nhasan

Car rust repair above back bumper

Hello All,

I'm in need of your assistance. There is a rust patch on the back of my car above the bumper and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place in the Leeds/Bradford area that could repair it, so it looks as good as new. I have attached a couple of pictures. Please advise.

Thanks

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

That looks exactly like mine did, which was holed once I'd cleared all the rust away. 

Ideally you'd replace it with fresh metal to guarantee a long lasting repair, though that said ive filled and painted mine so it looks presentable for now until if and when I drop my repair panel in. 

It it depends really on how long you plan to keep the car and how perfect you'd like it to be as to how it's repaired. 

Mine was similar; thankfully no holes, just mainly surface rust

A good bodyshop will have that sorted in no time and for around £150 I'd say, but give the car a good once over as I doubt that'll be the only area that needs attending!

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the response. I would like the repair to be done properly as I intend to keep the car for a long time.

I've had the car for nearly 14 years and it has served me well. I have been to one body shop and they said it needed welding and I wasn't convinced to what they were saying. If you know of any good reputable body shops in the Leeds/Bradford area that know what they're doing, please send me the details.

Thanks

They'll only know if it needs new metal once they've removed the rust, it could be either way though, so I wouldn't discount their initial prognosis 

Hello d_a_n1979

Could you explain briefly as to what the bodyshop will do? I'm not sure what you mean when you say it needs new metal.

Will they melt some new metal into the rust hole?

Thanks

The rear bumper will come off and then they'll start to sand down that area

If there are no holes then they'll fill it, sand it back, prime then paint/lacquer etc

If there are holes and they don't deem it's ok to fill; they'll cut out the bad metal and weld in new metal and then do the above etc

Hello d_a_n1979,

I see what you mean. I suppose if new metal is needed then it requires welding.

It makes sense now. Do you know of any good body shops in the Leeds/Bradford area?

Thanks

Sorry pal, wrong side of the Pennines for me ;)

If your on FB then ask on the E39 pages on there, if not, just search on Google and look for reviews etc

Edited by d_a_n1979

Looking at your pictures nhasan, I would say for certain that a two to three inch section needs cutting out and new metal welding in. Done properly, the repair will outlive the car.  I would expect any decent body shop to do a good  invisible repair.

Hello syncrofred,

Thank you for the explanation as to what needs to be done. I have a good idea now as to what to expect.