Sign in to follow this  
john_ate

E39 B10 V8S Exhaust

Just got hold of a V8S halfcut here in Malaysia, came from Japan but missing its exhaust after the cat.

Is there anything special about the Alpina exhausts, or am I better off doing a custom one?

20171226_120245.jpg

20171226_114402.jpg

IMG-20171222-WA0160.jpg

IMG-20171222-WA0112.jpg

IMG-20171222-WA0110.jpg

41 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

You've got the manifolds attached to the engine still I assume? Go custom from there back.

I got the manifolds up to the cat. after that its missing. high probability would have to custom a backbox

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Just visited Malaysia and saw very  few bmws. Just a couple of 7s and one e36. 

Did see a seemingly empty shop with an e type and a xk120 mind :blink:

Not many compared to other makes, but still plenty around. My E39 was imported from UK though when I left after I finished my studies in 2010. Its an Aegean Blue Edition.

Edited by john_ate

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

I'd worry about the other half of the car first! 

I didnt know the "cut and shuts" still existed....

Its quite normal to buy a 'halfcut' and do a conversion of cars here in Malaysia as new car prices are very high. (An F80 M3 is about MYR 780,000 / GBP142,000 brand new).

Most of our halfcuts come from Japan, sometimes from UK too depending on models. Japan is preferable due to the high mileage and rust on UK cars.

1 hour ago, john_ate said:

Not many compared to other makes, but still plenty around. My E39 was imported from UK though when I left after I finished my studies in 2010. Its an Aegean Blue Edition.

To be fair we were out in langkawi and not the mainland and didn't venture too far. 

1 hour ago, john_ate said:

Its quite normal to buy a 'halfcut' and do a conversion of cars here in Malaysia as new car prices are very high. (An F80 M3 is about MYR 780,000 / GBP142,000 brand new).

Most of our halfcuts come from Japan, sometimes from UK too depending on models. Japan is preferable due to the high mileage and rust on UK cars.

Fair enough. 

Are they as "good" as solid whole cars when done? Or do they have extra twist in the chassis? 

Why are they cut up in the first place? I take it they have been smashed up and the better half (so to speak) is re-used? 

Im fascinated by it if I'm honest, will you be doing a (re)build thread?

5 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Fair enough. 

Are they as "good" as solid whole cars when done? Or do they have extra twist in the chassis? 

Why are they cut up in the first place? I take it they have been smashed up and the better half (so to speak) is re-used? 

you don't typically use any of the shell LOL.

its to get good parts into the country without extra taxes etc, much quicker to just chop a car in half and strap it down than to dismantle it and try to strap everything down on a pallet individually.

if it anything like Australia you can't import non AUS spec models, however you can bolt and mod all the parts to fit your AUS model, look up the mightycarmods Mira build on youtube, they take over the front and rear cuts of a 4x4 turbo kei car and graft the lot into a very basic 2wd non turbo AUS spec mira, including the rear floor.

Edited by welshpug

2 minutes ago, welshpug said:

you don't typically use any of the shell LOL.

The only stupid question to ask is the question you don't ask! 

Im unaware of the procedure in other countries and was asking questions based on my limited knowledge of cars that have been cut up! 

So why not buy a complete car and use that? Why cut up a car then transfer the parts onto a complete car? Seems arse about tit if you ask me? It can't be much cheaper in the long run, if the reason for doing so is to save money? 

import taxes and rules about non country models etc make it prohibitively expensive and at worse impossible to do it legally.

throwing a few dozen palletted half cuts in a container is much cheaper than shipping a car safely.

It all have to do with import taxes.

It is imported as 'parts' and not a 'car'. They are in a very different tax brackets. The requirement for a 'parts' unit is that they have to be chopped up so they cannot be used as a complete unit. But both the front and rear cuts can come in together. The tax for a 'parts' unit is very cheap.

You can bring in a whole car, if you are prepared to pay the taxes. For example, I got my 530i Sport Aegean Edition in 2010 for £5300 in UK. The import tax alone was more than the car at £8000.

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

To be fair we were out in langkawi and not the mainland and didn't venture too far. 

That was why. Langkawi is a tax-free haven, and cars on the island dont go to the mainland often and vice versa due to rules about import and taxes etc. People buy Lamborghini and Ferraris on the island to avoid tax and use them for a maximum of 3 months a year on the mainland. But they are mainland people and keep the car in storage on the island.

56 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Fair enough. 

Not sure, probably will when I'm done. Major work on the car throughout 2017, retrofitting sunroof, M5 seats, electric steering, etc etc. 

Basically most of the car has genuine M5 parts apart from the engine and brakes, but I hate the manual to drive around Kuala Lumpur which is always in a massive traffic all the time.

So the auto 4.8 Alpina fits fine into my requirement, and available at a right timing too!

54 minutes ago, john_ate said:

It all have to do with import taxes.

It is imported as 'parts' and not a 'car'. They are in a very different tax brackets. The requirement for a 'parts' unit is that they have to be chopped up so they cannot be used as a complete unit. But both the front and rear cuts can come in together. The tax for a 'parts' unit is very cheap.

You can bring in a whole car, if you are prepared to pay the taxes. For example, I got my 530i Sport Aegean Edition in 2010 for £5300 in UK. The import tax alone was more than the car at £8000.

:shock: 

I see says the blind man....

is there no way around it? I.e. Register the car in another country then use it where you live? Or does it not matter as you are required to pay tax no matter what? 

And we thought we had a bad deal in the U.K. Regarding tax..... 

52 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

:shock: 

I see says the blind man....

is there no way around it? I.e. Register the car in another country then use it where you live? Or does it not matter as you are required to pay tax no matter what? 

And we thought we had a bad deal in the U.K. Regarding tax..... 

The 'halfcuts' IS the way around it I'm afraid..its the same story in the neighbouring countries, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia. Some even more than us in Malaysia.

5 minutes ago, john_ate said:

The 'halfcuts' IS the way around it I'm afraid..its the same story in the neighbouring countries, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia. Some even more than us in Malaysia.

Ok Wow, why is the import tax so high? Is that to encourage you to buy locally produced goods? 

Supposed to be something like that, but its been in place for so long nobody remembers why. And the government can't let go of it since its a massive source of income now.

I'm happy to report its all up and running now!

Took us about two weeks to complete the conversion. Everything works, it helps that most stuff from my car can be reused again (body harness, DSC etc).

The MAF that came with the halfcut was dead, ordered it from ebay and borrowed one from a friend for a couple of weeks before it arrives.

I end up sourcing a 540i exhaust, it'll do for now.

20180215_120340.jpg

20180214_163550.jpg

20180215_115820.jpg

Nice blending of the colours! You can't even see the grey bit! Top job! 

;) 

and before anyone says something, I know it was just for parts..... 

;) 

Why couldnt you get a exhaust made up? Or is there stupid rules on that as well over there?