sayanthan

considering colour change to an individual color - how will this affect re-sale value?

On 03/01/2018 at 7:39 PM, adamhearn said:

The thing there's got to be few [if any] mint low milers left [in the UK at least]. Prices are stupid for what amounts to a modern, prone to rusting, potentially expensive to run vehicle. But then there's always someone with a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket...

I honestly don't believe you that you have been offered and [more to the point] turned down 21K for your car as it is :x Speculating on it accruing another 9K in 5 seems a little risky (bird in the hand and all that).

I did. I had 2 offers.

1 person who viewed the car at goodwood last year and one other.

I’m not suggesting for a moment my car is the best out there or in the top 50 UK cars and I have nothing to gain by making something up like that, I really don’t need the money. I’ve seen and driven 20-30 e39 M5’s. It’s the second best car I’ve driven and cosmetically in the top 5 cars I’ve seen. 

11 hours ago, sayanthan said:

I did. I had 2 offers.

1 person who viewed the car at goodwood last year and one other.

I’m not suggesting for a moment my car is the best out there or in the top 50 UK cars and I have nothing to gain by making something up like that, I really don’t need the money. I’ve seen and driven 20-30 e39 M5’s. It’s the second best car I’ve driven and cosmetically in the top 5 cars I’ve seen. 

I don't disbelieve you one little bit, a few people are speculating where the price is going to be in a few years seen to be a bit out of touch.I've been looking for a pristine example for three years or so and they are just not out there at any money, even looked at the hexagon car for 50k, 10k more than I wanted to spend and it wasn't all that good and that has sold now. As for the numbers argument there were way less made than many other classics of note, and the Brexit and fossil fuel argument is just laughable.  

Just to edit.... the hexagon car was 45k not 50k like I said, must be getting old, they do however have one for 50k now though it seems.

Edited by 711jrp
spelling

4 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

There's a small chance E39 M5's will hit selling prices of £40K for sub 50K miled, fantastic condition, right colour/spec, masses of invoices and bills for maintenance and proof of preventative work in the next 5 years. There's a slightly better chance of that in perhaps 10-15,20+ years time though!

There's too many odds stacked against that actually happening though, the turmoil that is Brexit could potentially have negative effects lasting the decade after March 2019 so people's jobs and businesses will be under more threat/pressure. Interest rates are looking likely to  rise over the next few years and the banks are becoming more stringent on who to lend to. There's also the aspect that over the next 5,10,15 & 20+ years time that insurance/VED/fuel prices will rise significantly for fossil fueled cars and there'll be extra tax levels imposed on parts for such cars too. Given also, it's looking likely that the masses will adopt electric cars, interest in fossil fueled cars will decrease. Only 'enthusiasts' who have very deep pockets will want to consider such cars and the 'fast variants' of normal bread and butter cars (M Power, RS, AMG etc) will have a very small niche. The cost of living will most likely rise during this 'investment' period many talk about and more people will realise that getting the basic requirements of living covered and paid for will override 'luxury' items like a £40,000 'old' car. Add in the costs for anyone 'hoping' M5's will rise in actual selling prices for things like storage over the years to keep the mileage down, buying detailing and protection products, having such a car fully valeted/cleaned/polished once or twice a year, treating any signs of corrosion/rust/condition issues, it's very very unlikely there'll be any realized 'profit'. 

Painting an E39 that is currently thought of to have a selling price in the future more than £21K will vastly reduce the potential interest from those with very deep pockets. For 'BIG' money selling prices, the car *must* be original. I'd suggest spending a good few grand on getting the original paintwork in as best as condition as possible and then getting a high quality wrap done if a colour change is wanted on this car. If that doesn't appeal, then get a £5-8K example and have that car resprayed instead with the view it's not a 'long term investment' type of car. I'd also say go for a more daring colour choice as the ones mentioned so far won't turn any heads and are just another blue or grey BMW. Techno Violet is very nice, but again, it's 'quite' common on BMW/Alpina examples (The B3S we had in the family was TV). Better still would be a BMW colour from the Individual range from other models and era BMW's and better still, a more daring colour from any other vehicle marque. 

Lastly, see if you can get in touch with the prospective buyer who offered you £21K and ask very very nicely if he'd like to progress!..   I daresay that person won't want to though !

Let's visit this and other similar threads in 2023, 2028, 2033 and 2038 :)

Cheers, Dennis!

I don’t believe Brexit will have a significant impact. Enthusiasts with money will spend it. 

Many of The people who love these cars will be around for another 20 years, I don’t see interest waning significantly. The number on the road on the other hand will start to drop significantly over the next 5 years so let’s see. Electric....who cares! Any M5 in mint condition under 100k miles (or 100k+ and fully restored) with a full BMW main dealer history will be worth £25k.

If tastefully modified, = Headers/rarer mods/styling - hamaan, ac schnitzer, Dinan etc. £30k.

Sub 50k mileage cars will hit up to £40k.

Supercharged cars:- , £25k now,  (if a high level install)

£30k-35k in 5 years time.

Bring on 2023!

Modified ones will not be worth as much as completely standard ones, regardless of what is done to them.

Ones that will increase in value and be valuable will be completely bog standard original.

An Ac schnitzer converted M5 (genuine parts obviously), Dinan S2’s etc. I guarantee will attract a premium. A slim bones diffuser and k sport brake kit won’t. I guess it’s each to their own, I believe there is a Market there.

Period mods don’t detract too much from values although I agree that totally standard original cars will be worth the most money. 

As with all things it all it all depends on what becomes desirable, it wasn’t that long ago that you could buy a decent E28 M5 for £8k and look at them now. E34’s have yet to really appreciate despite their limited numbers and being downright brilliant. I’m not holding my breath for E39 prices to go through the roof either. I’ll just enjoy mine for what it is.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, sayanthan said:

An Ac schnitzer converted M5 (genuine parts obviously), Dinan S2’s etc. I guarantee will attract a premium. A slim bones diffuser and k sport brake kit won’t. I guess it’s each to their own, I believe there is a Market there.

Maybe, but probably not. Look at all the cars that hold value and have made a lot of money, low production numbers and standard cars. Ferrari's, Porsche's don't attract the same premium if modified beyond manufacturer options.

Going to be fun finding out, but think the e39 M5 has peaked in value. Too many were produced.

cheers

^ wot i said ;)

Certainly the housing market has softened in the last 9 months so those that say Brexit isn't having affect are wrong IMO, it may work out in the long run but certainly in the south east i get the feeling those with the money are sitting on it pending the outcome of it all. We looked at a larger house 12months ago but even after a cheeky offer we decided against it being as we would be stretched, without savings and at the mercy of a interest rate rise and a potential down turn in business. i would have felt very exposed.

The follow on from that is people aren't splashing the cash in the same way. e39 M5's may appreciate but not for a good few years yet and to what level? Who knows but supply and demand tells me a 1 of 187 e28 M5 (UK RHD-not sure how many are left) is going to be more in demand and hence subject to price inflation than a 1 of what 8000? UK RHD e39s?

27 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

.. 1 of what 8000? UK RHD e39s?

1951 UK E39 M5's out of 2743 RHD E39 M5's.

So obviously many more E39's than E28's, but maybe not as many as you'd think.  The E39 likes to rust in hidden places too, it won't be long before a lot of apparently good cars are fit for the scrap heap.

But back to the OP's question, will it devalue the car to change it's colour, to most potential buyers, yes it will.  It will be worth less after the change than before, so you lose value and pay money for the privilege.

Aaah ok, clearly i made that figure up :lol: still 14x more e39s and I'd be surprised if there are 40-50 roadworthy e28s but i take your point.