Jump to content
Sarjoo

F10 Reverse light and/or Foglight warning

Recommended Posts

Dear Forum Folk

 

Wonder if you could help me ascertain if this is a serious gremlin which I should get the car booked in for? Or just ignore for a while?


On a few occasions I have been greeted with an intermittent reverse light failure message. It comes and goes with long passage of time in between.

Then yesterday I got a new one, "Rear flog light failure" which was not there this morning.

 

Is this the signs of some kind of more serious electrical issue? Something I ought to get checked out? The car is still, just about, inside the 12 month AUC warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fault with Fog and reverse suggests to me that it may be an issue with the wiring to the bootlid.

 

Reverse certainly and I think Fog lights are in the cluster on the boot lid.They are only two filiament bulbs in the rear of the car. Check the holder on each light cluster and if no luck thee check the routing of the wires between the boot and the chassis. Common issue for wires to get chaffed on the flexing of the rubber duct on touring models of most types of BMWs, so not out of the realms of possibility on saloon models.

 

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=63_1214

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses guys. So this evening when the rear fog warning came on again I turned the rear fog lamp switch on and walked round the back of the car to have a look and could not see a fog lamp on (and full lights were on at it was evening.)  

 

I haven't noticed any other lights flickering but next time, if and when the reverse lamp warning comes back, I'll check if the reverse lights are working/flickering.  All other normal rear lamps seems to work and not flicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant to look at mine last night for you and I'm in work now, sorry.

 

Careful checking the reverse lights if yours is an auto As the only way to get reverse lights on in an auto is to engage reverse with the engine running. Ideally you need a second person to check the reverse lights work or to sit in the drivers seat pressing the brake pedal....what I'm saying is don't stand behind the car in reverse gear and only rely on the handbrake to hold it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all.

 

So just add my car is a 6MT just to be clear so the only way for me to check the reverse bulbs was to see I know her into reverse and have someone confirm the bulbs work, or as I did see the bulbs reflecting off a window in the absence of a second person.

 

Both reverse bulbs seemed fine as in no flickering that I could tell off a reflection anyway.

 

Also no warning dash alerts today either so need to repeat this when the reverse light warning comes back to be sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sorry what do you meant by

 

 

Could be as simple as loose bulbs as being in the boot lid which gets slammed, they may vibrate loose.

 

Apologies its a 6-speed manual transmission

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Easy, ignition on but don't start engine stick it into reverse that will put the reverse lights on. No issues there then.

 

Ok will give that a go later on then, thanks again. Seems so far to be leaning towards a loose bulb on the reverse (as its an intermittent fault and the actual lights seemed ok today), and a faulty bulb on the rear fog (as I couldn't see it on at all). Which cluster side is the rear fog on anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

 

Ok will give that a go later on then, thanks again. Seems so far to be leaning towards a loose bulb on the reverse (as its an intermittent fault and the actual lights seemed ok today), and a faulty bulb on the rear fog (as I couldn't see it on at all). Which cluster side is the rear fog on anyway?

 

Foglights are on both sides as with the reverse lights.

 

Assuming your car is an automatic, I doubt you'll be able to engage reverse without the engine running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Foglights are on both sides as with the reverse lights.

 

Assuming your car is an automatic, I doubt you'll be able to engage reverse without the engine running.

nope its a 6 speed manual Matthew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Ah, yes.

 

Here - all you ever needed to know about lighting on your F10/F11 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/953k0v4ebobm3n7/F10_F11 Lighting.pdf?dl=0

 

 

That's awesome, so useful thanks!  As ever, you knowledgeable guys are contributing some darn good stuff to this forum, keep up the good work for the hopeless like myself :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2018 at 9:17 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Easy, ignition on but don't start engine stick it into reverse that will put the reverse lights on. No issues there then.

 

Tried this, same, lights look perfectly fine, both white bulbs on and no flickering.

 

Will mention to the dealer when the car is next in for service (very soon) and tell them to investigate. See here:

 

Edited by Sarjoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get them to check it out esp if still under warranty when it goes in.

 

As the two bulbs you are having intermittent faults with are int he same bulb holder its got to be a loose connection somewhere, I would think.

 

What are the side light like in that cluster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Get them to check it out esp if still under warranty when it goes in.

 

As the two bulbs you are having intermittent faults with are int he same bulb holder its got to be a loose connection somewhere, I would think.

 

What are the side light like in that cluster?

 

Planning to book the car in for early Feb, and it'll just about be under AUC warranty (but since am going to renew that anyway shouldn't matter too much) and will tell them I suspect its a loose wire as it comes and goes, have a screen shot on my phone to show them.  Will screenshot the reverse failure alert if it ever reappears too.

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 11.58.58.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

 

Planning to book the car in for early Feb, and it'll just about be under AUC warranty (but since am going to renew that anyway shouldn't matter too much) and will tell them I suspect its a loose wire as it comes and goes, have a screen shot on my phone to show them.  Will screenshot the reverse failure alert if it ever reappears too.

 

 

A failing filament bulb could cause the same symptom. I'd change the bulbs first before taking it to BMW as, if you take it to them and they find it is the bulb, you will pay handsomely for their technician to change it for you. Just eliminate that at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had the reverse light fail message, it cleared in the space of a few hours but tonight the Mrs said it was flickering as I reversed down the drive, so I suspect a faulty bulb (I changed them to LED a while ago) and I will swap over when I get round to ordering some new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sshooie said:

I've just had the reverse light fail message, it cleared in the space of a few hours but tonight the Mrs said it was flickering as I reversed down the drive, so I suspect a faulty bulb (I changed them to LED a while ago) and I will swap over when I get round to ordering some new ones.

 

I remember you doing that. Did you fit ballast resistors or were they plug and play lights?

Presumably the touring has the reverse and fog on the tailgate too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

I remember you doing that. Did you fit ballast resistors or were they plug and play lights?

Presumably the touring has the reverse and fog on the tailgate too?

No, they came as canbus LED's iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×