Sign in to follow this  
pow

Good quality/wallet friendly control arms

HI all,

My 528i is showing signs of control bush/ball joint wear and generally feels a bit sloppy on the front end. I am thinking that I should do a bit of a suspension refresh on the front, it needs some alignment as it doesn't point in a straight line any more, it has a tenancy to wander slightly and under heavy braking the steering wheel can wobble from 70-40mph. 

Where would you buy decent quality control arms without spending the earth (ie the value of the car!) - there's kits on eBay ranging from £90 upwards, GSF with a 50% code are coming out around the £180 mark, Euros offering lemforders for more than i paid for the car, don't really know where to start!

Also- replacing them - can I do this as a home mechanic and then take it for proper alignment straight away? I've done plenty of spring/shock/lower arms/tie rods/ends/ARB bushes in my time...

This and a fresh set of tyres should see me happy with the car for some time to come :)

TIA

I use BMWmotormec for all suspension items (well, most of the items I buy for my 530i); they're either Lemforder or Meyle and TBH, I wouldn't go cheaper as these things generally come back to haunt you if you skimp costs!

Get the part number via RealOEM and then search on eBay using 'BMW - part number'

Unfortunately decent quality and cheap do not go together, as with most things in life you get what you pay for

Definitely avoid cheap ebay kits, they're rubbish and within 6 months they might well have worn out.

Anything Lemforder / Meyle / TRW should be fine, 

My advice - learnt the hard way :-)

Think it's GSF's own brand

I'd avoid

I bought a front lower arm from GSF (their cheapest part, cant remember if it was Vtech or not) Within a year the bush had worn out

If you're keeping the car for any more than a few months I really cant emphasize enough that you'll be better off with branded parts (Vtech is not a brand)

1 hour ago, pow said:

Any experience of VTech?

Stick with Meyle; you'll not go wrong!

Don't skimp prices on stuff like this; it'll cock up and you'll have to play and replace again!

Not sure what year your 528i is; but here's the front suspension info from RealOEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DM62-EUR-10-1999-E39-BMW-528i&diagId=31_0617

I'd guessed at a 1999 car

Parts 4 and 11 are what I assume you're talking about

Part no.11 - lower control arm, Meyle via BMWmotormec: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-520i-530i-E39-FRONT-LOWER-TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-Set-MEYLE-31122341219-296/372087120781?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=645168166&hash=item56a21ee38d:g:eHIAAOSwfVpYoweE

Part no.4 - front tension strut, Meyle via BMWmotormec: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-Series-Front-Tension-Struts-Control-Arms-pair-MEYLE-HD-31121141717-8/391948833537?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item5b41f89301:g:-toAAOSw~hBZ3qn3

Doable on your drive with a good tool set, axle stands and patience ;)  I'd recommend tracking and alignment afterwards too as you may find that they correct any errors present on the alignment currently

10 minutes ago, pt530i said:

Think it's GSF's own brand

I'd avoid

I bought a front lower arm from GSF (their cheapest part, cant remember if it was Vtech or not) Within a year the bush had worn out

If you're keeping the car for any more than a few months I really cant emphasize enough that you'll be better off with branded parts (Vtech is not a brand)

Thought Vtech were kids toy makers :lol: 

55 minutes ago, pow said:

Sodding thing, going to cost me 3 times the value of the car to do suspension arms and a set of tyres!

Big BMWs; they're always going to cost. It's not like it was a cheap budget car when it was released!

You can't run these cars on a shoestring IMO (well, you can/could, but it'll cost you twice as much in the long run)!

That's more like it, I'll purchase them on pay day! All well and good people saying you can't run these on a budget, but when your circumstances change and you're running a 2 bed house that has it's own problems, you need to make the savings elsewhere don't you.

Edited by pow