Strobe84

E60 535d Touring Buying Advice

Good afternoon all.

After becoming a dad back in August, I've finally come to the conclusion that the M5 has to go(it is too much of a project, and doesn't have a big boot) and I need to buy a fairy hefty estate car. I've always had a bit of a hankering for the E60, and have pretty much decided I want a 535d Touring in MSport trim, however as I've never owned an E60 I'd like your input on what I should be looking out for. Additionally I'd like to know whether in real world terms, the 535d has that much of an advantage over the 530d single turbo(I'd be looking to remap it). Having looked at the various options available I have decided that I would like at least:

* Rear PDC(for the wife.....)

* Pan Roof

* Sports Auto

* Black Leather

What other options would you recommend I look for? What is the achilles heel of this car? What(besides the obvious DPF etc) are the main cost items which should be evident in the history? 

Any advice would be great.

Lift up the boot carpet and check for water in the spare wheel well - this can fry the electronics that live in there. They also have issues with the wiring going to the boot lid breaking, but not as bad as on the 3 series. Engines are strong and take a lot of abuse, just keep an ear out for the turbo whining (police siren kinda sound), gearboxes likewise. You'll get the odd failure but on the whole they're pretty good The pre-LCI cars did tend to have higher failure rates though (but only on the twin turbo). An oil change on them is advisable. Swirl flaps on the inlet manifolds can fail and fall into the engine destroying it - expect to pay about 30-40 quid for a removal kit and a few hours (if you've never done it before) to remove them yourself. There's a hell of a range of kit available that could be specified when new, so if your budget allows, you can get one with all the toys relatively easily as long as you don't need a car right just now. They're quite prone to thermostats, which does affect the DPF regen but they're not that expensive and easy enough to do yourself.

In regards to performance, that's a difficult question to answer. The response (in the way it drives, and how it behaves tuned) from the twin turbo engine is brilliant. 400BHP can be done with the DPF out on the standard turbos, and 360 with it still in no problem. The single turbo one will do 280BHP with the DPF still in, and 300-320 with it out. If you want something that will with some playing be able to give you E39 M5 levels of quick, then the twin turbo one is best. Just bear in mind there's twice the bits to go wrong on them.

There's some E61 (aka E60 in Touring/Estate configuration) related general information in this recent thread.

* Rear PDC(for the wife.....) - standard option.

* Pan Roof - a few about, known for water leak drainage issues.

* Sports Auto - yep.

* Black Leather - quite likely.

Budget and year? The LCI facelift occured from March 2007 for most items, used prices ranging £6k to £12k (in Jan 2018).

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

There is no specific '535d' issue. The M57TU/T2 is a solid engine and majority of boost problems arise from leaking vacuum hoses, charge pipe and tired pressure converters. Turbo failures are due to owner neglect - missed oil intervals and incorrect oil. Avoid 'test pilots' who put on cheap tyres and sell before the service is due.

The boot space is deceptive so my advice is go and check it out. Get one with Comfort seats, electic folding mirrors, heated seats. I have the panaromic roof, used it thrice in five years. It's only useful to brighten up the cabin because I have sun protection (privacy) glass. The seals perish which allow wind noise, pita to replace. The best colour is silver grey (A08) :D.

On 10/01/2018 at 4:46 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Lift up the boot carpet and check for water in the spare wheel well - this can fry the electronics that live in there. They also have issues with the wiring going to the boot lid breaking, but not as bad as on the 3 series. Engines are strong and take a lot of abuse, just keep an ear out for the turbo whining (police siren kinda sound), gearboxes likewise. You'll get the odd failure but on the whole they're pretty good The pre-LCI cars did tend to have higher failure rates though (but only on the twin turbo). An oil change on them is advisable. Swirl flaps on the inlet manifolds can fail and fall into the engine destroying it - expect to pay about 30-40 quid for a removal kit and a few hours (if you've never done it before) to remove them yourself. There's a hell of a range of kit available that could be specified when new, so if your budget allows, you can get one with all the toys relatively easily as long as you don't need a car right just now. They're quite prone to thermostats, which does affect the DPF regen but they're not that expensive and easy enough to do yourself.

In regards to performance, that's a difficult question to answer. The response (in the way it drives, and how it behaves tuned) from the twin turbo engine is brilliant. 400BHP can be done with the DPF out on the standard turbos, and 360 with it still in no problem. The single turbo one will do 280BHP with the DPF still in, and 300-320 with it out. If you want something that will with some playing be able to give you E39 M5 levels of quick, then the twin turbo one is best. Just bear in mind there's twice the bits to go wrong on them.

My 530 is 284bhp with dpf gutted..am i missing something?.

I had the exact same dilemma 2 years ago, 530d or 535d, I upped my budget a little and opted for 535d as I'd didnt want to look back and though i should have gone for the twin turbo, there a very quick car as standard and lightning quick once tuned, I've raced my brother in his e46 m3 and if the git would have moved over I would have been past him , as mentioned above the main things replaced on mine have been the thermostats, vacuum hoses, a top boost hose front suspension arms  and the usual servicing parts 

On 1/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, Chu said:

My 530 is 284bhp with dpf gutted..am i missing something?.

Personally I wouldn't go looking to change the map again for a small increase. It could've been a little down on power to begin with unless you have standard figures to compare with. 300BHP is my stage 1 with the DPF out (they routinely make between 295 and 305BHP) and my stage 2 makes around 320BHP.

On 10/01/2018 at 3:55 PM, Strobe84 said:

* Rear PDC(for the wife.....)

* Pan Roof

* Sports Auto

* Black Leather

Have just bought a 535d, 2008, £8,5K.

have the same extras as you want. Lovely car to drive (as it should be). Really pleasant. And a very powerful one. It is soooo smooth... love it!

Richie

6 hours ago, RichieValens said:

Have just bought a 535d, 2008, £8,5K.

have the same extras as you want. Lovely car to drive (as it should be). Really pleasant. And a very powerful one. It is soooo smooth... love it!

Richie

Entirely likely it was one of the ones I was keeping my eye on! Pics?

48 minutes ago, Strobe84 said:

Entirely likely it was one of the ones I was keeping my eye on! Pics?

Don't have any yet. It is dark when I leave the house and dark when I come home.
And the weather has been bad, so no photos as of yet.