sayanthan

considering colour change to an individual color - how will this affect re-sale value?

I'm toying with the idea of color changing my e39 m5 from carbon black - to one of the bmw individual colors.

will this reduce re-sale value?

the interior is currently black leather (ostritch) with the dark grey alcantara headlining and brushed titanium trim, taking this into account I'm considering:

Techno-violett metallic (299)

Nachtblau metallic (453)

Stahlgrau metallic (400)

and perhaps getting the interior trims wrapped in leather matching the body color combined with extended leather - doorcards/upper lower dash in black.

I'm budgeting for around £5000-7000 for a bare shell respray if I do this.

the purist will say it will but a respray of that quality is nigh on concours so imo is a bonus ( if it's a nice colour that is lol )

lets face it ...older BMWs that have been restored have all been painted ..what difference is a complete colour change ...ii would go for it if you can..tihink of the satisfaction you will have alone having personalised the car  to your spec

*If* the M5 becomes that type of classic and you're doing it with an eye on future profits (or at least residuals) then of course, you've answered your own question.

If you're just sharing your thoughts and soliciting feedback on what we all think of your choice then by all means, change the colour; it's not like any of us will be affected by your choice is it ?! :)

As @The Flying Banana said, there are plenty that have been resprayed and "improved" so if a respray is required why not do it make yourself happy in the here and now.

20 minutes ago, adamhearn said:

*If* the M5 becomes that type of classic and you're doing it with an eye on future profits (or at least residuals) then of course, you've answered your own question.

that's what I don't know. will it or won't it?

(Assuming the re-spray is done to a high standard)

I think the first question you should ask yourself is "if I get the car sprayed will I keep it or sell it?"

If you plan is to keep it long term and enjoy it, your pleasure will outweigh the slight price difference on a car that you are not planning to sell!!!!

2 hours ago, dan101smith said:

Yes, it will reduce its value in the future. Rightly or wrongly, part of what drives the value of classics is originality and yours won't match its build sheet.

Second that.

When you say a bare shell respray do you mean have the car stripped to a bare shell and then blasted/dipped back to bare metal? If so then £5-7k won’t be anywhere near enough even if you strip and rebuild the car yourself. 

^ This - i think if one is going to do a colour change then you want all the shuts done, under bonnet, boot, underside etc done so that the "evidence" of a previous colour is gone. That would grate with me if not.

If you are fancying a change just for yourself - why not a wrap?

My twopence worth - in the foreseeable future the only cars that may see substantial value increases will be ultra low mileage, low owner, full history type cars. I think it will be years, if ever, if the more run of the mill cars saw large value rises.

Unless yours is one of the former then you won't see your money back on a proper bare metal colour change for many years and even then it won't be original so likely slightly impaired valuewise.

Changing the  colour would IMO devalue your car and that is before you  factor in the  cost of a  respray, so don't do it, its a lose lose.

10 hours ago, kobayashi said:

When you say a bare shell respray do you mean have the car stripped to a bare shell and then blasted/dipped back to bare metal? If so then £5-7k won’t be anywhere near enough even if you strip and rebuild the car yourself. 

not sure it would need to be blasted/dipped back to bare metal, though am not expert in this area.

9 hours ago, skeeterm5 said:

My twopence worth - in the foreseeable future the only cars that may see substantial value increases will be ultra low mileage, low owner, full history type cars. I think it will be years, if ever, if the more run of the mill cars saw large value rises.

Unless yours is one of the former then you won't see your money back on a proper bare metal colour change for many years and even then it won't be original so likely slightly impaired valuewise.

it isn't just the ultra low mileage cars. I've been offered £21k for my car as is. It's in very nice condition, over maintained and above average spec with FBMWSH. I do want it to keep appreciating,

I'm wondering if I need to do the color change at a BMW main dealer. That might be what I need to do.

Technoviolet is the color I'm erring towards.

Dont do it!

Resale value will be affected for sure

I wouldn't buy a colour changed car on something like an m5 I'm afraid. 

I fear the cost and reduction in value and market appeal outweighs it. 

As as I say what about a wrap asbthays reversible. 

11 hours ago, sayanthan said:

I'm wondering if I need to do the color change at a BMW main dealer. That might be what I need to do.

It isn't.

If you want to do a colour change then go ahead, but it will reduce its resale value, irrespective of who does it.

11 hours ago, sayanthan said:

it isn't just the ultra low mileage cars. I've been offered £21k for my car as is. It's in very nice condition, over maintained and above average spec with FBMWSH. I do want it to keep appreciating,

Technoviolet is the color I'm erring towards.

I would snap their hand off :)

At £21k I would take it and laugh all the way to the bank. As much as the e39 is a fantastic car, I don't see them appreciating much more at all.

In the grand scheme of things it would affect the resale value and the desirability to the majority of potential future owners.

You would be better off sourcing an Individual M5 with lower mileage that may be worth slightly more due to the rarity factor and lower build numbers as this has a very large affect on price and desirability, but ultimately it is your car and your choice. Getting it done at a BWM dealer would not add any weight to a colour change either except it would cost more and probably not done as well as an independent body shop.

I looked at an e34 M5 Touring in Germany in 2016 that I could have had for 31000 Euros, it was base spec and no history for the first 90,000km. Look at the price of them now, but that is because they were produced in low numbers and are rare which an e39 M5 is not at the moment.

cheers

On 1/1/2018 at 5:31 PM, dan101smith said:

Yes, it will reduce its value in the future. Rightly or wrongly, part of what drives the value of classics is originality and yours won't match its build sheet.

I was on the fence with this one - but that's a very good point.

I’ll probably keep the color as is then.

I actually think the prices have some way to go up further.

wait for the ropey ones to end up in breakers yards.

I’d give it 5 years, expect £30k for nice ones and £40+ for mint low mileage examples.

I can't help but think there is some realignment due in the "classic" car market in the near future some prices are quite ridiculous. I was reading porsche prices have humped so would expect others to follow.

1 hour ago, sayanthan said:

I’d give it 5 years, expect £30k for nice ones and £40+ for mint low mileage examples

The thing there's got to be few [if any] mint low milers left [in the UK at least]. Prices are stupid for what amounts to a modern, prone to rusting, potentially expensive to run vehicle. But then there's always someone with a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket...

I honestly don't believe you that you have been offered and [more to the point] turned down 21K for your car as it is :x Speculating on it accruing another 9K in 5 seems a little risky (bird in the hand and all that).

22 hours ago, sayanthan said:

I’ll probably keep the color as is then.

I actually think the prices have some way to go up further.

wait for the ropey ones to end up in breakers yards.

I’d give it 5 years, expect £30k for nice ones and £40+ for mint low mileage examples.

I would be very surprised.

Too many were produced. As great as they were/are I think they have peaked.

Hi,

There's a small chance E39 M5's will hit selling prices of £40K for sub 50K miled, fantastic condition, right colour/spec, masses of invoices and bills for maintenance and proof of preventative work in the next 5 years. There's a slightly better chance of that in perhaps 10-15,20+ years time though!

There's too many odds stacked against that actually happening though, the turmoil that is Brexit could potentially have negative effects lasting the decade after March 2019 so people's jobs and businesses will be under more threat/pressure. Interest rates are looking likely to  rise over the next few years and the banks are becoming more stringent on who to lend to. There's also the aspect that over the next 5,10,15 & 20+ years time that insurance/VED/fuel prices will rise significantly for fossil fueled cars and there'll be extra tax levels imposed on parts for such cars too. Given also, it's looking likely that the masses will adopt electric cars, interest in fossil fueled cars will decrease. Only 'enthusiasts' who have very deep pockets will want to consider such cars and the 'fast variants' of normal bread and butter cars (M Power, RS, AMG etc) will have a very small niche. The cost of living will most likely rise during this 'investment' period many talk about and more people will realise that getting the basic requirements of living covered and paid for will override 'luxury' items like a £40,000 'old' car. Add in the costs for anyone 'hoping' M5's will rise in actual selling prices for things like storage over the years to keep the mileage down, buying detailing and protection products, having such a car fully valeted/cleaned/polished once or twice a year, treating any signs of corrosion/rust/condition issues, it's very very unlikely there'll be any realized 'profit'. 

Painting an E39 that is currently thought of to have a selling price in the future more than £21K will vastly reduce the potential interest from those with very deep pockets. For 'BIG' money selling prices, the car *must* be original. I'd suggest spending a good few grand on getting the original paintwork in as best as condition as possible and then getting a high quality wrap done if a colour change is wanted on this car. If that doesn't appeal, then get a £5-8K example and have that car resprayed instead with the view it's not a 'long term investment' type of car. I'd also say go for a more daring colour choice as the ones mentioned so far won't turn any heads and are just another blue or grey BMW. Techno Violet is very nice, but again, it's 'quite' common on BMW/Alpina examples (The B3S we had in the family was TV). Better still would be a BMW colour from the Individual range from other models and era BMW's and better still, a more daring colour from any other vehicle marque. 

Lastly, see if you can get in touch with the prospective buyer who offered you £21K and ask very very nicely if he'd like to progress!..   I daresay that person won't want to though !

Let's visit this and other similar threads in 2023, 2028, 2033 and 2038 :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Regardless of whether E39 M5 values continue to appreciate or flatline, the overriding consideration IMO in buying one is to drive the thing, and to enjoy driving it. it is after all the last M5 to come with a manual gearbox, and clutch pedal. Sorry but I cannot abide folk who buy a car and then lock it away for X number of years in the hope that it will have a big increase in value.