Sign in to follow this  
Bush Pig

Intro & Question Before Purchase

Hi all,

Not a fully fledged BMW 5 series owner (yet) - please see below:

Been in the market for a new(ish) car to upgrade from my 2014 Ford Mondeo.  I have been looking at a couple of 1 year old G30's either a 2.0D SE with EDC, sports seats, technology package, comfort package and 19" wheels or a 3.0D M sport with 20" wheels, comfort package, parking assist, visibility and technology packages.  Aside from the cost,  just want some thoughts as to whether the 20" wheels without EDC is going to be too harsh or whether I would be better going for EDC (whether in the 2.0 or 3.0 flavour) which would appear to offer comfort and sport suspension options (or is that simplifying things too much?).

The trusty Mondeo has firm suspension (titanium spec) but I don't want a car that is crashing over every bump in the road.  Had a quick drive of both but this is not the same as living with it. The dealer stated that the EDC had no effect unless you were going on to a track?

Does anyone have a 520 or 530 with 20" rims and regret it? Do you need EDC with the bigger rims? Do I need to limit wheel size to 19" with non-EDC suspension?

Looking to make my mind up as early as this weekend so I could do with any thoughts real owners have (a salesman just wants to sell a car to me).

many thanks

(re-posted from into page)

Welcome!

I’m in the same boat as you and about to become an owner. The general consensus is from the road testers is that the larger wheels come with run flats, so upset the ride quality somewhat, so the recommendation is to go for adaptive dampers. The standard fit 17’s on the SE without run flats give a much more compliant ride - that’s what I’ve gone for, purely as it’s a company car and I can’t justify and further outlay / tax that’s more than the options I’ve already put on.

The car I took out for a test drive was a pretty standard M-sport on 18’s with no EDC and to be fair it wasn’t bad at all, but that was me comparing to a 2 series I’m currently in, which is pretty jarring ride wise.

As for the engine though, the 520d has plenty to give, so would only go for the 530 if the spec and price are right for you, and you enjoy going fast a lot.

Generally I don’t think you can go wrong with the new 5 though, so whatever you end up with it’ll be a massive step up from your Mondeo for sure!

Edited by Back2Beemer

1 hour ago, Bush Pig said:

Hi all,

Not a fully fledged BMW 5 series owner (yet) - please see below:

Been in the market for a new(ish) car to upgrade from my 2014 Ford Mondeo.  I have been looking at a couple of 1 year old G30's either a 2.0D SE with EDC, sports seats, technology package, comfort package and 19" wheels or a 3.0D M sport with 20" wheels, comfort package, parking assist, visibility and technology packages.  Aside from the cost,  just want some thoughts as to whether the 20" wheels without EDC is going to be too harsh or whether I would be better going for EDC (whether in the 2.0 or 3.0 flavour) which would appear to offer comfort and sport suspension options (or is that simplifying things too much?).

The trusty Mondeo has firm suspension (titanium spec) but I don't want a car that is crashing over every bump in the road.  Had a quick drive of both but this is not the same as living with it. The dealer stated that the EDC had no effect unless you were going on to a track?

Does anyone have a 520 or 530 with 20" rims and regret it? Do you need EDC with the bigger rims? Do I need to limit wheel size to 19" with non-EDC suspension?

Looking to make my mind up as early as this weekend so I could do with any thoughts real owners have (a salesman just wants to sell a car to me).

many thanks

(re-posted from into page)

ah... one of my favourite dilemma... 520d or 530d?

530d +

Used to be Smoother and quieter but not sure there is much in it now... I read the 520d has been encapsulated ... and I was very surprised when I heard one (I was walking)... seems very quiet.

More reliable? It was the case back in the e60 and f10.. not sure now.

Power ... that the big one.

520d +

Better economy (not much on motorway though from my experience in both e60 520d and e60 530d.)

I cannot remember who but one  review said it was a nicer car to drive as less weight on the front wheels. The journalist preferred the 520d

I won’t go into the 530d v 520d debate. The 530d is amazing, but when I ordered mine, the difference was £8k just on engine.

wife wanted the bigger engine but I just couldn’t justify it, at the end of the day, it’s get you from A to B just as well and well.

in terms of spec - I have an m sport on the 19’s. Nice Pirelli tyres and no EDC. Far more comfortable than previous F10 in same spec. I find the car comfortable enough. However, I drove the 730d on 20’s with adaptive suspension for over a week. The tech is the same and that car was Sublime in terms of suspension. I think it’s worth the upgrade in hindsight.

24 minutes ago, reggie59 said:

I cannot remember who but one  review said it was a nicer car to drive as less weight on the front wheels. The journalist preferred the 520d

Another journo preferred the 530d to the 540i so I guess that makes the 520d the pick of the bunch, and in some ways, for some people, I would agree.

In all honesty, if you don't like to 'push' your car, the 520d is a brilliant choice because you have enough power to get from A - B on UK roads without an engine that will vibrate in the cabin or sound like a tractor - that wasn't the case with 2ltr diesels 10 years ago, you picked the 530d because it was smoother as much as anything else..

The other engine choices now only need to be considered if you like to go fast(er). Not everyone would benefit from the extra power and only you can decide if you will be driving and feeling like you need more. I generally feel that way in every 'normal' (i.e. non-M) car, so I went straight to the 540i, but the majority of people I know in smaller engines have ZERO complaints about their car's power. Based on how good the 520d is in terms of noise/vibration/harshness now, it may really just be a question of power only now.

Both of the above are very true.

at the end of the day, the 520d is the best selling premium exec car for a reason and that is that at the end of the day, it’s is the best compromise between, efficiency, power, comfort and running costs money can buy. As an all rounder, it’s a no brainier. If you have the budget and the need for a bigger engine and more oomph, go for the 530d.

Having only got mine on Monday. 530d m sport with 20” no edc I really don’t mind the ride, I came from an E60 running 19” spiders that was so much worse. I tested a 540i with edc and honestly can’t feel much difference but suppose it’s down to choice. Where you based? anywhere near West Yorkshire as I’ll take you out in mine if you are

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here, go easy on me. Isn't EDC the same as VDC and doesn't this option just allow you to "tune" the suspension to Eco / Comfort / Sport? So it does give you the option of "harder" or "softer" rides, but I thought that the option that you really needed to go with the 20 inch wheels was the much more expensive Adaptive Drive?

Can't offer any help with the 2.0 vs 3.0 except to say that I'm really happy with my 3.0, though the sound is much more muted and less sporty than my previous E60 3.0.

12 minutes ago, lol64 said:

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here, go easy on me. Isn't EDC the same as VDC and doesn't this option just allow you to "tune" the suspension to Eco / Comfort / Sport? So it does give you the option of "harder" or "softer" rides, but I thought that the option that you really needed to go with the 20 inch wheels was the much more expensive Adaptive Drive?

Can't offer any help with the 2.0 vs 3.0 except to say that I'm really happy with my 3.0, though the sound is much more muted and less sporty than my previous E60 3.0.

Yes EDC =VDC (BMW keep changing nomenclature) and yes it allows the shocks to adjust between softer or firmer.

Adaptive Drive is the EDC plus adaptive anti roll bars to keep the car flat when cornering hard, but comfy when cruising. 

"Adaptive mode" on the drive select switch is not to be confused with Adaptive Drive. Adaptive mode sets the car to adapt to the road surfaces and driving style at the time.

If you JUST want a cosseted ride, then EDC will give you that, so if you are worried about a harsh ride on 20's but aren't looking for 'sporty' handling then EDC is fine. If you want a cosseted ride but without body roll when cornering (i.e. a bit more sporty), thats when you need AD.

However, its advisable to test drive to determine where the individual's tolerance for comfort and handling is, more so with the G30 than it was with the F10. This is because the G30 M Sport suspension has become a lot more comfortable than the F10 M Sport suspension, and the EDC/AD (even in sport mode) softens the handling compared to M Sport.

As an example, I found the F10 M Sport suspension too harsh and had to go with VDC. Even though I would have preferred the handling of M Sport, it would have been too much of a compromise for me personally in the comfort department. On the G30, M Sport with 20" wheels was very comfortable to me, and AD felt too soft even on the sport setting, so I was able to go for the M Sport suspension without sacrificing too much in the comfort department. EDC/AD was more comfortable, but M Sport wasn't harsh enough for me to justify compromising on the handling for that extra comfort. 

Some people will want the comfort above all else though, so no one should make their decision based off of others' opinions because we all have different tolerances. The real problem is finding the cars with AD/VDC to test drive! But I think its crucial to do that before choosing.

Thanks for the info all.  Have placed a deposit on the 3.0 M sport (as yet unseen) with 10k miles in carbon black with ivory interior.  Relieved at comments that 20" wheels and 'standard' suspension is compliant - great information so thanks to Mobilejo. Based in the south so no go for a test drive in Hudds.Taz but thanks for the offer.

Will go and see the car this weekend and will take for a test drive.  They do have an SE with Vdc if the wife thinks it is too much like a roller skate but I don't think this will be the case.

Only another £68 over the Mondeo insurance - that iis one of the benefits of a mid-life crisis!

That's the right colour scheme, I've got carbon black with ivory leather!

Make sure you have a good look at the rear windows, sun protection glass on dark cars can look very dark indeed, some people like it but I found it looked a bit wierd.

And the vast majority of cars are spec'd with 20" wheels with no VDC so it can't be all that bad.

It was cheaper for me to insure a brand new 540i than a 10 year old 535d - not sure how that works.

Edited by Johnyboy

27 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

That's the right colour scheme, I've got carbon black with ivory leather!

Make sure you have a good look at the rear windows, sun protection glass on dark cars can look very dark indeed, some people like it but I found it looked a bit wierd.

And the vast majority of cars are spec'd with 20" wheels with no VDC so it can't be all that bad.

It was cheaper for me to insure a brand new 540i than a 10 year old 535d - not sure how that works.

A lot of insurance is cheaper now on modern cars, mostly driven by autonomous emergency breaking systems limiting the chance of having an impact.

Some cars are commanding massive premiums though, including things like Golf R’s / S3’s / RS3’s as they’re prime targets for the new fangled house burglaries to steal car keys etc! 

Picked up my 17 plate 530 d M sport last night and drove it home in the snow up the M3!   Felt absolutely fantastic but the shiny black car I started with at the the dealership is alas no more after a bit of weather.

My other half pointed out to me tonight on Facebook that a g30 520 d was taken of the drive tonight in Tongham, Just up the road from me.  Might be another case of 'relay' car theft?

41 minutes ago, Bush Pig said:

Picked up my 17 plate 530 d M sport last night and drove it home in the snow up the M3!   Felt absolutely fantastic but the shiny black car I started with at the the dealership is alas no more after a bit of weather.

My other half pointed out to me tonight on Facebook that a g30 520 d was taken of the drive tonight in Tongham, Just up the road from me.  Might be another case of 'relay' car theft?

Not ideal conditions...but happy new car!

Yeah it seems that’s how people are being targeted, either that or a house break in. One of the reasons I will not have a keyless entry system on a car.