Richard Buzz Harrison

518i Not starting. Any advice very welcome

Hi Guys, my 518i isn't starting at the minute and I'm not experienced enough to know what bits to check.
Before I get the mechanic round, I wondered if anyone had any ideas that I could try.

I've attached a video of what's happening. 
So far I've changed the fuel filter as I had a new one ready to go on.
The dizzy is clean and dry
Unplugged the MAF to see if that made a difference.

Anything else that I can check myself?

Video 10-01-2018, 11 56 12.mov

Let's start simple. Do you have fuel in the tank. Obvious but often overlooked. 

Secondly are you getting a spark?

easily checked by removing a plug and holding it against the head (with insulated pliers) and cranking the engine. 

I would disconnect the fuel line from the injectors and turn the engine over to see if fuel is getting through.

8 hours ago, Richard Buzz Harrison said:

Is there a relay I can swap with the fuel pump relay to rule that out, before testing fuel pressure etc?

the pump does prime the lines but I know this doesn’t mean it has the correct pressure.

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse ? also have you changed the fuel pump in your ownership ? and have you checked for leaks.

12 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse ? also have you changed the fuel pump in your ownership ? and have you checked for leaks.

Well the fuse labelled fuel pump 16a has never been in the fuse box and ive been running it over a year with no issues. I tried a fuse in it anyway, no success.

i haven’t changed the fuel pump yet. I haven’t spotted any leaks or smelled any petrol.

Fuel pump relay, standard old LE Jetronic problem. It's the tall seven pin black one near the fuse box. When if fails, the pump often still works and primes the fuel rail, but the relay also powers the injectors and it's normally that which fails. You can remove the relay and join three terminals with a bit of wire. From memory it's  injectors (87, red/white) and fuel pump (87b green/purple) and battery 12v (30, red). That energises the pump and injectors. 

Quick check - spray some EasyStart or plain petrol into the intake. If it starts briefly, the relay is probably up the spout. There are two types of seven pin relay and they don't interchange. Cannot recall which is which now, as it's 15 years since I had a 518i.

Check the fuel pump fuse as E28's have the shitty old bullet fuses.

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Thanks guys.

I'll try wiring the relay tomorrow. Also going to grab some easy start.

The Fuse labelled Fuel pump 16A (top left - when reading the labels the correct way up) is missing and has been ever since I've owned the car. Adding the fuse didn't help the situation, but just wondering if that's an issue...

I appreciate all the help lads

7 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

You can remove the relay and join three terminals with a bit of wire. From memory it's  injectors (87, red/white) and fuel pump (87b green/purple) and battery 12v (30, red). That energises the pump and injectors. 

Another dumb question sorry: Connect all three together?