine I think it was the second oil service on mine when they changes oil and oil filter, spark plugs, engine air filter and pollen filters.  They don't list the smaller items as separate service items on the F10 like they did on the E60, its just lumped in with every second or third engine oil change.

Yes Statutory vehicle inspection is BMW iDrive speak for MOT.  And "vehicle check" is a different service item requirement, however the vehicle check checks everything an MOT checks and more!

A vehicle check service is around £100 alone.  Oil service similar, chuck in the pollen filters at nearly another £100 plus an engine air filter at £50, you are at £350 already, £400 inc the MOT.

Edited by 535i Andrew

Most main dealers will charge about that. Is it all necesary, no. 

If you're coming to the end of your approved warranty and arent planning on renewing it then my advice would be to get the service done by a good bmw indy and have them thoroughly check for anything else that might need doing - the egr cooler leak is one that seems to occur often and expensive if not under warranty. 

As far as i know you do not need services done by bmw to retain the warranty. Check the small print. 

Dear all, so i do intend on renewing the BMW warranty so for that reason will go the BMW service route, minus the brakes which in neither case seem to need doing immediately (i think I read the column "Include Range" and the iDrive seemed to show rear brake pads in 3600 miles @Matthew Ashton, whereas the paper work says 49k miles and In range of 2400ish whatever that means.)

So is it likely to be a good move to call a couple of service departments and quote the TICKED items on that paper work as being the things that need doing and see how much they say with a view to haggle down my actual dealer?

Namely get quote on this:

Vehicle Check

Standard Scope 

Never had any luck haggling but get a written quote or have them add it to your notes on their system. 

When the final bill is more than the quote at least you have something to bat it back with - and in my experience they will try and add spare litre of oil and top up the washer fluid for stupid money. While negotiating on price make it clear you dont want those! 

3 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

Dear all, so i do intend on renewing the BMW warranty so for that reason will go the BMW service route, minus the brakes which in neither case seem to need doing immediately (i think I read the column "Include Range" and the iDrive seemed to show rear brake pads in 3600 miles @Matthew Ashton, whereas the paper work says 49k miles and In range of 2400ish whatever that means.)

So is it likely to be a good move to call a couple of service departments and quote the TICKED items on that paper work as being the things that need doing and see how much they say with a view to haggle down my actual dealer?

Namely get quote on this:

Vehicle Check

Standard Scope 

Sorry, when replying I removed the pictures of your iDrive status and didn't look back at them.

Yes, Rear brake pads will need changing and as has been mentioned in the forum before, the mileage due can fluctuate drastically as the wear sensor gets to the end of its life. I'd do a physical check of the pad material actually remaining and would probably get them changed sooner than later.

Check that website to get the quote for your car so you have an immediate cost benchmark when discussing prices with the service department.

Typically with the F10 diesel, the 2nd and 4th oil services are the pricier ones.

Never trust the iDrive when it comes to estimating brake pad life - always use a physical measurement.  I've seen them go to zero miles with 8mm of meat left on the pads.

Sounds like you've got the value service prices. https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/value_service

Always worth getting quotes from more than 1 dealer as some of them will make more competitive offers.

2012 should be eligible for the value line servicing which gives cheaper prices. Don't forget, the prices quoted on bmw-service are indicative, you can always ask for a discount when having a number of items carried out (and play dealers off against each other). 

17 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Typically with the F10 diesel, the 2nd and 4th oil services are the pricier ones.

As severy second service will include pollen and engine air filters. Then chuck in a fuel filter for the Diesel engines and spark plugs for the petrol engines. That's why they are pricier.

On 12/01/2018 at 10:40 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

Take a look at www.bmw-service.co.uk with your Reg and mileage and you'll see the cost of the different service items.

Well unless there's a problem with that website this morning i've just had a very pleasant surprise:

bmw.thumb.JPG.7b32c257c10743163f9c965ed43ff8b4.JPG

1 hour ago, shauney said:

Well unless there's a problem with that website this morning i've just had a very pleasant surprise:

bmw.thumb.JPG.7b32c257c10743163f9c965ed43ff8b4.JPG

It probably right cos mine still says "no service pack" for me

5 hours ago, Sarjoo said:

It probably right cos mine still says "no service pack" for me

Its not infallible  - shows mine as "no service pack", but I definitely have a 3 year pack.

pro tip: make sure you take HD photos of your car from all angles and also a photo of the mileage before letting them at it.

Does anyone have a link showing whats done on each oil change please for petrol? 

Edited by bmwmike

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

pro tip: make sure you take HD photos of your car from all angles and also a photo of the mileage before letting them at it.

Yeah I did that on Friday when it went in for its MOT.

Mileage was bang on when I got it back but I thought the bu$$ers had used loads of fuel letting it idle for ages, but on checking the photo I took of the mileage and the fuel gauge, they hadn't. 

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Does anyone have a link showing whats done on each oil change please for petrol? 

Over and above the oil and filter, you will get.

A cursory glance over suspension and brakes.

A cursory glance over exhaust fixings.

A cursory glance to make sure all the lights, horn, wipers and skooshers work.

A bucket of cold water thrown over it followed by a yellow sponge full of grit.

A very nice smiley service advisor who smiles ever so nicely at you when asking for your payment.

On 14/01/2018 at 9:10 PM, shauney said:

Hmmmm I think i'll call the dealer in the morning to check. Would be lovely if it did have one.

And it does have one. So i've got a brake fluid change in next month and probably a couple of oil changes before it expires at 50k