Drew21

mk4 nav rebuild - recomendations please

Hi,

I have a mk4 nav which is giving a constant "please wait" message on the screen. The disc, which is not an original BMW nav DVD (I assume it is a burnt copy), will not eject no matter how long I press the button. The disc spins constantly, except for a very brief pause every 2 mins or so after which it immediately spins back up again.

I've had the lid off the unit and have tried to get the disc out using moderate "persuasion", but no joy and I fear more direct force will only damage the unit.

I'm not keen on DIY for this repair and am looking for a recommendation in the UK (cheap and reliable please) for someone to take my mk4 nav and fix it, and supply an original BMW DVD (not brand new, an old set of maps is fine).

Also, what are good mk4 nav software mods?

Hi Drew,

I know it’s not in the uk, but Siemens VDO in Germany did a damn good job at repairing mine when the memory corrupted.

Have you taken a look at the diy? It’s not as intimidating as you might think, and it will certainly save you money. I think it took me 15 minutes when I changed the dvd drive in mine.

as for software mods, there are several around. There are complaints of the computer behaving strangely with some of them though, particularly the ones where it has speed camera warnings.

hope this helps,

Simon

16 minutes ago, velvetmonkey said:

I know it’s not in the uk, but Siemens VDO in Germany did a damn good job at repairing mine when the memory corrupted.

Can you give some more info how you handled the repair with VDO Siemens and how much did it cost? I've used this shop with good results. CLICK

Edited by Clavurion

1 hour ago, velvetmonkey said:

Have you taken a look at the diy? It’s not as intimidating as you might think, and it will certainly save you money. I think it took me 15 minutes when I changed the dvd drive in mine.

thanks for that

did you replace the whole DVD unit, or replace the laser unit within the DVD unit?

as regards software mods, I had heard that some caused issues, which is why I was wanting to go back to original BMW software. However if there are some useful mods that are "safe" then I'd be up for those. But I'm just not clued up on what the options are

Baris at Carphonics does all kinds of repairs to the BMW nav units as well as the BM54 unit, I think he’s based in Enfield, North London. He upgraded the amp in my BM54 and has a  good reputation.

Hi all, I still haven't got this fixed, but having read a couple of DIYs I plan to buy a laser unit and get wizzy with my soldering iron, it doesn't sound too tricky and even if I wreck the unit the cost a replacement is not much more than the refurb cost.

question is, which laser unit? I think the one I want is a SF-HD4 but there are options here, black or white cap, 's' or 'b' versions.

for mk4 navs with DVD M5 or DVD M3 4.6 (I have no idea what that even means but I assume it's not E39 M5 or E46 M3 however!)

price seems to vary between ~£10 (eBay Chinese generic) and £100

any help here is very welcome!

cheers

7 minutes ago, BarryM said:

I think I bought an OEM laser from Cotswold for around £100 and no soldering iron required. I’ll see if I can find the details.

When was this? Are you talking about just the laser or DVD drive?

I don't any way of changing just the laser without a soldering iron, as there's a big metal panel which is soldered down, and this needs to come off to get at the laser and its connections.

would this do it? Might be unbranded rubbish, not sure

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ORIGINAL-SF-HD4-CD-DVD-Lens-Optical-Pickups-Laser-1pc/282314481575?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

18 minutes ago, BarryM said:

I think I bought an OEM laser from Cotswold for around £100 and no soldering iron required. I’ll see if I can find the details.

Cool thanks Barry, if you've got details for the OEM part that would be great. I'd rather spend 100 on a virtually certain repair than 14 on a maybe....

Will be speaking to Cotswolds tomorrow about a door seal anyway. 

Cotswolds just quoted me £156 for that part number, but then told me that it was for a later generation car: E60 , etc.

Can I just check, before I order it, that this DVD laser unit is backwards compatible. My current laser unit is an "M3.5" unit. No worries at all if it's not clear, this whole thing is as clear as mud to me!!

I think a later version of mk4 nav was fitted to E60 cars, not sure

I think it's compatible, though the part number has one digit difference. (Nr.2) E6x does not have same kind of nav unit as it's in the center console. My 2006 E53 still has the same Mk.4 as E39 and that same drive is found on the parts diagram. CLICK

But you have to remember that the drive alone doesn't cure all the problems with Mk.4 unit. Another culprit is memory chip on the main board causing system crashing especially related to temperature.

Edited by Clavurion

Thread Resurrection!

the new laser pick up I ordered arrived today on the slow boat from China, I fitted it and I still have exactly the same symptoms

:(

the original mk2 nav unit is working fine in the car on standby duty though

im guessing I really need to shell out on a new mk4 nav.... or just not bother and stick with the mk2 for now. I really need to get an intravee fitted, so I might park the nav and focus on how to fit an intravee into a 98 E38 with DSP, this needs some thought also you see