gine39530d

Turbo Blanket?

Never heard anyone mention that before. What’s it supposed to do?  Something like exhaust wrap?

Do not buy the cheap ones, they don't work!

Forge make decent quality ones. It's a Forge one on a turbo charged 325i we've done (GT3071R) and even after driving the car hard, you can still pop the bonnet and put your hand on top of the turbo no problem.

I would have thought it would only be worthwhile using it on cars with high power, EGT's etc to minise heat soak???

I doubt even a remapped 530d would warrant buying/putting one on?

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Do not buy the cheap ones, they don't work!

Forge make decent quality ones. It's a Forge one on a turbo charged 325i we've done (GT3071R) and even after driving the car hard, you can still pop the bonnet and put your hand on top of the turbo no problem.

Do you know what the insulating material is?

7 hours ago, gine39530d said:

i think tb worth it...300C less heat is always good for a car

To be able to put your hand on it it would need to be a lot lower (below 80 to touch, 60 - 70 to keep hand on), bearing in mind the exhaust temp could be 500+

At my place of work we wrapped an exposed exhaust pipe on a diesel locomotive and got temp. down from 560 to 70 using 10mm thick Aerogel material

3 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

But is baking the turbo in a thermal blanket that it wasn't designed to be wrapped in, any good for the turbo? :)  I would wager, probably not.

It wont get any hotter, just cool down slower, have less heat effect on surrounding components also.

Materials used in construction are designed to operate at those temps. Personally I believe the biggest stress is to start from cold and rag it up straight away, even with modern lubricants components will see more stress,  I would suggest to let your engine run up to temp. gradually before givin the welly. Then it is beneficial to put load on. Turbo chargers need to run with decent loading to help keep the turbine blades clean, regular low loadings can cause carbon build up and subsequently bearing damage due to imbalance of turbine rotor.

34 minutes ago, FIBAMAN said:

It wont get any hotter, just cool down slower, have less heat effect on surrounding components also.

Materials used in construction are designed to operate at those temps. Personally I believe the biggest stress is to start from cold and rag it up straight away, even with modern lubricants components will see more stress,  I would suggest to let your engine run up to temp. gradually before givin the welly. Then it is beneficial to put load on. Turbo chargers need to run with decent loading to help keep the turbine blades clean, regular low loadings can cause carbon build up and subsequently bearing damage due to imbalance of turbine rotor.

Love this technical justification of ragging it now and then lol.

18 hours ago, Marc_86 said:

Love this technical justification of ragging it now and then lol.

Engines are designed to give a certain performance and not using it is a waste (ha ha).

Engines used in industrial / marine applications are expected to deliver max output for most of the time. I recall one job where I had 4 x 1.5 megawatt V12 diesels running at max power 24/7 (turbocharger pipe and casing glowing red) without issues.

So - use your car (safely of course) to its capabilities and may the blue light not shine on you my son! Here endeth the lecture (lol)