Vlady

What about F30 335d xdrive?

Hi all, am I crazy of thinking of F30 335d xdrive? 
I am happy with my 5 series, very, it has been so far one of the most reliable cars i had, it is quite, powerful enough in almost all the situations, comfortable and economical, love the color and the engine sound and even an e60 body really grow on me but I  had it for 3 years now and thinking of something else. I can't afford to buy a new 5 series and I would like an xdrive this time. I was thinking and I actually quite like an x3 but it might be a bit to big for my purposes so that leaves me with 3 series (1 ser on a small side). Why 335d? I like the idea of going to 62mph in 5 seconds and getting 45mpg on a longer run plus an extra traction of xdrive. It's not many that I like right now on Autotrader. as I think. I know what I would like to have in my new (other) BMW but I need to make up my mind first.

Its just take on PCP or any other deal seems a bit dodgy as I am not sure what will be happening to diesel in a next 3 years plus at the moment I am travelling to work 16miles each way and we have a chance to relocate at the end of this coming year and the distance might be much less which is not ideal for diesel.

It is probably the time of the year that I am thinking about changing the current car as I don't do my motorbike riding and just bored, usually during summer times I am thinking about new bike! Am I the only one this crazy?!

I have read F30 not the quite car and I like my cars to be quite, is it that bad? Or I just need to go for a test drive and decide (be smitten and go for one) or just be strong for a another month, keep the e60 and buy a new bike, it will be BMW as well btw, as my 19 YO Yamaha needs to be changed!

Any info everyone?

Cheers in advance! Happy New Year!

Vlady

13 hours ago, McFar67 said:

What about a 435d x drive, I test drove a gran coupe, a few more toys n drives superbly? 

I have looked at them but Gran Coupe are very expensive! I was looking in a region 20-22.5k

12 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Seen to be a fair number of 335 xDrivers compain about unstable handling surprisingly, most seem to have changed springs to improve things. Google the forums. 

Thanks Dave, this is new to me, I would expect them to handle brilliantly! Yep, need to do more research, still would like to drive one! :)

Mrs Sharkfan has had her 2015 435d xdrive msport Cab for a year or so now; it does everything really well except the engine note. No handling problems, 45+ mpg easily achievable, very rapid and a nice place to sit especially with the heated sports seats and heated steering wheel. It's a much, much nicer on ride on its 18" run-flats than on all the other cars we tested with their 19's, and the six pot diesel is enormously better than the four pot diesel in the range which really does sound like a tractor; we had a 420d Gran Coupe for a week while ours was being sorted and it was an awful ride on 19" run flats and sounded dreadful too.

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

I have looked at them but Gran Coupe are very expensive! I was looking in a region 20-22.5k

Okay mate, guy my work has a 335d touring, he loves it. 

The 3 to me just seems more basic, less up market, too used to a fiver I suppose. 

Recently bought this in 330d flavour.

172_BED5_B-26_B4-4_D43-_A73_E-_EF70_DDEC

It’s amazingly quick and accomplished, and build quality is miles better then the E90 range. It has all the fandango brakes ( Brilliant) and pro media thing ( Excellent) Will light up all 4 wheels int the wet/Sport + ( Amusing) and handles really well. Heated wheel is something i would never have ordered, but i love it. 

6 hours ago, McFar67 said:

Okay mate, guy my work has a 335d touring, he loves it. 

The 3 to me just seems more basic, less up market, too used to a fiver I suppose. 

This is what I am afraid of - too used to 5er! :)

It is a bit ,ore basic, this is why I think it should be well specced to bring up the quality.

2 hours ago, roofer said:

Recently bought this in 330d flavour.

172_BED5_B-26_B4-4_D43-_A73_E-_EF70_DDEC

It’s amazingly quick and accomplished, and build quality is miles better then the E90 range. It has all the fandango brakes ( Brilliant) and pro media thing ( Excellent) Will light up all 4 wheels int the wet/Sport + ( Amusing) and handles really well. Heated wheel is something i would never have ordered, but i love it. 

Hi Roofer. thanks for input, nice car you have there! Never heard of fandango brakes! 

I like 330d as well, it all depends on the spec of course. Do you consider the car being noisy?

How is it on a fuel?

The heated steering wheel is a great option, I never had one but I would love one as I hate wearing gloves whilst driving!

Hi,

i get 500 miles to a tank, £60 to fill. Tyres are the main source of noise, being runflats. I’ll revert to normal tyres when they’re due. Engine makes a pleasing growl, not dieselly at all. All round, a nice place to sit.

11 hours ago, roofer said:

Hi,

i get 500 miles to a tank, £60 to fill. Tyres are the main source of noise, being runflats. I’ll revert to normal tyres when they’re due. Engine makes a pleasing growl, not dieselly at all. All round, a nice place to sit.

Thanks Roofer, let us please know if non-RFT will change the situations with the noise. When I changed my RFT to non RFT the car became more compliant but not sure about the noise, well,  may be a bit quieter.

500miles not bad at all for an 4 wheel driven car and better than my 525d does with the tank 70l!

I have a 2012 X5 that I binned the runflats on, huge transformation in noise. Will probably fit Pirelli’s to the 3, have found them to be quite reasonable from a noise perspective.

With all this beautiful weather I am pretty sure my next car will be 4x4 (xdrive) and now I am really considering an x3 (F25), the one after the restailing i.e 2015 onwards! 

Still like a 3 series though, but with 2 kids an X3 will be probably more suitable for a family.

X3’s in your budget might be a bit....crap. I sat in the new model yesterday, it’s nearly as big as the E70 X5 !

12 hours ago, Blobby said:

The possibilities..... 

I think this is a sign of a happy man! A review from the 335D xDrive done the other day.

andyreview.PNG.aa88db8da2ed8c1044690a23b39c589e.PNG

Bloody hell, 400bhp?! This car is fast anyway I can't even imagine how it shifts with increased power! Super fast!

13 hours ago, roofer said:

X3’s in your budget might be a bit....crap. I sat in the new model yesterday, it’s nearly as big as the E70 X5 !

I agree, you can get one (good one) for about £25k, it will be 65 plates but 4 cylinder engine. 

I need to sort out my wifes car first and then dream about mine upgrade! :)

I treated myself to my very first brand new car last year for my 40th and got an F25 X3 2.0D.

Although it looks the dog's bollocks (I need to get pics up) and came with a decent spec it just feels so dull.It's a hard and noisy ride,the engine sounds like a black cab on tickover and the steering is far too light for my liking.

The 8 speed gearbox is good though,it glides through the gears and you don't feel the changes and the Xdrive worked tremendously with the recent weather.

The wife talked me into it.I wanted a 5 tourer but we had an e53 X5 at the time and she preferred the high driving position.

It would definitely have to be a 3.0 to get any enjoyment out of these.

On 05/03/2018 at 5:15 AM, Vlady said:

Bloody hell, 400bhp?! This car is fast anyway I can't even imagine how it shifts with increased power! Super fast!

They make around 380-385BHP/730Nm or so on a stage 1, but we rescale the performance gauges and they come very close to 400bhp with the scale shrunk down! :) 

Stage 2 does about 420-430bhp at around 800Nm and stage 3 will do 470-500BHP/1000Nm depending on turbos and fuel pump.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Took an X3 (2017 plates) for a test drive as BMW have good deals just now (0% finance), nice car, good spec, good offer but 20" wheels just a killer, yes, they do look good, actually they look great but the car would drive so much nicer on 18's or even 19's! Plus it had 2.0l engine which I was not I impressed with and expected more from gearbox, this one was a bit jerky from the start! I took about 3.5 years ago for a test drive F10 520d Auto and it felt fast, quite and smooth, an X3 didn't!

Next on the list probably 3series x-drive to test but looks like it will have to be a 3.0l engine!

My 5er felt so nice when I got back into it, smooth and that 6cylinder engine noise is so much better, I love my car! :)

It felt like an old comfortable chair! 

On 5/11/2018 at 5:27 PM, Vlady said:

Took an X3 (2017 plates) for a test drive as BMW have good deals just now (0% finance), nice car, good spec, good offer but 20" wheels just a killer, yes, they do look good, actually they look great but the car would drive so much nicer on 18's or even 19's! Plus it had 2.0l engine which I was not I impressed with and expected more from gearbox, this one was a bit jerky from the start! I took about 3.5 years ago for a test drive F10 520d Auto and it felt fast, quite and smooth, an X3 didn't!

Next on the list probably 3series x-drive to test but looks like it will have to be a 3.0l engine!

My 5er felt so nice when I got back into it, smooth and that 6cylinder engine noise is so much better, I love my car! :)

It felt like an old comfortable chair! 

Exactly like what I said!  They just don't feel prestige do they?  Mine's on a PCP deal and as soon as I hit the 51% on the payments they are getting the keys back and I'm going to get a used 5 or possibly 3 tourer. Sod what the wife thinks.If she wants a high driving position then she's going to have to get herself a booster seat!

Edited by bmwtransit

11 hours ago, bmwtransit said:

Exactly like what I said!  They just don't feel prestige do they?  Mine's on a PCP deal and as soon as I hit the 51% on the payments they are getting the keys back and I'm going to get a used 5 or possibly 3 tourer. Sod what the wife thinks.If she wants a high driving position then she's going to have to get herself a booster seat!

Nope, they don't feel that special inside, I would be looking into Audi Q5 or Volvo XC40 probably as well as 3.0ltr X3. I am not desperate to change the car as my wife is still on maternity leave but may be next year I will.

Was looking at 3-series Tourer as well, love them with 3.0ltr engine too! But Ilike the idea sitting a bit higher of the ground! :) May be Mazda cx-5! Who knows?! lol!

With the amount of miles you do, economy really doesn't need to be your primary motivation here.  Get something with a 6 cylinder petrol engine instead.  Sounds great, cleaner than diesel, no worries about low emissions zones, and still economical enough if you behave yourself even some of the time.

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

With the amount of miles you do, economy really doesn't need to be your primary motivation here.  Get something with a 6 cylinder petrol engine instead.  Sounds great, cleaner than diesel, no worries about low emissions zones, and still economical enough if you behave yourself even some of the time.

Don't give me any cray ideas! lol! :)

I had a look on my lunch - there are couple examples available that I like, one of them 340i saloon, looks great! 

That engine probably sound fantastic! It says they can get above 30mpg in mixed driving, can they?!