lol64

Which music streaming service?

Just getting to grips with the infotainment in the new car. I've signed up for the ConnectedDrive and so that's loaded a few apps.

Does anyone have a view on what the best music streaming app is? At home we use Napster (yes, I know, how very retro), but am happy to switch to another service that's compatible with the car. 

The "compatible" options that I've seen so far are the BMW one at £160 per year and Spotify. I guess that the BMW one is really Deezer or Spotify with a BMW logo attached and as far as I can see, I can only then use it when I'm in the car (can't stream music to Sonos boxes etc). Spotify Premium for family seems reasonable at £180 as I can use it anywhere and also give my daughter who's away at Uni her own login.

What's everyone else using?

+1 for Spotify - it seems to offer the best choice of all the apps for me.

I’ve got a free subscription for Apple Music for 6 months via EE, but don’t think it’s as good at all. Not tried Amazon music yet...I’m sure that will get bigger and bigger, given the capital Amazon have behind them to invest for rights etc!

I should add, I’ve not tried it on the car yet as it hasn’t arrived, but as a service / ease of use etc I highly rate Spotify.

Edited by Back2Beemer

Another +1 for Spotify (I have the Family Edition). Outside of the BMW ecosystem, it 'just works', which for me trumps some of the other services which may offer higher music quality (not that I can really tell the difference). In the car, the system is a bit buggy, but does work well enough for me to recommend it (some of the menus are not quite right and the track timer is sporadic, but the menus work, it's never crashed and the music comes through fine). I run a Samsung S8, but I've heard that it works well on iOS too. 

Since my last post, I've also tried Spotify offline. No issues as far as I can tell.

The BMW 'in-built' system is Deezer or Napster (you can choose which you want to use your 1 year free subscription on) and it is not re-skinned, i.e. I use Deezer and it has the Deezer branding all over it.

With your free subscription, you get a full standard package, so you can listen on the phone app or on PC or any other device that supports the app. Using it in the car give you access to your own playlists created on the app, as you would expect - it is not a 'separate' car account.

I only used it because the subscription was free with the car, and spotify via my Andrid phone is buggy so I cancelled Spotify. If BMW had spotify integrated into the car the same way Deezer/Napster is it would be perfect. Admittedly, I haven't found anything I wanted missing from Deezer so I can't complain about it. I will probably even continue using it when the free year is up.

Edited by mobilejo

mobilejo I don't have a free subscription, it costs £160 for a year. Possibly part of a package that you selected?

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going with Spotify as the app is pre-loaded on the car, what could possibly go wrong.

Oh, and also the 12 year old saying: "Dad, Dad, Spotify, please please pleeeeaase" over and over again, might have something to do with it.

7 minutes ago, lol64 said:

mobilejo I don't have a free subscription, it costs £160 for a year. Possibly part of a package that you selected?

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going with Spotify as the app is pre-loaded on the car, what could possibly go wrong.

Oh, and also the 12 year old saying: "Dad, Dad, Spotify, please please pleeeeaase" over and over again, might have something to do with it.

You're right, it was one of the options i chose. Online entertainment i think. I didn't know what it was but it sounded like something I'd want so i just ticked it :D

So, I've switched to Spotify Family (same as Premium) and the iphone syncs fine with the app in the car. It all works well, however I have one niggle. Once I've started Spotify via the car, it "takes over". So I can't go back to my iPhone through the bluetooth and play any of my albums for instance. My guess is that to "fix" this, I'd have to close the Spotify app on the iphone, which I can't do while driving.

Anyone else get this? Any solutions found?

If its integrated properly cant you just go to Albums in the  idrive spotify app and choose from there? 

Are you plugged in via usb or just Bluetooth streaming? 

Edited by SuperDave

@SuperDave thanks for the suggestion, but no, it doesn't let you access your Albums, Podcasts or anything else. It just "takes over" and you have to use whatever you can access with Spotify, i.e. Spotify downloaded content on your phone. Also, with my car (I presume this is the same with all G3x), once you've selected music service from either Bluetooth or USB, that's it, you can't chop & change without reconfiguring.

Incidentally, I'm finding that the Spotify app is very buggy. As well as the whole stopping any other iPhone access thing, it's occasionally dropping out altogether (i.e. the app disappears from iDrive and then reappears) and it also randomly "losing" content and "finding" it again shortly after.

7 hours ago, lol64 said:

@SuperDave thanks for the suggestion, but no, it doesn't let you access your Albums, Podcasts or anything else. It just "takes over" and you have to use whatever you can access with Spotify, i.e. Spotify downloaded content on your phone. Also, with my car (I presume this is the same with all G3x), once you've selected music service from either Bluetooth or USB, that's it, you can't chop & change without reconfiguring.

Incidentally, I'm finding that the Spotify app is very buggy. As well as the whole stopping any other iPhone access thing, it's occasionally dropping out altogether (i.e. the app disappears from iDrive and then reappears) and it also randomly "losing" content and "finding" it again shortly after.

Just to be clear, do you mean that once you start Spotify, your phone is 'locked' into Spotify and you can't then access the music that's saved on your phone outside of spotify?

55 minutes ago, Hudds.taz said:

Must be something you’re doing as I can play Spotify and access my phone as normal

Are you just straight streaming Spotify via Bluetooth to the car, or using the BMW Spotify app on idrive?

@mobilejo  @Hudds.taz   thanks both, especially the video. I think where I've probably gone wrong is my car came with a Spotify app "pre-loaded" so I didn't go through the connection assistant (I didn't know I needed to use that). So, not 100% sure how to fix the problem, but will try running the connection assistant tomorrow and see if that helps.

I couldn't find connection assistant for mine, but not sure if that's because I was justing bluetooth rather than USB. Spotify on android works as it should though I think, it's just not as slick as the inbuilt connected music.

Yes, you will need to connect with USB and i imagine fire up the Connected Drive app before launching Spotify, at which point it should appear as an available app with the right level of functionality. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. 

36 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

It seemed to have all the functionality (playlists etc) that was on the youtube video, but not as slick as the deezer app already on the idrive.

That's why I settled with Deezer. Now I've got my playlists on there I'm actually quite impressed with the seemlessness it.

Therere are services online that let you import Spotify playlists into Deezer. I also like that if you hear a song on the car radio you like, the car has a little feature that lets you add that song to Deezer favourites or go to the album/artist page on the Deezer app in the car.

Now if there was a way to get the car to use the data from my phone, rather from the inbuilt sim, then I'd stick with that system, but as far as I know you have to subscribe to the BMW online music and that's seems a bit pricey when my other data is effectively free.

6 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

Now if there was a way to get the car to use the data from my phone, rather from the inbuilt sim, then I'd stick with that system, but as far as I know you have to subscribe to the BMW online music and that's seems a bit pricey when my other data is effectively free.

I know what you mean. I have my first year free because I bought the online music option with the car, but not sure what I will do after that.

I will find it hard to go back to the old music on a USB route, so I will either need to take out a spotify subscription (cheaper if I joined a family subscription with friends, but buggy) or renew BMW online music to keep Deezer (more expensive but includes the data & slicker). Decisions, decisions...  

1 hour ago, hybridisthefuture said:

How do you access the free Deezer subscription? I’ve signed up but it’s not a premium account? Do I have to do it with BMW online services?

Yes, use the online entertainment menu in the car and it will ask you to choose Deezer or Napster. Pick your preference and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Its free if you have the 'Online Entertainment' voucher (it was £160 as an option when building the car, but some people found they got it free) on your connected drive account.