Sign in to follow this  
lol64

Where do you put your iPhone?

My G31 has a little cubby with a USB connector at the front of the centre console, which I assumed was to put your phone. Trouble is,  an iPhone 7+ with a slim case won't fit in there (I guess the same will probably be true for the 8 and the X).

The options I can think of are (a) put it in the centre storage bit and have the wire dangling from the USB socket over the gear change lever etc or (b) get a Brodit clip or similar and try to hide the wires. Don't really like the last option as I don't want or need my phone "out" on the dash or close.

What's the bmw5 Brain Trust come up with to solve this? And why couldn't those nice people at BMW make the cubby hole a bit bigger to fit modern smart phones? I guess that last comes down to the long development cycle with cars!

Old 7 plus did not fit but new iPhone X slots in perfect. 

I used to to slot it in there just vertically so it would stick out but cubby wouldn’t close 

I have an iPhone 7 with a wireless charging case, and fits nicely where charging pad is on my G30, with plenty of space left over.

Also, I thought there was another USB port within the center console, so there should be no need to dangle wires across the gear lever......

@farzad - no extra USB in the centre bit, at least not on mine. Yes, I thought the 7 would probably fit, as the 7+ is just a bit too big.

@sjak92 - do you have a case on your X? I'd destroy any smartphone in minutes without a case! The contract's up for renewal in May, might get a new X then, so am interested in whether it will fit with a case on.

@Monkeyfinger - I've got nothing against Android and had some of the older ones, but the 7 edge I had was really fragile (broken screen twice from not very big impacts). Plus, I know that Apple, Google and Samsung are all just big amoral businesses, but Samsung does seem to have strayed a little bit too far into the "evil empire" territory for my liking!

So, interesting factoid for future G30/G31 owners: iPhone 7+ won't fit in the caddy, but most other things will...

Yup. My X has a case. X is no bigger than a standard 6/7/8 just has no edges - all screen(minus notch that is!)

I find it a little fiddly to get at the from cubby hole so I put my 8 in the centre console. I have a twin usb converter in the cigarette socket so leave a cable permanently.

I also find the sat nav to be a little quirky, so for long journeys and/or new territory I use my tomtom as well which I use the usb in the front cubby for. They rarely agree on arrival time, but Thomas does seem to be more accurate, and BMW very optimistic (usually says at least 20mins quicker, but never has been). It also has the advantage of showing me the speed limits.

Thanks all.

@G Whizz - that's a great idea that I'll copy immediately. I'm sure that I would have come up with it sooner or later!

Incidentally - I ordered the £45 option for extra USB points in the rear of the car (charging only). A suspiciously cheap option from BMW? Turns out that £45 option just simply gets you a 12V socket to twin USB adapter! I was expecting actual USB points, not a £7.99 adapter.

7 minutes ago, lol64 said:

@G Whizz

Incidentally - I ordered the £45 option for extra USB points in the rear of the car (charging only). A suspiciously cheap option from BMW? Turns out that £45 option just simply gets you a 12V socket to twin USB adapter! I was expecting actual USB points, not a £7.99 adapter.

Umm. I hate to break it to you...I think you may have payed £45 for the adapter. I didn't order, and I have a 12v socket...

On 1/10/2018 at 2:57 PM, lol64 said:

@farzad - no extra USB in the centre bit, at least not on  mine

9 hours ago, lol64 said:

The £45 option is for the addition 12v sockets - one in the boot and an extra one at the rear of the centre console. Everyone should be getting the free 12V socket to twin USB adapter, but you will have more 12v sockets to actually use it in.

The USB socket under the armrest (that can be used for music too) is part of another package - I can't remember which in particular but its one of the ones you get in the tech pack.

As for the phones, i don't remember where I saw it but there was a guide to which current gen phones fit in the charging tray that i saw when i was about to upgrade. The Galaxy S8+, Iphone + models and Note 8 are too big, but the non + models were all fine.

@mobilejo   - ah, I read (from the BMW builder web app):

"An additional 12V power socket including a USB adapter is integrated into the rear centre console and can be used to charge such equipment as mobile phones or external audio devices."

...as the included USB adapter would be integrated into the rear console. My bad. I guess people who don't go for that option don't have the rear 12V socket or the USB adapter supplied.

12 minutes ago, lol64 said:

@mobilejo   - ah, I read (from the BMW builder web app):

"An additional 12V power socket including a USB adapter is integrated into the rear centre console and can be used to charge such equipment as mobile phones or external audio devices."

...as the included USB adapter would be integrated into the rear console. My bad. I guess people who don't go for that option don't have the rear 12V socket or the USB adapter supplied.

When I ordered my car, that was how I read it too. The wording they use is terrible because it looks like they're saying the USB adapter is integrated! I think we can all see that the adapter is NOT integrated BMW!!

If you don't go for that option, you get one 12v socket in the rear centre console. You should have 2 like me. You should also have one in the boot. Thats what we paid £45 for lol.

Its seems that they are giving everyone the USB to 12v adapter thingy for free. As they should, BMW must be getting them for pennies!

Edited by mobilejo

On 1/11/2018 at 10:36 PM, mobilejo said:

The £45 option is for the addition 12v sockets - one in the boot and an extra one at the rear of the centre console. Everyone should be getting the free 12V socket to twin USB adapter, but you will have more 12v sockets to actually use it in.

I got those extra sockets but I didn't spec them, nor were charged for them. But then I didn't get the twin adapter but I'm glad it's this way round!