Pepi1677

Re Mapping G31/G32

4 minutes ago, Pepi1677 said:

I came across these people who appear to offer a remapping service has any one used them or is there someone out there that is better?

https://www.racechip.co.uk

TIA.

Ask mr mashed potatoes I'm sure they have just got the software to do the G series? 

He's on here BTW....

38 minutes ago, Pepi1677 said:

I came across these people who appear to offer a remapping service has any one used them or is there someone out there that is better?

https://www.racechip.co.uk

TIA.

I read the site a chip tuning co, personally I'd map every time.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong) all you are doing with a tuning box is fooling the rail into pumping more fuel without taking other critical parameters into account.

39 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I read the site a chip tuning co, personally I'd map every time.

As I understand it (and I may be wrong) all you are doing with a tuning box is fooling the rail into pumping more fuel without taking other critical parameters into account.

This is true but under warranty rules, that's still not allowed because in their opinion, you're making the car operate in a scenario they haven't covered and so will be liable for damage.

I would love the extra performance but could do without the headache if it d

goes wrong.

I prefer a remap every time but if I was going to mess with a car under warranty, I would take the tuning box option. Yes the dealer can still see the car has exceeded parameters (if they looked) but at least the actual tuning box is removed and out of sight and if they are not digging into the logs, then they will be looking at nothing but a stock car.

On top of that, these cars are so hard to map these days that tuners are either not offering any remaps, or are having to take out the ECU and do it on the bench. Its getting less and less attractive.

Racechip, JB4, Dinan and a few others actually make decent units - they do more than just hijack the fuel rail signal. They usually connect to 3 or more key sensors in the engine bay. The American's love them - they have huge threads with dyno runs and all sorts on the other forums, for a range of different cars and engines including diesels.

I have driven a 540i xdrive with a Racechip on the middle setting and it was noticeable faster and more aggressive than my standard 540i xdrive. It was actually impressively noticeable but still smooth.

However, I'm just not ready to risk my warranty right now, no matter how small the chance of a problem occurring and the manufacturer looking for signs of modifications. Risk v reward not stacking up for me with that one at this time.

I will be adding the MPPSK but the increase isn't nearly as much, however after that I might add a tuning box when I am further into ownership of the car. The numbers achievable are ridiculous.

DTUK make some really good quality tuning boxes also - I ran one on my last car (Octavia) and the results were very good, and felt as good as any remap I'd had on previous cars.

Tuning box technology has come a long way in recent years, the one I used was 3 channel system, controlling boost, fuel and cam position input. 

Waiting on my 520d to get here (Mid Feb) and I will most likely be going down the same route.

8 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I thought they just interrupt the fuel line?...

gts-delivery-scope_en.png

I'm not sure what car that one is for, or which model of Racechip it is (they have various versions with different max. power outputs)

Below is a page from the manual for highest model for the 540i/440i/340i/M240i, those 3 points (A,B,C) where the different plugs go to.

Sensor A: Turbo pressure sensor
Sensor B: Intake air pressure
Sensor C: Camshaft sensor

The JB4 has even more than this, and one of their models even goes into the OBD in addition.

rc.jpg

Edited by mobilejo

Personally I'd pay proper money and get a setup from AC Schnitzer who provide a full warranty:

http://shop.rossiters.co.uk/performance-upgrades-569-c.asp

Most of the other 'tuning firms' will not provide any warranty and will tell you 'it'll be ok mate, they won't find it' but won't be paying for your engine rebuild in the unlikely worst case event - which does happen.

6 minutes ago, GAR said:

Personally I'd pay proper money and get a setup from AC Schnitzer who provide a full warranty:

http://shop.rossiters.co.uk/performance-upgrades-569-c.asp

Most of the other 'tuning firms' will not provide any warranty and will tell you 'it'll be ok mate, they won't find it' but won't be paying for your engine rebuild in the unlikely worst case event - which does happen.

Its just another tuning box though. And since dealers no longer install AC Schnitzer parts, the warranty with AC products is only via AC Schnitzer themselves. So you can still end up stuck between the dealer blaming the 'aftermarket' part, and AC schnitzer saying "it wasn't our product at fault". Racechip & Dinan (and possibly Burger Tuning) provide a warranty in the case of engine damage but the issue has always been whether these companies will take responsibility for the defect if the worst happens. It won't be any different with ACS. 

When I looked at the ACS tuning box before, I almost felt like ACS might be the worse of all options: I figured, If you want to spend £3k, there's the MPPSK with full BMW warranty and an actual exhaust and TC (torque converter) included, but lower max power figures. If you just want 400bhp from a tuning box with no TC and no exhaust, you can get that for £600. Why pay 5x as much for the privilege when I don't actually trust any of these warranties will be 100% bullet proof?

Also, the gearbox in the 540 is rated to 500NM, all of these tuners are exceeding this figure. Should people be worried? I don't know the answer to that but at least the MPPSK comes with an upgraded TC with full car warranty in tact.

As above, these are all still tuning boxes fooling the ECU to raise boost and fuel pressure.

Whilst the engines that were carried over from the F series cars have already got maps developed, the engine ECUs have been changed to the new Bosch MG1 and MD1 models. The encryption hasn't been cracked by anyone yet. It'll be in the pipeline, but not for a while. Tuning boxes for diesels and piggybacks (JB4 for example as above) are the only options for petrols at the moment.

Nomenclature:
eg.:
MG1CS003
MD1CP002
MD1CS001

MD.....Motronic Diesel
MG.....Motronic Gasoline

1........Generation (1,2,3,4 etc)
C........Commonrail (Gasoline and Diesel)
S........Solenoid Injector
P........Piezo Injector
xxx....consecutive Numbering

And a little comment about the Race Chip boxes. I've seen one of those on a 15 plate Golf R go on a rolling road. It picked up about 20BHP but was claimed to get 60BHP. A proper remap nets about 70BHP on a stage 1, and will do 100BHP on a stage 2 quite easily. Needless to say for the price, it far from impressed me.

Tuning boxes can also be discovered by the engine ECUs and raise a flag automatically when the car is connected to dealer diagnostics, even if it's removed before going in. The ECU will be aware things are going on outside of its control. There is a LOT of maths going on in there and whilst the tuning CAN be hidden to dealer diagnostics in some cases (whilst there's brains at Bosch, Siemens etc and the vehicle manufacturers making the tuning harder and harder to do, there's equally big brains in the tuning and tuning tool scene working hard for things like undetectable tuning, tuning protection removal etc and bypass .) I always give a customer with a new car a form to fill in saying we will do everything in our power to make sure the tuning cannot be found, however you MUST accept that your warranty may be void if the tuning is discovered by a dealer. And unless that document is signed and dated, we won't begin any work on the car.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

I just read online that it’s now possible to tune new BMW’s via OBD? No need to remove ECU means less likelihood of damaging it and far easier to reverse no?

38 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

I just read online that it’s now possible to tune new BMW’s via OBD? No need to remove ECU means less likelihood of damaging it and far easier to reverse no?

Mr mashed potatoes will be the geezer best to comment on your online findings.....

oh and Mr smash no probs..... 

;) 

39 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

Which models was it referring to? Older cars are no problem to remap via OBD but it's the new ones like G series that are the problem.

That information is partially correct.

F shape cars can now be done OBD, G shape cannot yet still. MD1 and MG1 are going to be incredibly difficult to crack. I've just checked with a couple of tool manufacturers and they've all said no to MD1 and MG1 support on BMW currently.

F shape ECUs:

• BMW Bosch EDC17C41 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*, ISN reading at ident added
  • BMW Bosch EDC17CP45 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*, ISN reading at ident added
  • BMW Bosch EDC17C50 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*, ISN reading at ident added
  • BMW Bosch EDC17C56 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*, ISN reading at ident added
  • BMW Bosch EDC17C76 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*, ISN reading at ident added
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.3 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.4 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.5 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.6 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.26 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.8 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.9 OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.G OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.H OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.K OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*
  • BMW Bosch MEVD17.2.P OBD ENET: restore ORI & flash counter lock function added*

Edited by Mashed Potatoes