Beej4

Introduction, new E34 M5 3.8 owner...soon!

Sorry, it is a personal reason. 

I am gutted but not a lot I can do now. I hope to find another in time. 

By a quirk of fate, the 3.8 m5 I was going to buy is available to me and I'm going to buy it. This was the car some of you recognised as once belonging to a Mr Steve Mac and from those comments, it seemed the car wanted for nothing. 

New pick up day is Saturday 3rd. Pics when it's in my hands! 

Good decision . 

I will put you in touch with the proud owner of a 20 Jahre E34 M5 that lives in your area and organises regular meets , once you have collected it .

You are soon to become a member of a very rare and exclusive E34 M5 Owners Club and I am certain that you'll be very glad you took the opportunity while it was available .

Cherish your car and it will reward you with many a spirited drive rivalled by very few modern fast road cars .

D

That sounds great, thanks D. 

I'm waiting to hear back from the owner as he's putting it through an mot this week. 

Updates as soon as I get them. 

Update - MOT done yesterday, passed with no advisories.

Train booked, picking it up tomorrow (barring any nasty surprise on viewing).

Pics uploaded when I'm able to!

I can't believe this. The owner of M5 3.8 just called and said he's changed his mind about selling it and he's keeping it!

I'm cursed!

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Beej4 said:

Oh, I forgot to ask. 

The MOT record states the car is blue but in reality it is this Fjord grey colour.

Is this down to the MOT tester's colour perception rather than something for me to worry about?
Do I need to correct it somewhere?

Is that twice now...?

C.

Yeah. He couldn't part with it after seeing how good it looked. That decision cost me 50 quid in train fare. 

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Beej4 said:

Oh, I forgot to ask. 

The MOT record states the car is blue but in reality it is this Fjord grey colour.

Is this down to the MOT tester's colour perception rather than something for me to worry about?
Do I need to correct it somewhere?

I'd be asking for the train fare back. They've cost you money through their own fault and therefore should offer recompense.

C.

I did ask, especially as I was travelling the very next day so there was no refund from the train site. He said no. I can't exactly force him either. 

Very disappointed, after all he said, he wants to keep it. I suppose I can't blame him for that. 

So now, it's either investigate the silver 3.6 m5 or wait till a member wishes to sell their m5. 

Sorry to hear this .

The MOT with no advisories may have convinced him to keep it . That said , these cars do not benefit from being stood up and not used .

Good luck with your search .

D

Thanks D. That's exactly what I told him. He said he was just going to put it away again. What a shame to not have this driven regularly. A waste. 

Oh well, life goes on.

The 3.8 would be nice but I'm seeing different opinions written here. Some say there's little difference between the two, others are polarised one way or the other. 

Is a 3.6 really that poor a choice? 

My understanding (based on reading rather than ownership) is the 3.8 is more fragile and didn't often make the claimed 340 and the 3.6 makes its power or a bit more so the difference isn't night and day though 3.8 is faster. 

I think id be buying on condition rather than being dead set on one or the other though a late 6 speed would be the ultimate. 

The one I was left high and dry on was a late 3.8 6-speed. Not sure something like this will come up anytime soon. But you never know! 

Im still interested in the silver 3.6 that just ended on ebay, unsold. The one with the replacement engine. 

I would love to wait for such a car but funnily I need another car in the house after my C4S sold far quicker than  I thought. 

I do like the e46 m3 too. I've noticed of late that their prices seem to have bottomed out and are creeping up. 

A general M car trend? 

I have an immaculate silver e46 m3 in my sights. 

having driven both 3.6 and 3.8 and owned a 3.8 6 speed, the internet tells youi the 3.6 is bullet proof (true) and the 3.8 is like chocolate (not true!)   3.8 makes 90% of its peak torque from 2000rpm so it doesn't need revving to get going where as the 3.6 does as it doen't have the torque. 

My old 3.8 only made 310bhp but did the full 300lbs on the dyno with 150k on it, had no trouble hitting 155MPH on the autobahn with 4 people and a full boot of beer and tools going to the nurburgring.  

I'd honestly wait, i've not driven a 3.8 5 speed but alot think these are the sweetest version. I'd love to try one! 

E46 M3 is a hero chariot just awsome cars a good one!