Killen

DPF removed and new MOT checks May 2018

I have a 2006 e60 535d which was bought chipped to 384 bhp with DPF and EGR deleted.

the car sails through MOTs and is a joy to drive. Best I think I've ever owned.

I have seen in the press etc that there is a proposal to introduce a tougher MOT to check there is a DPF fitted. At present only requires a visual check and passing of a smoke test.

My MOT is due in June. Does this mean I will have to find a DPF which has not been altered and also get the software re the DPF returned to acknowledge a DPF is fitted.

I think I won't be alone here and wonder what other people think needs to be done.

I've heard rumour they will plug into the OBD and get live reads, but quite how feasible that is, given the many different vehicles out there I don't know.

One day they might get around to checking, actual enforcement an prosecution might be another story. Wait n see...

Let me guess, the news article will originated from garagewire? Every year they do this. 

I wonder if they have a vested interest in dpf cleaning or products related to it??????

Yes Garagewire seem to be pushing this story. Just hope it never happens. Don't fancy having to buy a complete DPF and recode the system to cope with this.

What I wondered was; could you get away with just fitting it for the NOT and removing afterwards. In other words leave software alone.

not sure how difficult it would be to keep replacing and removing the dpf.

Hadn't seen this bloke before, seems pretty factual yet interesting (in a slightly non PC way):