Beej4

Introduction, new E34 M5 3.8 owner...soon!

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Maybe I'm being cynical but I can't see another 3.8 (that's affordable) coming on the market. The few that I've seen for sale are all over 25K, far beyond my wallet. 

Of course their rarity makes them super appealing whereas there are plenty of e46 m3's for sale so it's fairly easy to pick a good one from that bunch. 

As I said, I do need a second car in the house so if a e34 m5 3.8 doesn't crop up in the next week or so, I might go and get a good e46 m3. 

PS love your username Bumbclut! 

25k is dreaming i think still for a UK car, i sold mine for 12k in the summer just gone. a 6 speed in avus blue with champagne trim. I miss it

41 minutes ago, Bumbaclut said:

25k is dreaming i think still for a UK car, i sold mine for 12k in the summer just gone. a 6 speed in avus blue with champagne trim. I miss it

Yes, you sold too cheap Simon!

23 hours ago, greenelekta said:

Yes, you sold too cheap Simon!

And i can't afford yours!!

The blue 6 speed touring i could of had about 18 months ago for £22k is now forsale here in the UK for £50,000! 

There is no doubt that the 3.8 has more torque and feels faster than the 3.6. Neither car could be considered fast by modern standards though and once on a charge there is very little in it. Both share the fantastic S38 and both feel special. 

Buy on condition above all else, a ropey car that hasn’t been well cared for will be both expensive and frustrating to own. Parts are getting hard to find now and expertise is also limited. If at all possible buy a known car from an enthusiast. 

I have driven several 3.8’s, have owned my 3.6 for 12 years along with an E28 M5, an E39 M5, a 1M coupe and an F10 M5. You will not be disappointed with a healthy 3.6 although if prices ever really pick up (we’ve all been waiting years) a 3.8 will always be more valuable if that’s an issue for you.

The later 6 speed is relatively rare now, I’ve got a mate who has had both 3.8’s at the same time and he much preferred his 5 speed. The bigger brakes on the 6 speed are nice to have but I prefer the throwing stars and the narrow grille of the 5 speed, the 6 speed box is effectively unrepairable so that’s another thing to bear in mind. 

Good of luck with your search, they are fantastic cars. 

Edited by kobayashi

Thanks for your experiences Kobayashi, well heeded by me.
I think I've said before that if I wanted something very quick, I'd buy some other car.

I want to experience an M car once in my life, especially a classic M. I'm aware it might cost some money but saying that, I ran a 996 C4S for 3 years and they aren't cheap either. I reckon it's a close call for price hikes between parts with the word 'Porsche' or 'BMW' written on them!

Done the 911, that's sold. Ready for the M!

I got a surprising call last night. The owner of the m5 3.8 suddenly decided he wanted to sell his car after all (this is the guy who froze me out last Friday), 

The newly revised price was 2.5K more than we'd agreed to last time. Suffice to say I said no. Even if the price was the same, I'm afraid he's burnt my fingers so I wouldn't buy it anyway, however nice the car was. 

Members may see this one readvertised again some time. If you enjoy playing the silly buggers game, go for it! 

He sounds like a dickhead trying to play the game. All too often these fucking plumbs end up with cars like these  

42 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Mercedes 500E W124.

I'm not into Mercs, but these are epic, would eat an M5 for tea and shit it out again. And they're still sensible money. Big old V8 and a proper auto.

I wouldn't go that far. It may give it a run for its money in a straight line but it wouldn't see where an M5 has gone around the twisty stuff. I've driven two well sorted W124 500E's for comparison. Very nice, well built cars but unfortunately LHD and slushbox only which hampers the driving experience IMO.

C.

48 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Mercedes 500E W124.

I'm not into Mercs, but these are epic, would eat an M5 for tea and shit it out again. And they're still sensible money. Big old V8 and a proper auto.

Aye. With that a superb wide body. 

10 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Mercedes 500E W124.

Whether it does or not is a moot point, I want a manual!