Jump to content
Loadmaster

Diesel Engines / Short Journeys - Recipe for Problems?

Recommended Posts

I'm referring to modern diesel engines here, the sort you'd find in a two year old 3 or 5 Series for example.

 

I've never owned a diesel car, but in the 'old days' persistent short journeys in one could/would cause a problem for the DPF, with management lights coming on and meaning a trip to the garage. That would be unless you went for a blast every so often to clear all the crap out!

 

Posing this question due to the lack of petrol engines in modern 3ers and 5ers...

 

So, best to avoid the DERV?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd avoid if it's only an occasional or short journey car. Speak with a few local garages/independents and they will tell you that a good proportion of their business is DPF and re-gen related on diesels.

 

As an example, Diesel sales fell by over 20% in the last quarter of 2017. A sign of the times that things are changing... ;)

 

C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cableguy said:

As an example, Diesel sales fell by over 20% in the last quarter of 2017. A sign of the times that things are changing... ;)

 

and yet other emissions are up from petrol i heard on the today programme so its swings and roundabouts. I don;t think any ICE owner can be smug :(

 

But i would avoid short journeys too - i try and walk when i can, across my town its often quicker to walk anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cableguy said:

I'd avoid if it's only an occasional or short journey car. Speak with a few local garages/independents and they will tell you that a good proportion of their business is DPF and re-gen related on diesels.

 

As an example, Diesel sales fell by over 20% in the last quarter of 2017. A sign of the times that things are changing... ;)

 

C.

Yep, it would be unfortunately. Lack of petrol 6 pots in current BMW line up prompts my post. Also, the future of the diesel car is a concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My journeys are often no longer than 20-25 mins and I haven't experienced any DPF issues from this. However I do tend to give it a good motorway blast every few hundred miles or so to try and encourage a DPF regen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, cableguy said:

As an example, Diesel sales fell by over 20% in the last quarter of 2017. A sign of the times that things are changing... ;)

 

C.

Actually sales of all cars fell by 5% last quarter. The drop in diesel car sales can be attributed in part to comments made by a number of ill-informed (or well informed but with their own agenda) politicians 'demonising' and vilifying diesel cars by claiming particulate pollution was more serious than greenhouse gas emissions.

 

Recent tests have shown that the new generation diesels are actually cleaner than the equivalent output petrol cars and the old issues of DPF 'clogging' is not the issue it once was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, If you buy a 2 year old Diesel and do short trips in it, it probably won't give you any grief (other than the usual BMW issues) until it's 5 or 6 years old. Then Punt it and buy another one so it's someone else's problem.

 

The 6 pot Diesels are nice enough engines and in twin turbo from, spectacular.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good counter arguments listed above and I have personally just sold a Turbo Diesel after four and a half years ownership, however there is no substitute for the refinement of a petrol in comparison.

 

I think any motoring expert or motoring journalist would recommend petrol over diesel for short journeys.

 

C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to buy diesel when I received car allowance, the majority of journeys during the week, no more than 5 miles each, except for business trips. Tried to circumvent any potential issues by sticking to shell v power fuel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do 95% long trips so don't mind the devil's juice but wouldn't consider one if I did many short journeys.

 

My Dad has an XF Sportbrake 3.0D and doesn't do many long trips. Recently it threw up the red DPF warning which means game over, go to stealer and spend £1800. WTF? Anyway, his trusted local garage was able to clean the DPF for under a tenth of that.... He'll get petrol for his next car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloke at work paid £2300 for a new DPF in his XJ Jag. He did short trips in it.

 

He then sold it and bought another Jag, but this time he listened and bought a 5.0V8 XK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£2300 for a new DPF? FFS!

 

My wife drives like Miss Daisy and has had the EML come up on a couple of occasions, I simply take her Nissan Juke for a quick, high-rev burn and the light goes out and stays out for another 6 months.

 

I do the same thing with my diesels before an MOT and have never had a failure or even advisory on particulate emissions, but I suppose it's horses for courses..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Retset said:

What a sensible chap :)

 

My thoughts exactly but because he is a big girls blouse and there has been a bit of snow and ice around Glasgow recently, he has not taken it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

£2300 for a new DPF? FFS!

 

My wife drives like Miss Daisy and has had the EML come up on a couple of occasions, I simply take her Nissan Juke for a quick, high-rev burn and the light goes out and stays out for another 6 months.

 

On the Jag, you get an orange warning first which means go and drive for a bit to regen the DPF. If you didn't see it, ignore it or whatever, it goes red. This is supposedly only sortable for about £2K at a dealer who replaces the DPF. Absolutely criminal! I think it cost about £150 at a reputable local garage to pop it out and clean it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I'm not going down the diesel route 

 

Sensible man, you know it makes sense! :D

 

Good luck finding, and I'm assuming, a petrol BMW, rather than something that has a soulless electric motor in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

Sensible man, you know it makes sense! :D

 

Good luck finding, and I'm assuming, a petrol BMW, rather than something that has a soulless electric motor in it.

And there lies the problem - no 6 pot petrols in current BMW 3 or 5 Series line up. I think I need to go back to 2012/2013 for those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Loadmaster said:

And there lies the problem - no 6 pot petrols in current BMW 3 or 5 Series line up. I think I need to go back to 2012/2013 for those.

 

 

I'll sell you a 535i MSport with 44k on the clock FBMWSH, 21 days left of service inclusive, it's in for an MOT on Friday. Split folding rear seats, grey leather, 3AC towbar, sport flappy paddles and a set of 17" 327 winters.

 

Yours for £25k!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

My thoughts exactly but because he is a big girls blouse and there has been a bit of snow and ice around Glasgow recently, he has not taken it out!

 

Can't say I blame him,  I'm always very wary of driving in such conditions,  not because of any deficiency in my own capabilities but because there's a much greater chance of someone else clattering out of control into me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

 

I'll sell you a 535i MSport with 44k on the clock FBMWSH, 21 days left of service inclusive, it's in for an MOT on Friday. Split folding rear seats, grey leather, 3AC towbar, sport flappy paddles and a set of 17" 327 winters.

 

Yours for £25k!:D

Good to know that such beasts exist, although Surrey to Renfrewshire is a little far for a viewing!

 

What year is yours? Is it a 6 cylinder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

What year is yours? Is it a 6 cylinder?

 

January 2013 made, but obviously to 2012 spec.

 

It's a six pot with a single turbo, giving 306bhp and 400Nm of twist. A bit less than my E60 it replaced but it's more nimble than the E60 so it makes up for the lack of grunt. 

 

25 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Good to know that such beasts exist, although Surrey to Renfrewshire is a little far for a viewing!

 

Glad it's the distance that's put you off and not the price!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

January 2013 made, but obviously to 2012 spec.

 

It's a six pot with a single turbo, giving 306bhp and 400Nm of twist. A bit less than my E60 it replaced but it's more nimble than the E60 so it makes up for the lack of grunt. 

 

 

Glad it's the distance that's put you off and not the price!:P

So, is your engine in an F10 relatively rare? Not many come up in an Autotrader search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×