Sign in to follow this  
Maxwellphillips

Prospective buyer

Hi everyone, 

I'm not yet and owner, but I am considering an E34 525i as a project car. A friend at work is selling a rolling shell (no engine or gearbox) for £200. I've seen photos of the car, it's red, with pretty poor paint condition (rear quarter and spoiler are heavily faded), however I'm told the rest is in good condition, and drove well before the engine was pulled out due to excessive smoke. It has a cream cloth interior by the looks of it. Anything I should look out for when I see the car? 

I just wanted a bit of advice as to whether this would be a good project car? I have a small garage and minimal tools atm, but I plan on spending a couple of years fiddling and gathering tools I need. With the ultimate goal of sticking something like a manual coupled with a straight six out of an E46 328i, or an M62, and possibly going supercharged. 

Am I likely to bite off more than I can chew here, or is this something that is doable over a few years with a meagre budget? 

Cheers! 

Hi Maxwell.  Don’t want to put you off if you really fancy an E34,  but it sounds like a very expensive proposition.  If the engine is as worn as you suggest, you are looking at a minimum of £1000 to rebuild it. Add the same again for bodywork and paint, plus all sorts of ancillary bits and expenses.  A decent, running and roadworthy car would be a better bet and lot cheaper.  Perhaps I’m being pessimistic, but your description would put me off, unless it was a serious classic and had some real value.

Sounds like a great project. I'm on with a similar project, e34 Touring with an M3 engine, Sport spec inside and out etc. ;)

If you have plenty of time and enjoy a challenge then go for it. There's heaps of knowledge on here and plenty of enthusiasts that will help out.

C.

After thinking about it, I think an engine transplant as a first go at a project car might be a little too much to ask! After speaking to a few people, I'm thinking of just saving up a bit more and getting a car that runs, but needs work doing (mot failure or something similar). Still fancy a Beemer though, either a 3 or a 5, and preferably a touring! 

On 12/01/2018 at 8:06 AM, duncan-uk said:

Fair enough. Just watch for serious rust in the e34. 

I can sell you a nice 330d manual touring to cut your teeth on :)

Unless you're selling it for £200 and a packet of haribo, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford it yet :lol: