Calypso-E34

F10 windscreen washers - Frozen??

OK, so it was down to -7° here last night. I have just been out in the car after defrosting it and running it for a bit, and I can’t get the screen washers working. I can hear the pump working, and the fluid in the reservoir isn’t frozen ( it’s good to -5 it says).

what could be wrong?

Sounds like, as you said, it's frozen or a thick slush at the bottom of the reservoir 

-5ºC washer fluid is next to useless IMO, more so where you are! Get at least -15ºC

F10's have the usual later model washer bottle, a big slim thing behind the wing. It will freeze solid without very serious screen wash. What I used to do is leave it half full, and first thing add a couple of litres of very hot water.

12 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

F10's have the usual later model washer bottle, a big slim thing behind the wing. It will freeze solid without very serious screen wash.

Jaysus - who signs off these things? 

As said, the reservoir may be fluid, that is protected from the worst of the cold, but the pipes and particularly where they exit the bonnet are open to the elements. I normally free mine off by pouring a kettle of hot (not boiling) water over them and leaving for a minute or two with the engine running.

TBH -5 anti-freeze is crap, it was -11 here (Central Scotland) last night and that was just ambient. Add in the wind-chill generated at say 40mph and you have -14 or lower!

I always use -20, it's not much more expensive and in severe weather a couple of cap-fulls of methylated spirits in the reservoir also helps.

Probably; but they don't heat the pipes where it generally freezes first

If not frozen the filter by the reservoir will be blocked with gunk - PIA job to sort out as the inner wing needs to come out! 

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Not really - the washer bottle is where it is to save room under the bonnet. Proper screenwash and it's fine.

They came back to life after a while.  I threw some isopropyl alcohol in for now, and I'll get some heavy duty screenwash soon.  I've only had to fill it once since July - it's been to the dealers a few times, and they seem to top it up every time.  It'll be back again next week to fix the exhaust flexi pipe which has gone tits up, and reattach the front parking sensor.  Due an oil change too, although I'd better ask for a quote for that I think.

1 minute ago, E39mad said:

If not frozen the filter by the reservoir will be blocked with gunk - PIA job to sort out as the inner wing needs to come out! 

Are you actually joking Rupert??

Genuine BMW screenwash from my local dealer is £18 for 5 litres and neat is good for minus 63!

Minus 9.5 where I was today but didn't need the skooshers.

5 minutes ago, e60neindanke said:

I only use BMW's screenwash - had trouble with 3rd party stuff (blockages, smell) so thought "sod the expense" and no trouble since.

3 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Genuine BMW screenwash from my local dealer is £18 for 5 litres and neat is good for minus 63!

Minus 9.5 where I was today but didn't need the skooshers.

Come to think of it, I've got some of that somewhere.

4 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

They came back to life after a while.  I threw some isopropyl alcohol in for now, and I'll get some heavy duty screenwash soon.  I've only had to fill it once since July - it's been to the dealers a few times, and they seem to top it up every time.  It'll be back again next week to fix the exhaust flexi pipe which has gone tits up, and reattach the front parking sensor.  Due an oil change too, although I'd better ask for a quote for that I think.

Are you actually joking Rupert??

Nope - see the post here from last year:

9 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Nope - see the post here from last year:

Sweet baby Jesus. Another example of something that just wouldn’t happen in a Volvo. 

Given where you live, Inverness, I would have some serious  branded screen wash, not Tesco's in the system from October onwards, you need down to minus 15° as a minimum. A school boy error.

19 minutes ago, vanhool said:

Given where you live, Inverness, I would have some serious  branded screen wash, not Tesco's in the system from October onwards, you need down to minus 15° as a minimum. A school boy error.

Harsh!  I've been living in the North of Scotland since 1988.  When we were in Aviemore we used to get winter temperatures down as low as -22, but since I moved to where I am near Inverness, the -5 screenwash has always been fine.  It was fine in my Wife's Kuga, my Daughter's Citroen C1, and even my old E34, but for some reason it froze in the F10.

Actually, why does this even surprise me?

48 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Harsh!  I've been living in the North of Scotland since 1988.  When we were in Aviemore we used to get winter temperatures down as low as -22, but since I moved to where I am near Inverness, the -5 screenwash has always been fine.  It was fine in my Wife's Kuga, my Daughter's Citroen C1, and even my old E34, but for some reason it froze in the F10.

Actually, why does this even surprise me?

I didn't  intend to sound harsh, so apologies, merely emphasizing, perhaps too forcefully, the hassle of not putting a strong enough screen wash in leading to frozen washer piping. The e39 has the washer bottle inside the O/S wheel arch, so will be quite cold even on a normal day.

2 minutes ago, vanhool said:

I didn't  intend to sound harsh, so apologies, merely emphasizing, perhaps too forcefully, the hassle of not putting a strong enough screen wash in leading to frozen washer piping. The e39 has the washer bottle inside the O/S wheel arch, so will be quite cold even on a normal day.

:lol::lol: No need - I'm thick skinned!  Curiously, I had my E39 for 3 odd years, and frozen washers was one of the few problems I didn't have with it!  Milder winters maybe.

The E39 washers were a problem as the plastic pipes froze near the nozzle and would become detached thus spraying the sound deadening.

Never has the F11's freeze on me yet.

On 08/01/2018 at 3:30 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

Come to think of it, I've got some of that somewhere.

Put some in - you know it makes sense. I think I had the freezing problem on one of the BM's and it was purely down to using cheap screenwash.